What's new

Blackland Era vs. Blackbird

with the qualification that YMMV... for those who have tried both the Blackland Era and Blackbird razors, is there a big difference? I'm super impressed with the Era (level 3 sb working best for me right now... but I also have the level 4 sb). Beautiful looking razor, nice weight, is very impressive, imo. Is the Blackbird similar, completely different, hands down better in your opinion? I love my $20 vintage gillette DEs, so even spending $70 on the Era was a new commitment for me. But I'm convinced Blackland knows how to make a great razor now... just pondering whether to consider the Blackbird and the higher price tag. I have tried the Overlander (I know that is made by a different company), and didn't get along real well with that one.

Cheers

I would suggest there is a significant difference between the Blackbird and the Era in both increased blade feel and efficiency. If a level 3 sb is your current sweet spot it would be a meaningful progression to the Blackbird. And I would say that even compared to the level 5 sb. The Blackbird Ti might be a better fit if you were considering one. But as mentioned, you have the option of returning it if it didn't work out. The Blackbird Ti is my baseline razor that I compare all others with. High efficiency but relatively low aggression. Tough to beat if you are considering high efficiency razors.

Last edited:
Strong clamp razors (ERA) and Blackbird have slightly different properties
ERA is a good razor that can be accepted by everyone, while blackbird is a razor that can be evaluated differently depending on the style of shaving. blackbird is a razor that can be used for a variety of shaving styles.
A slightly shallower shave seems to be better.

If the blackbird fits your shaving style, it will definitely be a better companion than the ERA.
And the blackbird oc is a different razor, the SB is better...

For me the blackbird is a very smooth razor with average efficiency.
It's almost like an autopilot without the care.

I would suggest there is a significant difference between the Blackbird and the Era in both increased blade feel and efficiency. If a level 3 sb is your current sweet spot it would be a meaningful progression to the Blackbird. And I would say that even compared to the level 5 sb. The Blackbird Ti might be a better fit if you were considering one. But as mentioned, you have the option of returning it if it didn't work out. The Blackbird Ti is my baseline razor that I compare all others with. High efficiency but relatively low aggression. Tough to beat if you are considering high efficiency razors.
is Blackbird Ti their titanium that you are referring to?

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your Era! Whether the Blackbird is the right next step depends on what you're looking for in your next razor. The Blackbird will be more efficient and blade-forward compared to the Era L3. If you want to take the next step up in efficiency and performance, the Blackbird is a great choice. If you're looking for something kind of similar to the Era L3 (but still different), you might consider looking at the Vector. Blade choice for that razor makes it particularly versatile and adaptable so you can experience shaves from mild to highly efficient.

P.S., If the Blackbird is a little too much razor right now and the Vector isn't what you're after, wait a few weeks - I think we'll have something that could be a great option for you.

P.P.S., Yes, Blackbird Ti = Blackbird Titanium

for the love of all that's good and holy... I couldn't resist. the polished version of the Blackbird just looked too pretty. And with the return policy, didn't see a reason not to commit. Oh... and the razor shipped less than an hour after the purchase. That's pretty impressive. I will report back after securing some data points.

Well, I did things backward which the First Mate would say is normal. I got the Blackbird first and enjoyed it, then the ERA when it came out. I have the Level 4 baseplate on it and that is a good fit for my face. I like the finish it has the texture, the whole package.

The Blackbird? Ummm, it was donated and you can find it on the live auction right here: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/saint-sue-moore-memorial-fundraiser.149/

Since getting the ERA, I just didn't reach for it anymore. So for me it was not price or performance but the visual / aesthetic / tactile appeal that has me preferring the ERA. In the case of both, of course, the fit / finish are beyond expectations.

for the love of all that's good and holy... I couldn't resist. the polished version of the Blackbird just looked too pretty. And with the return policy, didn't see a reason not to commit. Oh... and the razor shipped less than an hour after the purchase. That's pretty impressive. I will report back after securing some data points.
Enjoy!

Well, I did things backward which the First Mate would say is normal. I got the Blackbird first and enjoyed it, then the ERA when it came out. I have the Level 4 baseplate on it and that is a good fit for my face. I like the finish it has the texture, the whole package.

The Blackbird? Ummm, it was donated and you can find it on the live auction right here: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/saint-sue-moore-memorial-fundraiser.149/

Since getting the ERA, I just didn't reach for it anymore. So for me it was not price or performance but the visual / aesthetic / tactile appeal that has me preferring the ERA. In the case of both, of course, the fit / finish are beyond expectations.
I like my Era a lot. The Blackbird has a high hurdle.

I don’t have the Blackbird but would like to try one. That said, I do have an ERA with level 4 SB and find it fairly mild but very efficient. If you prefer the 3 plate to the 4 plate then I expect the Blackbird will be too much for your comfort based on what I read. But I hope I’m wrong.

Another amazing smooth shaving razor is the GameChanger. I prefer the 84p but you may like the 68p since you like the milder ERA plate. And super good price for the quality you get. But I don’t know that it would offer you anything your ERA doesn’t except variety.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think the Anaheim knife show started today... wasn't that supposed to be the unveiling of the new Blackbird razor? I'll have to check their Instagram site.

Edit: no announcement on their Instagram site.

Last edited:
I don’t have the Blackbird but would like to try one. That said, I do have an ERA with level 4 SB and find it fairly mild but very efficient. If you prefer the 3 plate to the 4 plate then I expect the Blackbird will be too much for your comfort based on what I read. But I hope I’m wrong.

Another amazing smooth shaving razor is the GameChanger. I prefer the 84p but you may like the 68p since you like the milder ERA plate. And super good price for the quality you get. But I don’t know that it would offer you anything your ERA doesn’t except variety.
You were correct. Blackbird too aggressive for me. Beautiful razor. Too bad for me. I’m keeping my Era!

You were correct. Blackbird too aggressive for me. Beautiful razor. Too bad for me. I’m keeping my Era!
I’m very sorry to hear this. I imagine the Blackbird is also too much for me based on what I read but perhaps not and I look forward to trying it one of these days. It’s one of the few razors left I haven’t tested that could surpass my GameChanger based on what I’ve read.

You still have an excellent razor in the ERA. I believe the GameChanger and ERA are 2 of the best razors out there along with being amongst the cheapest SS ones out there.

If you ever want a little variety remember the GameChangers. I like mine better then the ERA but I don’t necessarily think it’s a better shaver - I just prefer the way it shaves. But the ERA level 5 plates may change my mind.

Or perhaps wait and see what Blackland introduces. So many high end razors anymore it’s hard to learn about all of them when your fairly new to it. I do look forward to hearing about their new razor when they finally release the details.

Top Bottom