What's new

Blackland Dart - First Shave

This is a razor that I had been wanting to buy for quite a while, and I'm not sure why I didn't. I don't have nearly the breadth of experience with stainless steel razors in the $100 price range that @never-stop-learning does (see his thread on razors in the $75-$125 price range for a remarkably complete survey of the options), but I own or have owned several fine razors, like the myriad RazoRock Game Changer models, the Muhle Rocca and the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. For some reason I kept looking at the Dart but not pulling the trigger on the purchase. That was a mistake.

The razor arrived while I was away for a couple of weeks, so when I returned home yesterday evening, I sorted through the pile of mail to find my new razor. While I purchased it on the BST, it was in pristine condition in the original packaging. I have always admired the looks of the Dart and the machined version i received did not disappoint in that regard. I was surprised to notice machining marks on the base plate (the part that will be covered by the blade), but I was also impressed by the way everything fit together perfectly and did so with a feeling of solidity and quality not always apparent in this price category.

This morning I loaded the Dart with a Personna Israeli Red blade, which is my default for a new razor. While I usually use a nylon washer between the handle and the base plate, I decided to forego it with the Dart. I've read posts where Shane from Blackland Razors has talked about his belief that his designs work best as an integrated whole: cap, base plate and handle. Somehow that nylon washer just didn't look right to me (and I'm not really sure why I use them and what damage I believe that they will prevent). In my hand the Dart feels solid and perfectly balanced. I haven't weighed it, but I would guess it's heavier than average. So on to the shave.

I lathered up using WSP Barbershop soap and started in. The small head of the Dart allows it to be very maneuverable, and I had no issue shaving any area of my face and neck, including around the nose. I never felt as if I were holding a dangerous implement, although there is quite a bit of blade feel to the Dart - more than on the Rocca or 3ONE6. I quite liked it, but if you like your razor to glide along as if it didn't even have a blade in it, the Dart is probably not for you. I completed two passes, did my normal touch up on the stubborn areas, rinsed off and ran the alum block on my face. No burn anywhere, but after a cold rinse and some moisturizing shave balm my face felt wonderfully smooth. I believe this is as close a shave as I've managed with any of my other razors, which is quite impressive as it is my first run with the Dart. In my experience, my technique with any razor improves as I become more familiar with it, so the first shave is not always indicative of how the razor will perform longer term.

My plan had been to use the Dart every day for a week, but I may have a hard time switching to another razor after that week!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review and glad you are happy. The dart is a great piece. My first use had me thinking whoa this thing is aggressive but I adapted

I bought the dart because I really like the way it looked and I think at the time I was just getting into the stainless steel razors.

But it was really too aggressive for me. I tried different blades trying to find one that worked well enough for me to use the dart on a daily basis. But nothing came close.

Then I started playing around with the blade angle. I brought the handle in closer to the skin than usual... which increased the blade angle. "Riding the safety bar", as it were. While it did feel scrapey and not very smooth, it did become more comfortable and it gave me a very close shave. I was very happy that I had found a way to use it and enjoy it.

Oh, and if you like the machined Dart, but wish it were a little more aggressive, then get the polished version. I tried it, and although beautiful, there was no angle or trick to make this piece of hotness work for me. I think the polishing process must change the gap/exposure ever so slightly.

(Sent from mobile)

Congratulations on a wonderful purchase.

The Dart is a fantastic razor you will fall in love with as you use it more. It looks beautiful (the machined version really has a nice chsracter with all those machine .arks and is yet has good glide to it) and shaves awesome if handled right. The key to a good shave is finding an angle closer to riding the guard. Riding the cap makes it insanely aggresive and causes irritation. Shane himself advised in some thread in this forum that its built more for riding the guard.

The blade is held very stiff with zero blade chatter and it shaves like an SE with any blade as long as you use zero pressure and let the razor head weight do all the work

It is certainly not for the uninitiated and requires alertness to use. My only gripe is that I can't go ATG on my sensitive below chin neck area for a new blade on first 2 or 3 days and have to use XTG only.

