What's new

Blackland Sabre Observations 7 Shaves In

I bought a Blackland Sabre after reading many positive reviews of it and practically nothing negative. I'm 7 shaves in with the level 1 plate and I'm having two, seemingly contradictory, issues.

The first problem is that certain areas of my face still have stubble remaining after my usual two pass shave. I've tried concentrating on the angle I use but it seems like no matter what I do I always have stubble left somewhere I didn't expect it.

The second issue is that I've been having ingrown hairs on either side of my adams apple, which has always been a problem area for me but I solved those issues with a titanium Timeless .68 until I switched to the Blackland.

I guess I'm just confused as to why I'm leaving stubble in some areas but in others I'm getting ingrowns. Maybe the more efficient level 2 plate will solve both problems, I'll find out next week after I've used up the blade I've currently got in with the level 1 plate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I’ve only had the level 2 plate.

I haven’t had those problems. Good luck!!

+1 Same here.

I bought a Blackland Sabre after reading many positive reviews of it and practically nothing negative. I'm 7 shaves in with the level 1 plate and I'm having two, seemingly contradictory, issues.

The first problem is that certain areas of my face still have stubble remaining after my usual two pass shave. I've tried concentrating on the angle I use but it seems like no matter what I do I always have stubble left somewhere I didn't expect it.

The second issue is that I've been having ingrown hairs on either side of my adams apple, which has always been a problem area for me but I solved those issues with a titanium Timeless .68 until I switched to the Blackland.

I guess I'm just confused as to why I'm leaving stubble in some areas but in others I'm getting ingrowns. Maybe the more efficient level 2 plate will solve both problems, I'll find out next week after I've used up the blade I've currently got in with the level 1 plate.

What angle(s) have you tried?

Sorry for jumping in and hijacking but I keep looking at the Sabre and thinking, should I? I just love the design.

I have a Timeless too amongst other DE's. So what would a Sabre give me that DE's wouldn't?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sorry for jumping in and hijacking but I keep looking at the Sabre and thinking, should I? I just love the design.

I have a Timeless too amongst other DE's. So what would a Sabre give me that DE's wouldn't?

A new experience, mainly. GEMs shave differently from DEs. Not objectively better or worse, just different. The blades last longer and are thicker and more stable than DE blades. If you're interested in trying a modern GEM the Sabre is the best game in town and our 30-day return policy makes it risk-free for you.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find -- as a head shaver -- that Gem blades "tail off" about as fast as DEs on my hair. That's not a bad thing, just the way it is. I can usually get 5 good shaves on about any Gem razor, and I get 6 usually with the Sabre.

The L2 plate will get you a little closer and that may solve it for you. A fresh blade in the L1 might do it, too. Especially for the first couple of shaves I like L1. The 3rd and 4th shaves are always the smoothest for me, then the blade begins to show its age a bit.

Like any Gem razor you'll want to use a more acute blade-to-skin angle. With the Sabre I find that angle is between what I would use with a DE and what I would use for a vintage Gem. In other words, just ever so slightly steeper than with a vintage Gem, or 'way flat for a DE.

And especially with a fresh blade, mind your pressure. When you find yourself adding pressure and going over things several times, time to change blades.

O.H.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The Sabre is the smoothest razor I've used and I love it for that reason alone. The creative and innovative design only adds to the appeal. I say go for it!

I find -- as a head shaver -- that Gem blades "tail off" about as fast as DEs on my hair. That's not a bad thing, just the way it is. I can usually get 5 good shaves on about any Gem razor, and I get 6 usually with the Sabre.

The L2 plate will get you a little closer and that may solve it for you. A fresh blade in the L1 might do it, too. Especially for the first couple of shaves I like L1. The 3rd and 4th shaves are always the smoothest for me, then the blade begins to show its age a bit.

Like any Gem razor you'll want to use a more acute blade-to-skin angle. With the Sabre I find that angle is between what I would use with a DE and what I would use for a vintage Gem. In other words, just ever so slightly steeper than with a vintage Gem, or 'way flat for a DE.

And especially with a fresh blade, mind your pressure. When you find yourself adding pressure and going over things several times, time to change blades.

O.H.

I don't have a very heavy beard but what I do have is coarse. Maybe my issues are a result of a bad blade or too much use on the blade I'm using. I'm going to give the level 2 plate a try with a new blade and see how that goes.

Excess pressure might also be my issue given that I'm used to using a much lighter titanium de razor. I've tried to be conscious of not using any pressure at all with the Blackland but I'll keep that in mind as I use the L2 plate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very shallow angles compared to de shaving, meaning I'm very much riding the cap. I get super smooth shaves but the results the next day haven't been up to what I was able to achieve with the Timeless.

The Sabre (as most razors that use GEM blades) works fine with a shallow angle, but maybe not quite riding the cap.

Try to drop the handle a few (not a bunch) degrees from perpendicular to your face and see if that kicks the efficiency up a notch.

Top Bottom