What's new

Blackland Sabre

Sabre Week!
Starting out with the Level 1 plate. Today was smooth and easy, nice and close, almost felt carefree! The weight of the handle kept me focused, as some of my "hands-free" razors are very light, and due to being tired or inattentive, I found myself almost forgetting what razor I had! (Great work, Shane @Blackland Razors , making the Sabre! I don't think the Blackbird nor my prized Vector would ever make me forget the tool!) Blade is one of the GEMS that come with the Sabre.
Brush is the Yaqi tuxedo in the Mysterious Space handle. (which, come to think of it, would pair well with the other worldly look of the Vector!)

Glad to hear it! The L1 was made to be smoother, comfortable, and easy to use.

Hello gentlemen

I'm not a fan of the thinness of double edged blades, I've used a lot of different ones and now I only have the RR wunderbar on hand.
I use AC razors and injectors daily (love vector).

I need stronger blades!

I have never used a gem razor.
I was going to start with Micromatic but then I remembered that there is this great Sabre

What I would like to ask you guys is if Sabre has any comparison with AC razors especially vector.
Is it a milder characteristic? What is the difference in small and deep shave?
Does the gem blade have a longer life than the AC blade? Is.
As an addendum, I use AC blades for 5-7 days in a row.

Not doubting the excellence of blackland's work, but maybe a little push back.......

I'm holding off for now because the lv2 plates are in short supply🤣.

Hello gentlemen

I'm not a fan of the thinness of double edged blades, I've used a lot of different ones and now I only have the RR wunderbar on hand.
I use AC razors and injectors daily (love vector).

I need stronger blades!

I have never used a gem razor.
I was going to start with Micromatic but then I remembered that there is this great Sabre

What I would like to ask you guys is if Sabre has any comparison with AC razors especially vector.
Is it a milder characteristic? What is the difference in small and deep shave?
Does the gem blade have a longer life than the AC blade? Is.
As an addendum, I use AC blades for 5-7 days in a row.

Not doubting the excellence of blackland's work, but maybe a little push back.......

I'm holding off for now because the lv2 plates are in short supply🤣.

The primary differences between the Sabre and Vector are blade choice and weight. GEM blades last extremely long (10-20+ shaves for some users) and are quite good, but we only recommend one GEM blade so you’re limited. Sabre L1 is similar to the Vector with a guarded blade. Sabre L2 is closer to a Vector with a Feather Pro, but a tad milder. With the Sabre’s weight, you can let gravity do the work for you and get great glide while the Vector requires adding a bit of pressure.

The Vector is more versatile and the Sabre is more foolproof.

Last edited:
Great to have Shane give the maker's input! I am an odd ball in that I found the SS Vector to be too much no matter what blade I had in it, but when I got to try the titanium version it became The One! Well, for AC blades!

I tried a Sabre and after 3 days ordered the whole kit for myself. I find it, compared to the titanium Vector, to be just as Shane describes above. I prefer a more mild razor, but want the efficiency of a beast razor. The Sabre L2 and the Vector with a Proline (Warning: Prolines are no longer a recommended blade due to fit issues of the blade) deliver in spades for me.

The primary differences between the Sabre and Vector are blade choice and weight. GEM blades last extremely long (10-20+ shaves for some users) and are quite good, but we only recommend one GEM blade so you’re limited. Sabre L1 is similar to the Vector with a guarded blade. Sabre L2 is closer to a Vector with a Feather Pro, but a tad milder. With the Sabre’s weight, you can let gravity do the work for you and get great glide while the Vector requires adding a bit of pressure.

The Vector is more versatile and the Sabre is more foolproof.
Shane, thanks for the quick reply and explanation.
I see, L1 might be a good daily driver for me.
I may not need the l2, but my instinct is to get one 🤣.
I will enjoy adding a few more blackland products to my collection.

Great to have Shane give the maker's input! I am an odd ball in that I found the SS Vector to be too much no matter what blade I had in it, but when I got to try the titanium version it became The One! Well, for AC blades!

I tried a Sabre and after 3 days ordered the whole kit for myself. I find it, compared to the titanium Vector, to be just as Shane describes above. I prefer a more mild razor, but want the efficiency of a beast razor. The Sabre L2 and the Vector with a Proline (Warning: Prolines are no longer a recommended blade due to fit issues of the blade) deliver in spades for me.
Thank you, I would love to have a titanium VECTOR, but my wife might become a demon if I buy one: ..... Why buy the same thing! she says

I would like to put Sabre on my to-buy list.
I'll buy L2 too, machine finished or polished, I enjoy the time I spend worrying about it!

