What's new

Blackland Sabre

DSC_0532.JPG

Oneblade Genesis is the king of my book, but now his position is shaken.

After reading countless good reviews, Blackland Sabre came with two plates.

The maiden voyage of Sabre's level 1 plate was very successful. Unlike Oneblade’s large-area worry-free contact, Sabre is like a stick made of laser light, delicate and sleek. It seems that it can only cut the stubble, without hurting the skin. After each pass, I have to touch my face to make sure that the stubble is there or not, and I don’t have the feeling that the beard is cut off, but the stubble did disappear... it’s very, very magical. The Gem PTFE after stropping on is so smooth, it is my favorite blade, no matter it is in DE, AC, Injector format, no blades can surpass it. Even with some touch-ups on the face, the aftershave still has no irritation.

Sabre level 2 plate is still so mild and smooth, I even think it is not much different from level 1 plate, the touch of the PTFE blade is really good!

Blankland Sabre explained what the top SE is, in a completely different way from Oneblade. I think the PTFE blade is the main hero, and I can settle in the Gem format because of it.

My current worry is whether to get a Sabre backup and hundreds of PTFE blades?

Last edited:
Thanks for your support and the nice review! I'm glad you're enjoying the Sabre!

The PTFE Personna blades are the only GEM blades I recommend. The good news is that they easily last most users ten shaves or more. So a pack of 100 should last you about three years of daily shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Could you compare L2's efficiency to some DE razors? I suspect it would be too mild for me.

The L2 plate is medium+ efficiency (Blackland Razors rates the L2 at 5.5/10) Not Ikon B1 Standard Or Blackland Razors Blackbird efficient but it should be plenty efficient for most shavers. I find the Sabre L2 to be a very satisfying razor that provides close and smooth shaves with no irritation.

YMMV :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I always giggle with delight when using mine. Part of my amusement is that it took me three years to talk myself into one. When you have a history of making snap decisions you either learn a little caution or go broke in a hurry...

I foresaw all kinds of negatives with it. The very first shave blew all those right outta the water.

O.H.

Could you compare L2's efficiency to some DE razors? I suspect it would be too mild for me.
Hi Baunseribicu,
I just used Sabre level 2 plate again to confirm my experience.

If you use a natural angle or riding the guard, because the blade gap is still very small, its efficiency is close to that of the Rockwell 6s No.3 plate or RR Gc 68sb, but the touch is similar to mamba53. Even if it is a level 2 plate, there is absolutely no problem using Sabre every day.

But if you are riding the cap, two days of growth, one pass, BBS and no scratched! Gem featherweight v1 (another my favorite gem) can do the same thing, but Sabre's cap is more and more comfortable.The three-piece clamping effect is indeed much better than the spring. Blackland Sabre is indeed a well thought out masterpiece.

I’m daily shaver, but I believe that using different angles, Sabre can provide you with a worry-free and comfortable shaving experience, no problem with multi-day growth.

Last edited:
I always giggle with delight when using mine. Part of my amusement is that it took me three years to talk myself into one. When you have a history of making snap decisions you either learn a little caution or go broke in a hurry...

I foresaw all kinds of negatives with it. The very first shave blew all those right outta the water.

O.H.
Sir, your reviews on Sabre is the reason I bought it, especially "after 3 years thinking about buying the most expensive razor". I am so glad I did.😁

Interesting that your previous “king” was the OneBlade Genesis. That is my favorite razor. I am so happy with it, that I will probably purchase a second one for backup. I am about to start selling off all my other razors including my two Karve’s, Rockwell, and my SE1.

The only razor I have ever considered since getting the Genesis is the Sabre. Every time I read the glowing reviews of the Sabre here and elsewhere, I start to think maybe I should try it. Then I lay down on my bed until the thought passes. I have several Gem razors and I like them although they do give me some irritation and occasionally some bloodletting. But they give a very close shave. For those that use or have used the Gem razor and the Sabre how do they compare regarding irritation.

Interesting that your previous “king” was the OneBlade Genesis. That is my favorite razor. I am so happy with it, that I will probably purchase a second one for backup. I am about to start selling off all my other razors including my two Karve’s, Rockwell, and my SE1.

