What's new

Blackland Dart vs Karve Christopher Bradley

Since I bought it about a year ago, the Dart has been the razor I reach for most often. I shave daily, and the Dart is my choice for about half of my shaves. It's perhaps a bit less efficient than my Muhle R41, but the Dart provides a much smoother shaving experience. The other razors currently in use are the Muhle Rocca, Edwin Jagger 3one6, Merkur Futur, GEM MMOC (SE), RazoRoack Hawk (SE), and Classic Shaving Enoch (SE). My newest acquisition is a brass Christopher Bradley from Karve with the safety bar G plate. Yesterday was shave #1 with it, and it was a great shave - smooth, with reasonable blade feel and very efficient. In fact, it was very similar to the shaves I get with my Dart. So today I decided to do a side by side comparison.

First off, the obvious physical differences. The Dart is stainless steel and weighs 3.57 ounces (according to my scale). The Karve is brass and weighs in at 4.00 ounces. Also the head geometry is completely different. Here are two pictures:

IMG_20211218_094937.jpg

IMG_20211218_094911.jpg

I've never been one to focus on the details and implications of different razor head designs, but these couldn't look more different to me. The Karve holds the blade nearly horizontal while the Dart bends it well beyond horizontal. The design of the guard is also quite different. In any event, both razors had a Personna Red blade with one shave on it, and I used the Karve to shave the right side of my face and the Dart on the left. I did my usual two pass shave with a bit of touch up. The extra weight of the Karve was noticeable, but not at all bothersome to me. I found it very strange that despite the significant differences in the design, I didn't actuall feel as if the razors performed very differently from one another. Based upon only one shave, I am reluctant to rush to any conclusions, but it did seem as if the Karve was slightly smoother. Also, the Karve side seems to be slightly smoother a few hours post shave. That said, my experience with these side by side shaves is that I often conclude that whatever razor I've used on the right side provides a closer shave. I think that's just because I am right handed. Tomorrow I'll switch sides, and see what happens.

Great writeup and the observations are very meticulously captured and pretty accurate.

The CB G plate is a very refined and smooth razor. It doesn't require any attention to the attack angle as its quite intuitive.

The Dart on the other hand has a unique attack angle which is steep and it needs attention else it can bite.

The CB G shave is uneventful and makes it a routine whereas every shave with the Dart is like an adventure.

The CB's character is one of a very dependable and predictable tool which can get boring at times. It's extremely smooth.

The wild unpredictable nature of the Dart makes it more attractive to use. The Dart will have multiple characters based on the angle it is used at. This makes it a fun to use razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wasn't expecting to find the Karve G as smooth as I did. I was expecting the Dart to be much smoother than I found it to be.

I don't have much experience with either, and may not use the Dart again. Certainly no time soon.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great writeup and the observations are very meticulously captured and pretty accurate.

The CB G plate is a very refined and smooth razor. It doesn't require any attention to the attack angle as its quite intuitive.

The Dart on the other hand has a unique attack angle which is steep and it needs attention else it can bite.

The CB G shave is uneventful and makes it a routine whereas every shave with the Dart is like an adventure.

The CB's character is one of a very dependable and predictable tool which can get boring at times. It's extremely smooth.

The wild unpredictable nature of the Dart makes it more attractive to use. The Dart will have multiple characters based on the angle it is used at. This makes it a fun to use razor.
Perhaps because, as I said in response to @WetShaveVet, I am retired and can take my time with my morning shaves, I don't find the Dart wild or unpredictable. Even when I first got it, I found it quite intuitive to find the proper angle. I do shave carefully, however, and I believe that makes a big difference. When I have to shave quickly (which happens rarely these days), I generally go to the Rocca, 3one6 or Futur. Perhaps on those days the CB will provide the option of a quick and easy shave with the efficiency of the Dart and R41.

Since I bought it about a year ago, the Dart has been the razor I reach for most often. I shave daily, and the Dart is my choice for about half of my shaves. It's perhaps a bit less efficient than my Muhle R41, but the Dart provides a much smoother shaving experience. The other razors currently in use are the Muhle Rocca, Edwin Jagger 3one6, Merkur Futur, GEM MMOC (SE), RazoRoack Hawk (SE), and Classic Shaving Enoch (SE). My newest acquisition is a brass Christopher Bradley from Karve with the safety bar G plate. Yesterday was shave #1 with it, and it was a great shave - smooth, with reasonable blade feel and very efficient. In fact, it was very similar to the shaves I get with my Dart. So today I decided to do a side by side comparison.

First off, the obvious physical differences. The Dart is stainless steel and weighs 3.57 ounces (according to my scale). The Karve is brass and weighs in at 4.00 ounces. Also the head geometry is completely different. Here are two pictures:

View attachment 1380195
View attachment 1380196

I've never been one to focus on the details and implications of different razor head designs, but these couldn't look more different to me. The Karve holds the blade nearly horizontal while the Dart bends it well beyond horizontal. The design of the guard is also quite different. In any event, both razors had a Personna Red blade with one shave on it, and I used the Karve to shave the right side of my face and the Dart on the left. I did my usual two pass shave with a bit of touch up. The extra weight of the Karve was noticeable, but not at all bothersome to me. I found it very strange that despite the significant differences in the design, I didn't actuall feel as if the razors performed very differently from one another. Based upon only one shave, I am reluctant to rush to any conclusions, but it did seem as if the Karve was slightly smoother. Also, the Karve side seems to be slightly smoother a few hours post shave. That said, my experience with these side by side shaves is that I often conclude that whatever razor I've used on the right side provides a closer shave. I think that's just because I am right handed. Tomorrow I'll switch sides, and see what happens.
So today I switched sides and confirmed everything I related above. The Karve is at least the equal of the Dart in terms of efficiency and is somewhat smoother. That said, I still really like the Dart, but now it may have to share most of my shaves with the Karve.

The Dart is certainly more aggressive and it has a lot of weight and bite. It's a very nice razor and if you treat it right, it provides and excellent shave. The Karve is also rewarding, but it's much easier to achieve such a smooth shave with it using less concentration.

Top Bottom