What's new

Blackland Razor - it has caused a problem

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m definitely not against growing a beard.…

But even I get bored with them from time to time.
I'm well on my way to an "Old West" type of handlebar mustache and a goatee. Unfortunately, I look more like a black hatted bad guy in it than a white hatted good guy.

I should be able to tell in another month if I look like someone who's brothers and "Pa" will be breaking out of the jail before I am hanged sometime after sunup....

I had forgotten how LONG it takes to stop itching as it grows out!

I had this "problem" about 9 years ago. I had a modest little collection of vintage Gillettes that I was using in random rotation (fatboy, slim, a couple old types, a couple techs, etc), then the Weber DLC came out at it's introductory price of $55 and I grabbed one. It instantly took top billing in my razor collection, and lead to the neglect of the vintage Gillettes. I would only use them if I deliberately chose a lesser shave so as to not ignore them.

Then the Tradere OC came along and teased another $170 from my wallet and the fate of my vintage Gillettes was forever sealed. I think I held on to the Fatboy and Slim for about a year, but the rest were offloaded almost immediately. I haven't even so much as touched a vintage razor in many years, and I honestly don't miss them. Between the Weber and my two Traderes (I naturally grabbed the SB as soon as it came out too!), I have been fully converted to modern stainless razors exclusively. I no longer even bother looking for the birth year Gillette that I used to want, hehe.

Once you have discovered there is an open comb plate available for your Blackbird your other razors will have a very hard time to make it to the starting pit...

I can relate to this. Currently I'm down 3 razors for 90% of my shaves, Blackland BB Ti, Vector Ti and Timeless Ti. I've sold all other razors and haven't looked back. I do still have the Progress, Leaf and Twig, as well as RR GC. They rarely get used but I haven't pulled the trigger yet

something similar happened to me recently with the Muhle Rocca (birch)

But I know this exclusivity is a temporary honeymoon phase.
no way Im ditching my Lupo, Karve, Progress, and FOCS! I couldnt bear the eventual regret. :-/

I have had a Blackbird for over a month now. In the past I have had a steady rotation of DE razors, some vintage and some modern. All performed just fine for me. Part of this whole thing is variety, right?

No more. My Blackbird has single handedly vanquished them all. Sadly, no more variety for The Captain. :sad:

Here is where you come in. Will I wake up in a cold sweat and realize it was all a bad dream? Do I need to find a guy who has a leather couch to recline in and tell him my troubles? Shall I imitate @Toothpick, grow a beard and act like the Blackbird does not exist?

Send help!
I can relate the Blackbird has rocked my world. I am very impressed with this razor. I have lost complete interest in my rotation.

I can relate to this. Currently I'm down 3 razors for 90% of my shaves, Blackland BB Ti, Vector Ti and Timeless Ti. I've sold all other razors and haven't looked back. I do still have the Progress, Leaf and Twig, as well as RR GC. They rarely get used but I haven't pulled the trigger yet
Maybe I'm reading these 2 sentences wrong but It makes no sense to me!! If you still have the Progress, Leaf, Twig, and the GC then you actually "DO" still have other razors, right?

I recently acquired a TiBB after committing to the Ti95DC almost 3yrs ago as my only razor in my cabinet and although I've had the thought of getting rid of the Ti95DC because I get a better shave from the TiBB I just can't commit to getting rid of it because when I least expect it and shave off 3-4 days growth with it and attain a 2.5 pass BBS it assures me that it should be allowed to stay in the cabinet right along side the TiBB because it still shaves as great as it always has!! The only place the Ti95DC surpasses the TiBB is in the comfort department...but the TiBB get me a closer shave overall in the same amount of strokes!!

I have had a Blackbird for over a month now. In the past I have had a steady rotation of DE razors, some vintage and some modern. All performed just fine for me. Part of this whole thing is variety, right?

No more. My Blackbird has single handedly vanquished them all. Sadly, no more variety for The Captain. :sad:

Here is where you come in. Will I wake up in a cold sweat and realize it was all a bad dream? Do I need to find a guy who has a leather couch to recline in and tell him my troubles? Shall I imitate @Toothpick, grow a beard and act like the Blackbird does not exist?

Send help!
Like others have said be happy you have found the razor , that ticks all the boxes for you.

Even if it isn't the "One" - Enjoy the ride .

( In Euro_Land the blackbird costs around €225 /$ 255.91 U.S)

Last edited:
Ha!

Well, I decided to shave with the Progress and Speik cream/splash today.

Probably my very best shave in several months. Why dont I use the Progress more? Its not a trendy/sexy choice, but it just works everytime…

I have to agree with this!
Nothing shaves as closely and comfortably as the Progress. It's the pinnacle of DE razors!
Now if only Merkur would release it in stainless steel. Now that would be "Progress"!

I have the blackbird (and Muhle rocca) on the way so let's see if it performs as well as so many guys report and more importantly, if the Progress can be dethroned!

Top Bottom