Its one of my top razors and past two months have been alternating between it and the Pearl Flexi ! This is the only CNC milled SS razor I am considering to get a backup copy of. My Blackbird sees less use than the Dart!

You've got your moneys worth in the looks and shave department when you've got the Dart !

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I love my Blackbird but was always curious as to how the Dart would fare in comparison. Well, soon I'll find out...
You guys and this thread finally tipped me over the edge and I've just ordered one! Can't wait to try it out.

That's the B&B Spirit!! :thumbup:

The Dart runs with the best. Not bad for a $100 razor. ;)

YMMV :cool:

This is a razor that I had been wanting to buy for quite a while, and I'm not sure why I didn't. I don't have nearly the breadth of experience with stainless steel razors in the $100 price range that @never-stop-learning does (see his thread on razors in the $75-$125 price range for a remarkably complete survey of the options), but I own or have owned several fine razors, like the myriad RazoRock Game Changer models, the Muhle Rocca and the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. For some reason I kept looking at the Dart but not pulling the trigger on the purchase. That was a mistake.

The razor arrived while I was away for a couple of weeks, so when I returned home yesterday evening, I sorted through the pile of mail to find my new razor. While I purchased it on the BST, it was in pristine condition in the original packaging. I have always admired the looks of the Dart and the machined version i received did not disappoint in that regard. I was surprised to notice machining marks on the base plate (the part that will be covered by the blade), but I was also impressed by the way everything fit together perfectly and did so with a feeling of solidity and quality not always apparent in this price category.

Where's the pictures? No pictures, it didn't happen.

Where's the pictures? No pictures, it didn't happen.
Not a great photo, but here you are:
1613776081043.png

By the way, that's my Yaqi Sagrada Familia that I just re-knotted with PAA's Roswell Gray Hybrid.

Mine arrived yesterday and I’m writing this more than 18 hours after the first shave and there is only the beginning of stubble feel on my face. The shave itself was excellent with a second use Silver Star blade, without any nicks or weepers and no irritation whatsoever. There’s just the right amount of blade feel and altering the angle means it’s easy to control the level of aggression.
I’m going to use it daily for the next week or so to get to know it better but after only one shave I’m highly impressed with it!

Goodfellas Pino Alpestre
AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere
Blackland Dart
Perma Sharp (2nd use)
Tabac AS

Score: 7/10

A new razor and some new soaps landed this morning so I gave in to temptation and nixed my planned set-up.

The ever reliable Cashmere whipped up a volumous lather. The soap gave pretty good performance but I suspect I can do better so I will try it with a more familiar razor/blade combo. The scent is nice and really fresh.

I will need to spend some time with this razor to dial it in as I found the sweetspot to be quite narrow and difficult to maintain. It's got a bit of blade feel which I like and bags of efficiency so with practice should be a great shaver.

Tolerances are perfect and blade alignment is impeccable. The overall finish is superb, the handle is surprisingly grippy, the razor is a bit lighter than I expected (a good thing) and it's a handsome looking thing.

IMG_20210227_124921860.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Goodfellas Pino Alpestre
AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere
Blackland Dart
Perma Sharp (2nd use)
Tabac AS

Score: 7/10

A new razor and some new soaps landed this morning so I gave in to temptation and nixed my planned set-up.

The ever reliable Cashmere whipped up a volumous lather. The soap gave pretty good performance but I suspect I can do better so I will try it with a more familiar razor/blade combo. The scent is nice and really fresh.

I will need to spend some time with this razor to dial it in as I found the sweetspot to be quite narrow and difficult to maintain. It's got a bit of blade feel which I like and bags of efficiency so with practice should be a great shaver.

Tolerances are perfect and blade alignment is impeccable. The overall finish is superb, the handle is surprisingly grippy, the razor is a bit lighter than I expected (a good thing) and it's a handsome looking thing.

View attachment 1229133

I prefer a steep angle with the Dart - ride the bar - with a very light touch. :)

Top Bottom