What's new

Blackland Blackbird worth it?

Hello all. I recently acquired a Tatara Nodachi (with the shortened handle), and I find it to be the finest razor I own, with the Gamechanger .84 a close 2nd. It is exceptionally smooth and very efficient, especially when compared to other razors when I head shave.

I hear amazing things about the Blackland Blackbird though, and wanted to know how it compares. I know this is a bit subjective, but is it worth trying to obtain, or is my Nodachi as good or better?

Any and all input is appreciated.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
They’re both amazing looking razors, but they bend and clamp the blades differently from each other.

If you’re in a region where shipping back to California USA isn’t difficult, they have a return policy.

Also, search around for people are shave-style and skin/whisker doppelgängers of you and see which razor they prefer.

With either the Game Changer or Tatara Masamune Nodachi you already have more than you need, but do you have what you want?

I've never shaved with a Nodachi, but I've used all the Gamechangers and I regularly use a Blackbird with a safety bar. The Blackbird is a much more efficient and blade-forward razor. It's the best shaving razor I've ever used.

I've seen forum members write that the Blackland Era level 5 is similar in feel and efficiency to the Nodachi. I've used a level 5 Era and, if that's true, the Blackbird is at least a few steps up in terms of blade feel and efficiency.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1648847501328.gif

Is there any razor that anyone would consider more efficient than the Blackbird? A Wolfman WR2 1.65 maybe? I've been considered buying a Blackbird for a while now.

Save your money for the titanium Nodachi.

They’re both amazing looking razors, but they bend and clamp the blades differently from each other.

I prefer the Tatara way but my preference is skewed towards SEs so like the way the Tatara holds the blade. The easiest way to upgrade the Nodachi if you haven't already is to try the OC. The BB looks awesome but the Nodachi gave me a better shave. Yes I tried the BB in two different metals and sold them both.

Big dose of YMMV

I have the Nodachi and Blackbird and enjoy using both of them. The Bird has more blade feel compared to the Nodachi. I can get pretty much equal shaves from both of them, but the shave experience is different. The Blackbird was my first "big boy" razor and I really like it a little more than the Nodachi. I like the nimbleness of the Nodachi (mine is on the Masamune handle) over the Bird, but there's just something special about how the Blackbird shaves. The only other razor in my den that beats either of these razors is my Yates 921-H.....pure awesomeness.

Smooth and efficient just stuck to my face like a suction.

I experienced the same effect. Brass was better than titanium but it never glided like my other razors. Something about the design just didn't work out.

Is there any razor that anyone would consider more efficient than the Blackbird? A Wolfman WR2 1.65 maybe? I've been considered buying a Blackbird for a while now.

Try a single edge.

I experienced the same effect. Brass was better than titanium but it never glided like my other razors. Something about the design just didn't work out.

Try a single ed

Try a single edge.
I've got 14 razors and it's the only one thet sticks.That flat piece is a design fault IMO.Great looking razor but it's a no from me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I go Steep with my Blackbirds and have never experienced the 'suction effect' you describe.

I have experienced the effect you describe on the Henson and the Winning Razor. The difference (on my face) is probably that the Henson and the Winning don't work with a steep angle and I'm stuck using their angle.

As has been stated, this is heavyweight YMMV territory. :)

I've never shaved with a Nodachi, but I've used all the Gamechangers and I regularly use a Blackbird with a safety bar. The Blackbird is a much more efficient and blade-forward razor. It's the best shaving razor I've ever used.

I've seen forum members write that the Blackland Era level 5 is similar in feel and efficiency to the Nodachi. I've used a level 5 Era and, if that's true, the Blackbird is at least a few steps up in terms of blade feel and efficiency.
Era is not even close to the Nodachi.

Top Bottom