What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

Took the 85mm brass handle I had and polished it by hand.
I did 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit with hand sand paper then used cutting polish with a clean micro fiber cloth, then another polishing compound then Renaissance wax.

I also polished a machined top cap

before
20210923_105346.jpg

20210921_202059.jpg

After
20210923_110353.jpg
20210923_105157.jpg
20210923_110805.jpg
20210923_110807.jpg

-Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Platinum Lux (1st)
-PAA Amber Aerolite
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-FLS The Weight trifect

Beautiful shave today. Had a lot on my mind, especially Kim Gray and those dealing with cancer. I am a health care worker and see death from time to time. I hope everybody stays safe and healthy
20210926_085741 (1).jpg

Excellent start to today😍
- Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (1st)
-Grizzly Bay v7 fanchurian badger
- Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA mentholated peach cube
-First Line Shaving James trifecta

This blade and razor combo is perfect. So smooth and efficient. I could sell my 20 other razors and be content with my blackbirds alone.

20210926_211018.jpg

Absolutely perfect shave with some of my faves.
20210930_085526.jpg

-Blackland Brassbird OC
-PAA Phantom Aerolite
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-Ginger's Garden Lavender Marshallow custom soap and splash

Amazing shave!

The closed comb Brassbird was fantastic. First go since I'd only owned the OC plate before. This was very smooth and close. I dont usually get nics or anything with the open comb but this felt even more safe and I can shave on autopilot. Where I do have to pay attention with the OC.

The Tabac was also fantastic. Strongly scented but the splash is a cologne type smoky scent. The lather (tallow base) was perfect as well.

-Blackland Brassbird SB
-Grizzly Bay 26mm HMW badger
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl (not shown)

-PAA Ice Cube
-Tabac soap and splash
20211002_084921.jpg

Tabactober
OCtober
Tabac Tuesday
10/5/21

Excellent shave!

- Blackland Tradere OC
-AP Shave Co. Brass XL 28mm synbad
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
- Tabac Soap and Splash

Starting with the razor: this thing is fantastic. The open comb is perfect for me. It has some blade feel, but is still SMOOTH. It is also very efficient at removing hair. I'd say this one is a 7-7.5 efficiency but if you get the cutting angle right (steep/ handle closer to skin) it'll reward you with a very smooth and comfy shave.

Lather: This is my third use with tabac (tallow). The lather is as slick as anything else and dense. Even adding a bunch of water is fine, this handles it. What an amazing performing soap.

Brush: first use with this knot. I got the brass handle to match my brass blackbird. The knot i got based on reviews. It is an amazing knot and maybe my favorite one yet. It is soft to the face but plenty of back bone. So well balanced. It is a Lather monster but let's the lather go very easily. I'm very impressed.
20211004_214438 (1).jpg
20211005_061046.jpg

Excellent shave!

-Blackland Tradere OC
-Grizzly Bay HMW Badger
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-PAA Droid Black set
-PAA Droid Black deodorant and powder

Been trying or the Tradere this week and I've gotta say I'm impressed. The more I use it the more I love it. The oc version here is so smooth and comfy but as efficient as my OC blackbird. This has find it's place in my top 5 razors, along with the brassbird, vector, rex ambassador, gold rockwell 6s.View attachment 1341312View attachment 1341313

Those OC brass plates that haven't sold out yet are still nagging me, but I really like this razor as is. Enjoyed the pics here of both polishing and forced patinas.
Imagepipe_41.jpg

Very nice shave today :)
-Blackland Vector
-Feather Pro (4th)
-AP Shave Co Brass XL 26mm Pelagic Typhoon badger
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-Barrister and Mann Leviathan trifecta
20211023_140121.jpg

Very nice shave this morning :)

-Blackland Brassbird SB
- Feather (1st)
-Sawdust Creations 26mm Shoat boar knot
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-SW Fougere Nemeta set

Very smooth shave with the Blackbird and feather. No nics or irritation. Zero alum stinging. Just BBS.

This scent is so good. It's the brightest Fougere scent I've ever tried. It's supposed to be a spring scent but I love it year round. It's such a nice, bright, green scent.
20211024_215200.jpg

So as most here know I have been a 1 razor guy for the past 3+ yrs now with my Ti95DC and have been very happy with its performance and steady 16-20hr BBS every shave out but things have changed now and have officially, Jul 2021, became a 2 razor guy and can't be happier with how things have unfolded and owe a big thanks to @Hannah's Dad for selling me his Ti Blackbird as his loss was my gain!! I can't believe its been 4 months now since I received this razor but I finally feel I have put it well through the paces and am finally ready to share some thoughts...

I think I kinda knew from shave #1 but needed some extra time to experiment and fully put it up against the Ti95DC since that was the razor it would ultimately replace or become part of a rotation, although if I'm being honest the TiBB has had the majority of shaves since July and its really hard "not" to pick it up for every shave!! I think the only worries I had thought of prior to picking it up were the handle and how it clamped the blade down.

The handle had me worried in that it is thinner than the handle of my Ti95DC and the ribs go N-S so of course I thought it would be exceptionally slipper during the shave but it didn't take long to realize I had nothing to fear as it is very grippy and in fact the thing I like most about it is the ball at the end of the handle has become my favorite feature as it really helped tune in the steep angle shave it seems to require and I've found by holding it right above the ball I can maintain the angle much better and really don't have to think about it like I did with the Ti95... In fact it has changed the way I grip the Ti95 now as I hold that handle down towards the end of the handle and maintain the steep angle better than I've done in the past with it. The way the top cap clamps down the blade I had always envisioned since it doesn't clamp near the edge of the blade like the Ti95 I feared it must have major chattering but was relieved upon 1st use that it was all in my head and nothing more than a theory I had read about in a few threads in the forums. I'd say the blade is clamped down very well and in fact is solid.

I have tested every blade I have in my cabinet;

Shark SS & SC - These work best in the Ti95.
Silver Star - My go to blade for the Ti95 but works as well in the TiBB.
Nacet - Seems to be a rough blade overall in both razors
Bic Platinum - Basically a 1 and done regardless of razor!!
Perma Sharp Super - Worked well but I found the feather was much better.
Feather - Against my better judgement this is the one that works best, IMO, and will always be used in the TiBB!!

I guess with all that said the only other thing I can really think of that I found to be in line with some other reviews was that the razor at times feels like it has very acute edges on it and almost feels sharp during the shave but to be honest I really don't feel anything like that after a few months of using it... The biggest difference between the TiBB and the Ti95 is to me the Ti95 has much less blade feel but yet is the same in efficiency when compared to the TiBB and that's ok in my book!! Other than that I'm sure I will enjoy both razors very much but have a feeling I know already which razor and blade combo will see the majority of the time....

Dan was very right in his suggestion to me in that the Feather / TiBB, or as he put it, the Feather and any BB will be the winning combination and I couldn't agree more!!
Ti BB Shave.jpg

Top Bottom