The only razor I have ever considered since getting the Genesis is the Sabre. Every time I read the glowing reviews of the Sabre here and elsewhere, I start to think maybe I should try it. Then I lay down on my bed until the thought passes. I have several Gem razors and I like them although they do give me some irritation and occasionally some bloodletting. But they give a very close shave. For those that use or have used the Gem razor and the Sabre how do they compare regarding irritation.
I also have some vintage Gem razors, ex: featherweight, G-bar, Button, Junior. Because the three-piece holding mechanism is very stable, Sabre's blade jitter is much smaller than other spring-fixed gem razors. I can use Sabre with a similar DE angle, and the usable range is very large, I don’t always need to ride the cap. I never bleed on Sabre, the level 1 plate is so gentle, but you have to accept that the efficiency of it is lower. It is my right decision to get two plates.

Sabre and Oneblade Genesis experience are completely different. Genesis is a fully automatic razor, I don't have to do anything for it, because it does everything, just like Tesla model X autopilot. Sabre is like Jeep Wrangler, there is a lot of freedom and I can travel on all terrain without any scruples, because you know you won’t bump.

I've been going back and forth on getting a Sabre for a while now because every time it gets mentioned it seems like everyone who has it absolutely loves it. Finally pulled the trigger last night and it should be here in a few days. I don't think I've read one negative thing about that razor.

Old Hippie

For those that use or have used the Gem razor and the Sabre how do they compare regarding irritation.

Understanding that A) YMMV and B) I'm a bit of a fanboy for the Sabre...

Sabre L1 is very smooth particularly with a fresh blade and stays that way for me through the first three shaves. I sometimes shave out the blade on L1, other times I like the increased efficiency of the L2. Lately I've been sticking with the L1 plate because it's winter and irritation is easier for me in cold and dry conditions.

Depends on the Gem razor -- my roughest one is also the closest one, the MMOC. I've now unloaded most of my vintage Gems because I find the Sabre much nicer to use. I kept the Jr. Bar and the MMOC -- the rest, for me, were just not close shavers.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Sabre L1 is very smooth particularly with a fresh blade and stays that way for me through the first three shaves. I sometimes shave out the blade on L1, other times I like the increased efficiency of the L2. Lately I've been sticking with the L1 plate because it's winter and irritation is easier for me in cold and dry conditions.

Depends on the Gem razor -- my roughest one is also the closest one, the MMOC. I've now unloaded most of my vintage Gems because I find the Sabre much nicer to use. I kept the Jr. Bar and the MMOC -- the rest, for me, were just not close shavers.

O.H.

I really enjoy my Sabre L2 - a lot! :)

Efficient and comfortable. :cool:

O.H.
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sabre L2 for a couple months now. I currently get smooth BBS shaves out of my MMOC without any roughness, and the MM Bullet Tip Flying Wing finishes a close second in closeness and equal in smoothness. Tied for first in closeness, but a little behind in smoothness, are my 1912-style razors. The only vintage GEM that I have (and the newest) that doesn't give me a close shave is the G Bar.

Given this, would the Sabre L2 be an improvement over my MMOC, MM Bullet Tip Flying Wing, and 1912s?

Old Hippie

...would the Sabre L2 be an improvement over my MMOC, MM Bullet Tip Flying Wing, and 1912s?

[waving the "personal opinion" flag...]

If you're getting good shaves with your vintage Gems, then the Sabre isn't going to take things too much farther for you. On the one hand you've got the hot ticket (and I'm a little jealous :) ).

On the other hand, the Sabre is a stunning example of functional minimalism in design. If buying a great shave tool and having it around to use in addition to your other razors is attractive to you, then I highly encourage it. (This is B&B, after all...) If you do that I think you might consider getting both the L1 and L2 plates because the razor is just that much better with options.

I bought mine because I was getting frustrated with some of the vintage Gem shaves I was getting. I was getting better shaves from the "moderns" than from the vintage -- ATT G1 with mods, PAA Starling V2OC -- and wanted to try another modern to see if it was even better. The Sabre isn't the only option out there, but for me it really brought some great shaves.

As I've said elsewhere here, the Sabre "put a period at the end of the sentence" in my Gem search.

O.H.

Top Bottom