What's new

Blackland Razor - it has caused a problem

I have to agree with this!
Nothing shaves as closely and comfortably as the Progress. It's the pinnacle of DE razors!
Now if only Merkur would release it in stainless steel. Now that would be "Progress"!

I have the blackbird (and Muhle rocca) on the way so let's see if it performs as well as so many guys report and more importantly, if the Progress can be dethroned!
We all have our own Mistresses.

My current ones are : Feather SR professional Kami, RR Hawk V3 OC+ RR titanium halo handle and Ikon 104 tech.

Happy New Year !

Last edited:
Sorry, Scott!
Before I joined this forum in October last year I had never heard of Blackland razors .

There are quite a few good quality razors out there - I am referring to ones made by artisans.

What is important for me is after sales service , because issues do arise with all razors even the high end ones .

And Shane I have heard the best words about you ( Europe ) and your after sales service.

I don't own any blackland razors, but I have been looking at the Vector.

A Happy and prosperous New year to you.

Last edited:
No more. My Blackbird has single handedly vanquished them all. Sadly, no more variety for The Captain. :sad:
I've had a similar issue here, but in my case the culprit was not a whole razor, but a part. For quite a while my "favourites shelf" has held my Timeless, Karve SS, Karve brass, and ATT. Both Karves had 3 1/2" handles. About a month ago I found out that WCS had the Karve New Gladius 3" handle for sale. I've always liked that design, so I ordered one and swapped out the longer handle. The result was amazing. The razor became lighter, more agile, and felt like it naturally belonged in my hand. It has been used for 23 of my last 25 shaves.

End of RAD? I don't know yet, but I'm really enjoying daily BBS shaves that feel like I'm on autopilot. I won't be sorry if this goes on forever. An after all, there's still soaps, splashes, brushes..... :c9:

Before I joined this forum in October last year I had never heard of Blackland razors .

There are quite a few good quality razors out there - I am referring to ones made by artisans.

What is important for me is after sales service , because issues do arise with all razors even the high end ones .

And Shane I have heard the best words about you ( Europe ) and your after sales service.

Shane, try some single Malt scotch whisky 😉

@Blackland Razors

Shane is a great guy and very helpful. His razors are awesome so I hope you're able to get one in the future. I love the bird.

I always enjoy the look of their handle it’s kind of an interesting design forget which razor was the inspiration. I just wish the prices were a little more reasonable.

Sadly, with how much CNC machining costs, Blackland's prices ARE reasonable. Particularly if they bought their own machine and have to weigh product price vs the ability to pay off the machine in a sensible time frame.

Razorock does it for much less.

I admire RR for providing such value for money SS razors.

Although, I do wonder how they are able to do it especially given they are made in Canada!

The BB is absolutely the sexiest razor I've ever seen. I have one on the way and looking forward to trying it out!

Razorock does it for much less.
I agree , but they have invested a lot in machinery.

Also they have a good machinist who is Swiss-Canadian correct me if I am wrong .

I have the RR Hawk V3 open comb with the RR titanium halo handle which costs around €130/$ 147 U.S in Europe - excellent product.

Okay, much cheaper in North America.

Last edited:
I agree , but they have invested a lot in machinery.

Also they have a good machinist who is Swiss-Canadian correct me if I am wrong .

I have the RR Hawk V3 open comb with the RR titanium halo handle which costs around €130/$ 147 U.S in Europe - excellent product.

Okay, much cheaper in North America.
IMG_20211231_151722~5.jpg

Maybe I'm reading these 2 sentences wrong but It makes no sense to me!! If you still have the Progress, Leaf, Twig, and the GC then you actually "DO" still have other razors, right?
Correct but they no longer get used. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet on selling them. I like to phase things out and make sure I wont regret selling them before I actually do

Reactions: nav
I have to agree with this!
Nothing shaves as closely and comfortably as the Progress. It's the pinnacle of DE razors!
Now if only Merkur would release it in stainless steel. Now that would be "Progress"!

I have the blackbird (and Muhle rocca) on the way so let's see if it performs as well as so many guys report and more importantly, if the Progress can be dethroned!

To follow up on this...I received my Blackbird about ten days ago and this marvel has become my most favorite razor ever!

