What's new

Blackland Blackbird

Was looking at picking up this razor but hear so many different things about it. From having a lot of blade feel to being very smooth and efficient. How does it compare to other razors, such as the Karve or Rockwell 6S?

I love the Blackbird. I find it very efficient, but smooth. Granted, it has a bit more blade feel than either the 6S or the Karve unless you get into the highest of the plates, but so much smoother than those two with the aggressive plates. I think you'd be surprised at how smooth the blackbird is. That's my take on the comparison.

This razor have been in my shopping cart several times. I can shave daily with my Karve using the OC F plate. If this is smoother, while just as efficient, i might be considering a BB.
How is the OC compared to the SB?

I have a karve type E, it's a hair milder than I prefer and a hair milder than the blackbird. I would say the blackbird has more blade feel and is a bit more efficient than the E plate.

The blackbird is a hair milder and a hair less efficient than the Yates EH, which has a gap of 1.28mm and positive blade exposure, it is my favorite razor though I don't know which karve plate shaves most similarly to it.

I have not tried the OC blackbird. I like the titanium bird best.

My understanding is the blackbird has a small gap and significant blade exposure. I'm not sure how well it really compares to the more aggressive karve plates which increase in both gap and exposure.

Yeah, I keep hearing that it has a lot of blade feel but is very smooth and efficient. May have to give it a try.

I find the Blackbird as efficient as the Karve with G or OC-F plate. I think I would agree it has a little less blade feel than the OC-F, but I’m not sure it’s less than the G plate. The brass Blackbird feels notably smoother to me than the steel (reportedly Titanium feels smoother too, but I don’t have one yet).

Other razors are similarly efficient to the Blackbird and feel quite a bit smoother. The Blackland Tradere OC, for example, or the Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC. The Rocnel Sailor too. I can’t comment on high gap Wolfman but many say they feel smooth too.

The Ti Blackbird is a fantastic razor!
Yes, there’s blade feel, but think of it as an advantage. It’ll keep you away from applying unnecessary pressure.
It has a wee bit better efficiency than the WR2 1.25 and a completely different face feel.

Try it out and just return it you don’t love it! That’s what our 30-day return policy is for. You can’t shave with a spec sheet or with reviews. There’s only one real way to find out if a razor will work for you so we make it risk-free to try.
It would look nice next to my Vector. As far as i am aware, there is no vendors in Norway, so i do not think the return policy is that usefull for me.

I had a ss Blackbird machined finish with SB and OC plates.
It was OK, but not smooth for 'face feel' (even when compared to my ss Karve with SB plates #E, #F, and #G).
Used it daily for quite some time, because it was efficient.
Then added the polished SB and OC plates to the mix.
My favourite was the polished SB plate.
If you are still deciding what Blackbird to get, my thoughts are...get a polished version.
You really can feel the difference on your face. It's just so much smoother.
I have now sold the Blackbird, and happily living with my ss Timeless .95 OC, and ss Karve.
But...I could be tempted by a Ti Blackbird.

I actually did a side by side of the oc and sb brass blackbird this morning:

Both are very smooth to me with good blade feel.
The SB was a teeny but less blade feel without sacrificing much, if any, efficiency.

They're both great daily shavers and I love both. If I had to pick only one (thankfully I don't have to) it would be the sb. Just because it's super efficient with just a little less blade feel. I can get away with buffing a little easier too. I will say the alum was about equal on both sides with no stinging in the sb side and a barely even noticeable feeling on one spot with the OC side.

Attachments

• 20211116_075325.jpg
    20211116_075325.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Top Bottom