What's new

Blackland Blackbird TI vs Tatara Masamune TI

Hi,

I’m new to DE shaving and currently using a post-war Gillette Tech with a Feather Blade and I’m fairly happy with the shave, but with all the sales coming up, I thought I’d treat myself. I’m a daily shaver, and a couple passes with the Tech is usually good enough for me (still working on the under nose area though). I’m thinking titanium because my Tech only weighs 50g, and an 85g+ stainless razor might throw me off. I’ve also used a plain old 70s Superspeed and it does ok too.

I’ve done a ton of web searches, and the reason I am posting here is that this forum comes up a lot in the results, so there must be quite a few out there that have used/know about both.

I‘ve read both that the Blackbird is both aggressive and forgiving depending on who you ask, and that the Masamune is either a good mild shave or that people can’t get close shaves…lots of conflicting info out there to be sure. If there is such a thing as a “Super Tech“ equivalent that is easier to get the area under the nose that would be great too :)

I have a Blackbird Ti & consider it my number one razor for efficiency & smoothness. But in my opinion, it also requires a great deal of experience to achieve the sublime shave it’s capable of providing. I’m not trying to sound snobbish, I just find the Blackbird requires technical proficiency. Without that technical proficiency, however, I fear the Blackbird might be “too hot”.

The titanium material for razors is my preferred material. It just gives a softness to the shave, in my opinion. A Blackbird in titanium is an outstanding choice. Absolutely my #1 choice, case closed! But consider this option, as well. My #2 razor is a Timeless 0.95 in titanium. The Timeless is a smoother, easier shave & might give you the optimal shave you’re looking for. All of this is just my opinion, however.

Great topic for a thread, thanks for posting the question!

BB and the Nodachi are much closer to each other. Although the head designs are radically different. I’ve tried both in titanium. I’m running a pass around of the titanium Tatara in Europe.

The BB is milder and more forgiving in titanium. Equally the Nodachi in titanium is toned down compared to the original. Personally I prefer the Tatara but would probably pick a different cap-baseplate combination as I hear the Tech is a mild razor. Never tried one myself so can’t make that comparison.

My favourite titanium combo is the Masamune OC.

Some people, me included, experience drag or suction with the BB. I’ve not tried the new satin finish just the machined so that may change things. I actually preferred the brassbird in this regard.

The original Tatara really isn’t that heavy. It’s a good weight. And balance. You would adapt to the difference quickly. I rotate between heavier steel razors and super light vintage GEMs like my Feather Weights no problem.

Consider a red tip Super Speed for vintage, outstanding shavers if you get a good one and keep up with most moderns to me. I also really like the single edge Gem Micromatic which is light and smooth but efficient - If your willing to try single edges they are cheap.

My favorite razor out of 20+ so far is the Razorock GameChanger 84p which is more aggressive then the tech type razors but not overly aggressive like some and is the cheapest SS razor you’ll find at $55 new. It outshaves razors that cost 2-3 times that for me. The head is very nimble but their handles are quite heavy and that’s the only thing that is a negative for you.

But the handles are universal and you can always pick up a lightweight handle to try out. In fact I think they may offer a titanium one but I don’t like the grip layout of it. If you pick one up and don’t like the weight just use the handle from your Tech and if you like the razor find another modern handle that’s light.

This goes for any razor you choose, many have heavy handles from the factory but that’s no reason to write them off. I really love heavy handles as it lets the razor do the work for you without applying any pressure. Applying pressure is the number one way to get irritation and as soon as I learnt that I was shaving like a pro in no time.

I have the BB TI and the Masamune, Nodachi and the Muramasa. I have shaved daily with the BB with no issues. I am not able to do that with the Masamune. The rigid blade support of the Masamune does seem to leave my skin over exfoliated as compared to the BB. In my opinion, these two razors are so different in head design that it does not make much sense to compare them.
The BB TI is the only efficient razor i have used which i can use daily.
If you do not have any budget limits i would get the Tatara Muramasa or the BB TI.
The Muramasa adjustable should not be compared to the the Masamune/Nodachi. It has a much softer face feel, while still being as efficient. I regret buying all the base plate, handles, top caps when i should have gotten the Muramasa to start with.
I think the Masamune, especially if you chose the OC plate is going to be more then efficient enough for you.

I have a Blackbird Ti & consider it my number one razor for efficiency & smoothness. But in my opinion, it also requires a great deal of experience to achieve the sublime shave it’s capable of providing. I’m not trying to sound snobbish, I just find the Blackbird requires technical proficiency. Without that technical proficiency, however, I fear the Blackbird might be “too hot”.

