What's new

Blackland Blackbird - What's your thoughts on that?

Hello guys!

So, I've the chance to pick up a Blackbird SS Machined finish, with both places, for a bargain (around $160), but I don't know much about it.
On the visual aspect, the razor looks absolut STUNNING, but I don't have much knowledge about the way it shaves.

First of all, it's worth the price we pay? It's a good shaver? How agressive it is?

Yes, the final price is with both plates and shipping cost included. I couldn't resist to it! 😂

Some people describe it as a razor with a notorious blade feel without being uncomfortable. But de DE89 has almost no blade feel...

I abstained from buying a blackbird because I had seen some comments about it being very aggressive. More recently I’ve noticed nothing but praise for this razor and most people seem to find it very efficient yet smooth and comfortable to use. Now I regret not buying one as this could have probably been the razor to end my RAD. Ended up with a Masamune instead. It is beautifully designed and beautifully made, very comfortable and forgiving. Just not quite as efficient as I’d like.

The Blackbird is a very popular razor here and it is very pretty. I recently traded for a SB BB as well a Timeless OC .95. After using both a few times the Timeless absolutely was a more enjoyable and smooth razor for myself. Both were extremely efficient but one was a clear winner. This is a good price you found and I would say buy it as you can always sell it later and try another if you decide. Great luck!

The Blackbird safety bar is certainly one of my top razors. And I couldn't care less about a razor's appearance, or hype. I simply value a razor's performance. The Blackbird is an outstanding razor.

I abstained from buying a blackbird because I had seen some comments about it being very aggressive. More recently I’ve noticed nothing but praise for this razor and most people seem to find it very efficient yet smooth and comfortable to use. Now I regret not buying one as this could have probably been the razor to end my RAD. Ended up with a Masamune instead. It is beautifully designed and beautifully made, very comfortable and forgiving. Just not quite as efficient as I’d like.
Ah, but ‘smooth’ is a relative term and has no objective definition. So when people say the Blackbird is smooth, you need to know which more aggressive feeling razors they are saying it is smoother than. And when they say it’s aggressive, you need to know what their smoother razors are.

My view, based on the razors I’ve used, is that the Blackbird is one of the most efficient shavers, and one of the least smooth. It sounds like you value the comfort and gentleness of the Masamune but you would like something that feels similar but is more efficient.

There is a spectrum of razors that will give you progressively more efficiency and usually at the cost of progressively less comfort. But I’m sure the Karve Overlander would give you the same smoothness with more efficiency. The Blutt 1.20 would give you another step more efficiency and still be a lot smoother than the Blackbird, but not as smooth as the Overlander. The Blackbird would give you more efficiency still. There aren’t many razors as efficient as the Blackbird but I would say the Rocnel Sailor is, and it is smoother than the Blackbird - but it’s more expensive. There are other very good razors than these, of course, but these are at least as good as any I’ve come across (in my opinion).

I have had the Blackbird in my shopping cart too many times. Maybe it is time to finally get one. One of the reasons i have not bought it yet is because i shave daily. I think it might be a little too aggressive for daily shaves.
Does anyone know how it compares to something like the Rex Ambassador?
I can use the Rex on setting 4 daily. If the Blackbird is more aggressive then that i am not sure if it is for me.

It is probably one of, if not the nicest looking modern razors on the marked. This will probably be an iconic razor worth owning in my opinion.

Just get the Nodachi base plate or even the Masamune OC base plate. I have all the base plate and top cap options from Tatara. I actually use the Masamune most. When you hit the right angle and pressure it is quite efficient. Try a Nacet blade in it.

The Blackbird will be a completely different animal in terms of blade feel. Rigid vs more flexible head design.
For razors with positive blade exposure i have started to prefer a more flexible head design, like the Blackbird. The full Nodachi Tatara razor is a little to much for me to use daily.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have had the Blackbird in my shopping cart too many times. Maybe it is time to finally get one. One of the reasons i have not bought it yet is because i shave daily. I think it might be a little too aggressive for daily shaves.
Does anyone know how it compares to something like the Rex Ambassador?
I can use the Rex on setting 4 daily. If the Blackbird is more aggressive then that i am not sure if it is for me.

It is probably one of, if not the nicest looking modern razors on the marked. This will probably be an iconic razor worth owning in my opinion.
Depends on your face/skin/beard. :)

My face is creased. My skin is not particularly sensitive. My beard is wiry, grows fast and in very chaotic swirls and directions.

All of the Blackbirds work as daily shavers for me, but the Ti Blackbird is my favorite DE razor. A pleasure to use every day. :)

Hope this helps. :)

I like mine and it does really shave really nice. I kinda wish the angle was a bit more steep though, since I enjoy ''riding'' the bar more than anything else.

Yea that’s a good enough deal that you won’t lose anything if you change your mind later. Next week we’ll have a couple YouTube videos about using the Blackbird. Keep an eye out for those because they will help you better understand what to expect and how to get the most out of your Blackbird.
When will there be another batch of titanium blackbirds available?

@Mr. Shavington, thank you for your insight. The overlander has been on my radar since it was released and there’s a good chance that it will be my next razor. Rocnel razors are absolutely stunning but far too rich for my pocket at the moment.

@JPO, yes I am considering a Nodachi cap and perhaps a Masamune OC plate. What’s holding me back is the cost of shipping and duty from Portugal to Canada. I could have a whole overlander delivered to my door, cheaper then a single top cap from Tatara. I have been using the Masamune almost exclusively since last Christmas, I have tried every combination of angle, pressure, and I’ve tried many different blades. Nacet and Permasharp are my favourite. And the Masamune is a very very good razor, just not quite a be all end all razor. And I have been lead to believe that Tatara razors all feel generally similar only with different levels of aggression.

I generally preferred milder razors like the Timeless Titanium 0.68 or ATT Atlas M1 until my first Blackbird. The first Bird was SS and surprised me. It was bought as a curiosity that I could return if unhappy with it. It is my second favorite razor today, surpassed only by the Titanium Blackbird.

During the first shave with the SS I knew it was special. Sure there was some blade feel but by no means uncomfortable blade feel, more like a little guidance. My cheeks have always been easy to shave and most razors work well, but on my neck, no razor compares to the Blackbirds.

Many find the Titanium to be milder and slightly less efficient than the SS. I do not. I find the Titanium to be almost the same (not even the soft titanium face feel like other brands) but it is lighter and more nimble. I could be very happy with just the SS, but for me the Titanium is even nicer.

As a reference I shave every day and face lather every day. My preferred soap is MdC and my favorite brushes have Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots between 23 and 24 mm nominally.

In my opinion you have a great opportunity and should buy this superb razor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I generally preferred milder razors like the Timeless Titanium 0.68 or ATT Atlas M1 until my first Blackbird. The first Bird was SS and surprised me. It was bought as a curiosity that I could return if unhappy with it. It is my second favorite razor today, surpassed only by the Titanium Blackbird.

During the first shave with the SS I knew it was special. Sure there was some blade feel but by no means uncomfortable blade feel, more like a little guidance. My cheeks have always been easy to shave and most razors work well, but on my neck, no razor compares to the Blackbirds.

Many find the Titanium to be milder and slightly less efficient than the SS. I do not. I find the Titanium to be almost the same (not even the soft titanium face feel like other brands) but it is lighter and more nimble. I could be very happy with just the SS, but for me the Titanium is even nicer.

As a reference I shave every day and face lather every day. My preferred soap is MdC and my favorite brushes have Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots between 23 and 24 mm nominally.

In my opinion you have a great opportunity and should buy this superb razor.
1659821768989.gif

Top Bottom