What's new

Blackland Blackbird worth it?

I have the Game Changer 84 Open Comb and Blackbird Open Comb (Short Handle) in SS.
I contemplated purchasing the Blackbird for almost a year and tried to sate my RAD with a lot of other A-class razors, but the shaves I get from Blackbird are different from anything I've used, and it keeps getting better.

For me, Blackbird was totally worth it.

I sold off half a dozen razors before finalizing the Blackbird and now my rotation consists of 3 main razors and 1 travel razor; Blackbird leads the pack with the best shaving experience.

I've had the Nodachi and the nodachi with masamune cap (to reduce exposure to neutral).
They are excellent razors but I didn't really get on that well with them.

The blackbird has become my #1 razor of all time and I literally haven't used any other razor since getting it!

I've used a 1.55 Wolfman WR2. They are both very efficient, but on my face the Blackbird gives me a longer lasting shave. The experience of using both is quite different, as well. I enjoy the Blackbird more.

I have also found the blackbird gives a closer and longer lasting shave compared to razors with bigger blade gaps.

I've used up to 1.23mm gap on the karve F and the shave was not as long lasting as the blackbird.

As someone who mostly uses slants and thought the blackbird would be lacking due to the seeming lack of blade support; the blackbird ti at least is now one of my favorites! The razor just works. It's a pleasure to use.

The lack of blade clamping lead to my years of misconception, thinking it would be blade chatter galore!...But it's actually quite the opposite!

It goes to show how crucial a good amount of blade bend is to minimise chatter.

The lack of blade clamping lead to my years of misconception, thinking it would be blade chatter galore!...But it's actually quite the opposite!

It goes to show how crucial a good amount of blade bend is to minimise chatter.
Yep! I have now begun considering some other razors with deep bends and not just bottom support. As the blackbird taught me that good razor design isn't what my misconceptions led me to believe! The ti blackbird is so satisfying to use. It's like it peels the hair from your face.

Blackbird Ti is in my top 3 along with Wolfman Ti 1.35 and SS 1.55. Most efficient is 1.55, Blackbird Ti is like the 1.35 in efficiency but has more blade feel. Highly recommend the Blackbird Ti. Surprisingly I didn’t get along with the Stainless Blackbird variant, it was too blade forward while the titanium tames the Blackbird just enough to be one of the Best razors in my Den. Highly recommended. Sold off my Blackbird Ti initially, but had to repurchase as it was missed. Special razor with High efficiency for such a small gap of .58

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have:
Blackbird in polished steel, SB and OC
Tatara Nodachi SB and OC

The Blackbird OC is the most efficient, but requires riding the cap lot.

The Nodachi is a bit more efficient as OC for me than with the SB side.

The Blackbird SB isn't as efficient as the three others, but more pleasant to use than its OC.

In general I prefer polished and machined finish, but the Nodachi satin has grown on me.

Tatara makes a better fitting stand, the stand of the Blackbird often fails to keep it standing upright. It's easily tilted.

The Nodachi is like a Game Changer .84 on steroids in deluxe. Both Blackbird plates have a more unique shaving experience, but only the Blackbird OC can top the Nodachi plates in efficiency, but it's a bit hard to use for me.

In the end you will buy one razor sooner, the other later... 😁
I will maybe buy the Yates H or EH, but as I am from Europe and hate customs procedures and/or the prices fit better handling and express shipping, that might take a while.

I was looking forward to the Alpha Bandit, but it got delayed. 😐

Yep! I have now begun considering some other razors with deep bends and not just bottom support. As the blackbird taught me that good razor design isn't what my misconceptions led me to believe! The ti blackbird is so satisfying to use. It's like it peels the hair from your face.

Yah, and conversely, I have had disappointment with razors that tightly sandwich clamp the blade and yet, I didn't enjoy the feel due to lack of blade bend (e.g. tatara and karve).

I have:
Blackbird in polished steel, SB and OC
Tatara Nodachi SB and OC

The Blackbird OC is the most efficient, but requires riding the cap lot.

The Nodachi is a bit more efficient as OC for me than with the SB side.

The Blackbird SB isn't as efficient as the three others, but more pleasant to use than its OC.

In general I prefer polished and machined finish, but the Nodachi satin has grown on me.

Tatara makes a better fitting stand, the stand of the Blackbird often fails to keep it standing upright. It's easily tilted.

The Nodachi is like a Game Changer .84 on steroids in deluxe. Both Blackbird plates have a more unique shaving experience, but only the Blackbird OC can top the Nodachi plates in efficiency, but it's a bit hard to use for me.

In the end you will buy one razor sooner, the other later... 😁
I will maybe buy the Yates H or EH, but as I am from Europe and hate customs procedures and/or the prices fit better handling and express shipping, that might take a while.

I was looking forward to the Alpha Bandit, but it got delayed. 😐

Yates is awesome!
I had the M, Hyb and H.
The H was my favorite and one of my most favorite razors overall.

I still get better results with the blackbird though. There is something very satisfying about the way the blackbird shaves!

The way it leaves the skin with a glass-like finish due to such a deep cutting shave, and yet doesn't leave behind any skin damage!

Yah, and conversely, I have had disappointment with razors that tightly sandwich clamp the blade and yet, I didn't enjoy the feel due to lack of blade bend (e.g. tatara and karve).

Yates is awesome!
I had the M, Hyb and H.
The H was my favorite and one of my most favorite razors overall.

I still get better results with the blackbird though. There is something very satisfying about the way the blackbird shaves!

The way it leaves the skin with a glass-like finish due to such a deep cutting shave, and yet doesn't leave behind any skin damage!
yates and blackbird are both your favorite.Is Yates H about as efficient as blackbird is?

Just added this beauty to the Den! Rockwell 6c in rosegold! Truly an elegant and stunning finish, can't wait to use it 😁
20220401_174125.jpg

I have the Game Changer 84 Open Comb and Blackbird Open Comb (Short Handle) in SS.
I contemplated purchasing the Blackbird for almost a year and tried to sate my RAD with a lot of other A-class razors, but the shaves I get from Blackbird are different from anything I've used, and it keeps getting better.

For me, Blackbird was totally worth it.

I sold off half a dozen razors before finalizing the Blackbird and now my rotation consists of 3 main razors and 1 travel razor; Blackbird leads the pack with the best shaving experience.
What are the other razors in your starting rotation if I may inquire?

I go Steep with my Blackbirds and have never experienced the 'suction effect' you describe.

Well I tried for a long time using every angle including super steep and two different metals including polished brass but I guess the BB isn't for me.

All the shaves were irritation free and close but there is something about the design of the BB I don't like.

I get a much smoother shave with my Sabre - which is machined not polished.

yates and blackbird are both your favorite.Is Yates H about as efficient as blackbird is?

The H is about as efficient in terms of achieving BBS.

But the blackbird shaves deep so my "post shave shadow" is lighter compared to the H plate.

The BBS also lasts the longest with the blackbird.

But the blackbird shaves deep so my "post shave shadow" is lighter compared to the H plate.

Agree with Nav here. The Yates H and Blackbird are both equally efficient for me with the birds shave lasting a tad longer (but not by much). These are my 2 favorite razors and both are a joy to use. Been using my Yates more often as we just get along so well.

Do you have a thick beard? My beard is not dense but very hard

Top Bottom