What's new

Blackland Era Not Impressed

Been anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Blackland Era. Ordered the the stand and plates 1, 2, and 3. Got ready for my first run with plate 1. First issue, terrible blade alignment. First blade was an Astra Green (my go to) and the blade alignment on first attempt left almost no visible blade on one side. All my other razor including a Blackbird, blade alignment is basically on auto pilot. Tried adjusting the alignment with no avail. Tried a Rapira and a Kai with the same issues. Grabbed one of the Perssona blades included with the razor and was able to get decent blade alignment. There is a ton of blade slop back an forth with the cap mildly loose. I am a daily shaver an prefer a mild shave but plate 1 is way to mild. I have been using daily a Karve Christopher Bradley with the AA plate and get a very smooth shave with two passes. I will try the other two plates and respond back if they have the same issues or if I can get a better shave. To agitated to test the other plates this evening.

May contact Blackland about my issue and see what feedback they have. All in all, it is a beautiful razor and I so want to like it. I was left let down this evening but that tends to happen when I am so eagerly looking forward to something.

Era.jpg

I have similar issues with my Era. I was planning on trying a different blade, but I may reach out to Blackland also. @APBinNCA what was the resolution? A new top cap?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Era SB Level 5
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Prometheus Churning Candy Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20220222_100155~2.jpg

Mine aligns and shaves fine. One small nick on my chin was my fault - a momentary distraction. I don't yet know where it will end up in my pantheon of razors, but it is certainly a decent razor - especially for the $75 price tag.

Sounds like you got a defective razor. Contact Shane at Blackland Razors and see what he thinks. Blackland seems to resolve questions and issues pretty quickly.

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11663577

Thank you for your feedback! Threads like these are tough to read, but informative and sometimes necessary. Over the last few days we've learned that there appears to be minority of Eras with top caps that make blade alignment difficult. We haven't determined the exact cause of the problem yet, but if you're having this issue please email [email protected] and we'll take care of it immediately. This is the first mass-produced consumer product made this way and something always breaks when you're trying anything new. Rest assured that we'll make it right for any customer with this problem and we'll diagnose the root cause to improve our QC protocol for the Era.

I'm enjoying my ERA SB5. Glad I'm not having alignment issues.

Shane always makes it right.

I was actually just considering picking up the OC5 for the heck of it.

BTW, anybody else prefer it without the grip rings? I used them for the 3rd shave, and took them off for the 4th shave.

Happy to hear that! I don't use the grip rings as I think the handle is grippy enough for me. But I've learned over the years that customers have a wide range of grip preferences and some users like a razor practically glued to their hands. So we wanted everyone to be able to choose the best setup for them. The Era is all about customization and creating the perfect Era for you and its handle carries that same ethos.

Thank you for your feedback! Threads like these are tough to read, but informative and sometimes necessary. Over the last few days we've learned that there appears to be minority of Eras with top caps that make blade alignment difficult. We haven't determined the exact cause of the problem yet, but if you're having this issue please email [email protected] and we'll take care of it immediately. This is the first mass-produced consumer product made this way and something always breaks when you're trying anything new. Rest assured that we'll make it right for any customer with this problem and we'll diagnose the root cause to improve our QC protocol for the Era.
Thank you for the response. I will contact support this evening. Knowing that it may be the cap, I'm still going to try the other plates tonight to rule them out.

Top Bottom