I tried the Vector, both versions and prefer the Sabre overall. The titanium was the better Vector (it's really light) but I'd still rather use the Sabre. Yes, the Vector is probably more efficient but I enjoy the Sabre much more. GEMs are my favourite blades though.

The Vector may be very sleek and nimble but I've never found the Sabre clumsy.

Mine is machined. I use both plates and the L1 is certainly smoother.

Finally I got the Sabre (L2). Being a fan of both Dart and Blackbird, I eventually moved to more milder razors, but still thought the Sabre might be just for me (also plan to try a Vector sometime!).

Like all Blackland crafted razors, it's a beaut with a distinguished tasteful look only Blackland razors sport.
First shave felt super-smooth and reasonable efficient - that is until after I noticed many small cuts on my neck afterwards. This being my first GEM experience I can surely say the thick and rigid GEM blades don't take no prisoners - it peeled of a slice of skin of a bump I had coming up that I haven't even noticed. It was a contrasting experienced of superbly smooth shave, but slightly tainted by the cuts - a fellow hobbyist warned me that the GEM blades are rough on first use but get better after second use.

Second shave I finally felt it - even more smoother! And no cuts this time. What a smooth shaver the Sabre is. Now I can explicitly state that it was the new harsh GEM blade at fault. Perhaps it might benefit from some stropping prior to first use? And the razor itself is great. I'm really looking forward to many more smooth shaves with this one!

viber_image_2022-06-24_19-31-39-695.jpg

Finally I got the Sabre (L2). Being a fan of both Dart and Blackbird, I eventually moved to more milder razors, but still thought the Sabre might be just for me (also plan to try a Vector sometime!).

Like all Blackland crafted razors, it's a beaut with a distinguished tasteful look only Blackland razors sport.
First shave felt super-smooth and reasonable efficient - that is until after I noticed many small cuts on my neck afterwards. This being my first GEM experience I can surely say the thick and rigid GEM blades don't take no prisoners - it peeled of a slice of skin of a bump I had coming up that I haven't even noticed. It was a contrasting experienced of superbly smooth shave, but slightly tainted by the cuts - a fellow hobbyist warned me that the GEM blades are rough on first use but get better after second use.

Second shave I finally felt it - even more smoother! And no cuts this time. What a smooth shaver the Sabre is. Now I can explicitly state that it was the new harsh GEM blade at fault. Perhaps it might benefit from some stropping prior to first use? And the razor itself is great. I'm really looking forward to many more smooth shaves with this one!

Glad to hear it! As @Fedsbackhand said, palm stropping GEMs (pull the blade across the palm of your hand in the opposite direction of cutting) can simulate that first shave or two and get you to the smooth shaves without having to suffer through the rough ones.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1477476
My favorite GEM blade razor! :001_wub:

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My Saber L2 has risen to the top of my favorite safety razor list. It is the smoothest razor I own and the angle is intuitive. I can forsake my ATG passes, needing only buffing on my jawline to achieve a DFS with no irritation.

I love the weight of it and have gotten accustomed to the size of the head, being able to work around my snout with no issues. The machined finish is beautiful and the stand… well, if I owned a mid-sized sailing vessel, it could be repurposed as an anchor. Suffice it to say, it provides plenty of heft to support the heavy Saber.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Blackbird as well. To me, it is the best DE razor I’ve ever used. It is my most often used razor, simply because of my blade inventory. And that modern looking, light weight, nimble Vector… also a beauty and an excellent shaver. But, Shane has done something truly special with the Saber.

It begs the question: How can it be improved? What will the new version offer? Will the new head work with my handle? When will it be released? Inquiring minds and all….

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
The Sabre L2 is a fantastic razor. Silky smooth yet efficient enough for a two-pass DFS for my old whiskers. Hard to say for certain, but, it may well be my favorite razor. At least until next I use the Vector. I find the two very similar in smoothness, with a slight efficiency edge to the Vector (with AC Pro blades). I’d hate to be without either in my rotation. They are the only two SE razors I use.

IMG_5144.jpeg

Top Bottom