The titanium material for razors is my preferred material. It just gives a softness to the shave, in my opinion. A Blackbird in titanium is an outstanding choice. Absolutely my #1 choice, case closed! But consider this option, as well. My #2 razor is a Timeless 0.95 in titanium. The Timeless is a smoother, easier shave & might give you the optimal shave you’re looking for. All of this is just my opinion, however.

Great topic for a thread, thanks for posting the question!
This is probably what I needed to hear. I just went poking around Blackland's site and found their blog on beginner razor selection, and they basically recommended everything BUT the Blackbird. I'll need to go look at these Timeless razors. A Ti Vector might be another way to go.

Last edited:
But the handles are universal and you can always pick up a lightweight handle to try out. In fact I think they may offer a titanium one but I don’t like the grip layout of it. If you pick one up and don’t like the weight just use the handle from your Tech and if you like the razor find another modern handle that’s light.

I'm using the lighter Masamune handle with either head style by the way. The Nodachi head does allow other handle designs to be fitted.

I just went poking around Blackland's site and found their blog on beginner razor selection, and they basically recommended everything BUT the Blackbird.

Most of the Blackland razors are geared towards efficiency rather than smoothness, although some share both qualities. Other than the now discontinued Era the other mild offering is the Sabre which takes GEM blades. IMO I don't agree with the rating of the Vector and don't consider it mild. Both my ATT X1 and Colonial General are more comfortable.

If you want a "super tech" look up the BBS-1 and its successor the WR2 from Wolfman.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm using the lighter Masamune handle with either head style by the way. The Nodachi head does allow other handle designs to be fitted.

Most of the Blackland razors are geared towards efficiency rather than smoothness, although some share both qualities. Other than the now discontinued Era the other mild offering is the Sabre which takes GEM blades. IMO I don't agree with the rating of the Vector and don't consider it mild. Both my ATT X1 and Colonial General are more comfortable.

If you want a "super tech" look up the BBS-1 and its successor the WR2 from Wolfman.
I can't comment on most of your post but I will agree.... the ATT X1 Slant is a very smooth razor. It's probably a half step or so more efficient than my ESC Claymore Evolution without sacrificing any of the comfort... Smooth, relaxed and engaging shaves. I just love it. A caveat: I've only been using an AC or DE razor since the middle of February this year so I still consider myself a novice. I did use the Claymore Evo for 5 and half months at the start of my journey, to give a point of reference.

I‘m afraid I am completely ignorant when it comes to slant razors. When/why to use, control, everything. I haven’t made it that far yet :(

This is probably what I needed to hear. I just went poking around Blackland's site and found their blog on beginner razor selection, and they basically recommended everything BUT the Blackbird. I'll need to go look at these Timeless razors. A Ti Vector might be another way to go.

Blackbird Ti is a different beast than the stainless. Titanium is far more beginner-friendly, but still highly efficient. Vector (SS or Ti) is the most versatile and user-friendly we make. A lot of beginners and people with a wide variety of skin types use and love the Vector. Blade choice really helps dial in the shave because Artist Club razors vary greatly in performance. It's hard to go wrong with the Vector and it's absolutely what I'd recommend.

I went ahead and picked up a Vector Ti. For this purchase I figure I would try something different since the Tech will probably do what I need a DE to for now. The 30 day trial period was pretty much the clincher. I just hope it’s not as efficient /aggressive as some say. One of the things I like about the Tech is that it’s easy to get a decent enough shave without worrying about cuts. Now if someone invents a better Tech…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I simply use the X1 as a regular razor. No special slant technique. It's just a smoother version of their standard SE1 to me.
That's how I use it as well. I might be ignorant but if you use your regular shaving stroke patterns, that's where the slant shines... because it's cutting on a slight angle. I didn't know there was a special slant technique, but there might well be. I'm too new to know, truth be told.

My posts are often corrected here. There are a lot of things I just don't know yet. I don't mind having my posts adjusted or corrected. So, if there is a special technique to use with slant razors, I hope someone who knows will chime in.

I went ahead and picked up a Vector Ti. For this purchase I figure I would try something different since the Tech will probably do what I need a DE to for now. The 30 day trial period was pretty much the clincher. I just hope it’s not as efficient /aggressive as some say. One of the things I like about the Tech is that it’s easy to get a decent enough shave without worrying about cuts. Now if someone invents a better Tech…
Great choice! The Vector is an outstanding razor! Blackland has some of the absolute best razors on the market.

Top Bottom