Firstly, the BB is absolutely the sexiest razor on the market IMO. The design of the head is so unique and the handle is beautiful. I also like how the handle collar fits into the base plate recess.

The BB has really taken me by surprise because for years, I ignored it due to the potential of blade chatter given it clamps the blade waaaaaayyyyy back and yet, suffers NO blade chatter!
(With very thick Indian stubble, blade chatter causes a lot of issues for me!)

The blade bend is high and the blade reveal (amount of blade beyond the cap) is low, along with the high exposure/low gap, it's a very deep cutting, yet very comfortable razor.
My daily 4 pass BBS lasts right into late evening!

First couple of shaves were a bit mixed but once I got the angle down, I haven't been able to use another razor since then!

I have become fairly accurate in being able to gauge whether a razor would suit me by assessing characteristics such as bend, clamping, blade reveal in addition to the usual gap/exposure, however...

I admittedly misjudged the blackbird! I felt the blade would chatter like crazy but the experience has been completely opposite!

The razor has a very unique face feel. You definitely feel the blade but NOT in a chattery way nor in a threatening/bitey way.
It's efficiency can be felt, and appreciated as it leaves behind a very deep BBS!!

The Blackbird has won my heart and now rules my den!
(Sounds kind of like my wife!)

To follow up on this...I received my Blackbird about ten days ago and this marvel has become my most favorite razor ever!

Firstly, the BB is absolutely the sexiest razor on the market IMO. The design of the head is so unique and the handle is beautiful. I also like how the handle collar fits into the base plate recess.

The BB has really taken me by surprise because for years, I ignored it due to the potential of blade chatter given it clamps the blade waaaaaayyyyy back and yet, suffers NO blade chatter!

The blade bend is high and the blade reveal (amount of blade beyond the cap) is low, along with the high exposure/low gap, it's a very deep cutting, yet very comfortable razor.

First couple of shaves were a bit mixed but once I got the angle down, I haven't been able to use another razor since then!

I have become fairly accurate in being able to gauge whether a razor would suit me by assessing characteristics such as bend, clamping, blade reveal in addition to the usual gap/exposure, however...

I admittedly misjudged the blackbird! I felt the blade would chatter like crazy but the experience has been completely opposite!

The razor has a very unique face feel. You definitely feel the blade but NOT in a chattery way nor in a threatening/bitey way.
It's efficiency can be felt, and appreciated as it leaves behind a very deep BBS!!

I passed on the BB solely because it was made in either SS or Brass but when finally released in Titanium, well that broke me and of course like you, mine rules the den here as well. I feel kinda bad for my Ti95DC as it doesn't get very many opportunities in the past several months and at times I have thought of listing it in the BST as it should be used almost daily by anyone that owns it!! It is a great razor but it kills me that it just sets there unused 95% of the time...

I passed on the BB solely because it was made in either SS or Brass but when finally released in Titanium, well that broke me and of course like you, mine rules the den here as well. I feel kinda bad for my Ti95DC as it doesn't get very many opportunities in the past several months and at times I have thought of listing it in the BST as it should be used almost daily by anyone that owns it!! It is a great razor but it kills me that it just sets there unused 95% of the time...

Lucky for me, I prefer SS as very lightweight razors just don't work for me.

It was purely my misjudgment that prevented me from trying the BB for so many years!

Nice report. Welcome to the I love the Blackbird razor fan club. It is a fantastic performer....and looker.

More days have passed and this gentle beast has become my daily driver!

In combination with the very sharp BIC chrome platinum blades, it provides a very deep, long lasting BBS.

Whilst the BB has a lot of blade feel, it's very gentle on my skin! Surprising as my skin is generally very prone to inflammation!

I can't compliment this razor enough!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We haven't heard from the Captain on this issue for a while now. You never know... he might be using a straight razor at this point. ;)

I love the looks of Blackland's products. I don't own any but I can admire them from afar. I use the Claymore Evolution but I have seen dozens of people who swear by the Blackland Vector.

I will continue to enjoy the various collections of fine shaving implements acquired by all of you vicariously. I try to keep most of my extra cash tied up in camera gear. ;)

Top Bottom