What's new

Blackland Blackbird vs Vector

I have been using a Blackland Blackbird razor for about a year or so now daily. I really appreciate the irritation free shaves with nice blade feel/feedback. I have progressed in my shaving journey to appreciate blade feel/feedback. I am contemplating a SE Blackland razor. I am leaning towards the Vector model, but am open to the Sabre. My experience with SE has been using a GEM 1912 and Micromatic with the modern production GEM blades. I am curious if the Vector will provide more or less blade feel/feedback in comparison to the Blackbird? Also, does the Vector provide a closer shave overall. Is the Vector more efficient or less efficient when compared to the Blackbird. These are all questions that I am curious about before I make a decision.

Thanks, Mullard

I have been using a Blackland Blackbird razor for about a year or so now daily. I really appreciate the irritation free shaves with nice blade feel/feedback. I have progressed in my shaving journey to appreciate blade feel/feedback. I am contemplating a SE Blackland razor. I am leaning towards the Vector model, but am open to the Sabre. My experience with SE has been using a GEM 1912 and Micromatic with the modern production GEM blades. I am curious if the Vector will provide more or less blade feel/feedback in comparison to the Blackbird? Also, does the Vector provide a closer shave overall. Is the Vector more efficient or less efficient when compared to the Blackbird. These are all questions that I am curious about before I make a decision.

Thanks, Mullard
Tagging in @Steinmetzify as he has both the Blackbird and the Vector and could probably add a good comparison. I do remember him saying the the Blackbird is the razor that he gets the closest shaves from.

What I can say is that the Vector is a very efficient razor. It was very intuitive for me to use as an SE right from the start. I have had good amount of success with it using Schick Proline and Kai Titan Mild blades. The Feather Pro has worked well too but definitely need to be more attentive while using it. I am still not sure if I like the Vector or the Sabre more but the Vector has been elite for me.

@mullard:

For me the Blackbird is king, followed shortly after by the Vector purely for ease of use and right behind the Vector is the Sabre.

I have a lot more time in with the Blackbird, it’s been my #1 for almost a year and it’s the best razor I’ve ever used. Design, aggression, efficiency. It rules for all 3 of those reasons for me.

Vector is extremely intuitive to use; wide narrow head gets a huge swath of hair with every stroke. Light and nimble, really fun to use.

Sabre is bigger and heavier, and slightly more efficient using a L2 plate. Fine razor, extremely well machined and also fun to use.

Shane at Blackland lists the level of aggression for those razors as:

Blackbird - 7.5
Sabre - 5.5
Vector - 5.0

and I agree with that. I can get such a good shave from a 2 pass Blackbird with a couple touch ups that I don’t need to shave at all the next day. That’s the only razor I’ve ever tried that can do that for me.

If I know I’m going to be busy and won’t have time to shave the next day, I’ll use the Blackbird.

Sabre and Vector are pretty much interchangeable to me, I can use either equally well. If I know I’m going to have time the next day to shave again, I’ll use either of them, just depends on my mood as I get a great shave from both of them.

Fair warning, I’ve only used Kai Milds in the Vector, and the only blade I’ll use in the Sabre are Personna PTFE blades, the carbon blades you can get at Walgreens or wherever make for a pretty rough shave in that one.

If you really want a Blackland SE either of those will do. If you’re looking for the same razor as your Blackbird in an SE format, it doesn’t exist.

Great razors, all 3. Glad I have them, don’t regret buying the SEs after using the Blackbird.

To directly answer your questions:

Vector does not have more blade feel than the Bird.
It’s not a closer shave.
It’s not as efficient.

Any other questions, feel free.

I really appreciate the responses. The information was very helpful to me. After reading, I think I am going to stick with the Blackbird for now. I would be looking for something to take my shaves to the next level in regards to blade feel and efficiency. I am content for now with the Blackbird as my daily shaver as I get excellent results with the Blackbird.

Mullard

I agree with the comments above. I've got a Blackbird open comb, Vector, Sabre L2 and Dart. I find the Blackbird most efficient (with the Dart closely behind). The Vector and Sabre are about the same on my face.

Top Bottom