What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

A little over 24 hours, and I feel stubble in a few places. I'll wait until evening and maybe give the SB a try.
OK, so I didn't (wait until evening). Out of the shower, I grabbed the Blackbird, switched baseplates from the OC to the SB, and went at it with generic Wallyworld shave cream from a can. Kept at it until every last bit of hair even threatened to appear from my face/neck. With my Timeless .95OC I would have been red and sore from the jaw down. I had zero issues outside of 3 tiny weepers that were frankly the result of my pushing to envelope pressure-wise to learn the BB's limits. This IS my nirvana. My Timeless will not stay mine.

OK, so I didn't (wait until evening). Out of the shower, I grabbed the Blackbird, switched baseplates from the OC to the SB, and went at it with generic Wallyworld shave cream from a can. Kept at it until every last bit of hair even threatened to appear from my face/neck. With my Timeless .95OC I would have been red and sore from the jaw down. I had zero issues outside of 3 tiny weepers that were frankly the result of my pushing to envelope pressure-wise to learn the BB's limits. This IS my nirvana. My Timeless will not stay mine.

Sounds like a success!

Razor: Blackland Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Rubie (3)
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic
Soap: Zingari Man - The Explorer
Rating: 10/10

Decided to see how the Blackbird dealt with three days growth and it scythed through it like it wasn't even there.
I'm still impressed with how close this razor shaves every single time but with no irritation.
It was the third use of the Rubie and it's still performing well and could easily go further but I'm still experimenting with blades so next will be a BIC Chrome Platinum. So far it doesn't seem to be fussy about blades, I've used GSB,
Super Shave X and Rubie and they've all worked really well.

I'm still loving the Zingari soap and balm, performance during and after the shave is superb.

67DB6F1D-DC3A-4D7A-B38F-194CFFA42C54.jpeg

Good stuff. B&M is great, even compared to the stuff I’ve been using lately. Haven’t seen this brush in a while, had to use it. Lowborn Supply with an Envy White knot. Prada AS and EdT finished it nicely.

Sabre still being my favorite lately.

Attachments

• 80949B5A-F541-4767-A000-B6C932D3302A.jpeg
    80949B5A-F541-4767-A000-B6C932D3302A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
Soap: Zingari Man - The Explorer
Rating: 9.5/10

I've knocked half a point off because I gave myself a couple of weepers, they were totally down to the operator and not the equipment though. First use of the BIC in the Blackbird and from a closeness point of view - Wow!
If I was marking the shave only on closeness and lack of irritation with this razor and blade I'd give it eleven...

Hola afeitadora Zen. También existe la opción del latón que también genera una pátina única para la navaja, siendo el latón mucho más resistente al acero inoxidable 303 y más cálido en la sensación al afeitarse. En otros foros mencionan que incluso el latón se desliza por la cara con mayor facilidad que la versión mecanizada de acero y óxido negro; muy parecido a la versión pulida.

I can help with this. The main downside (which is also a main upside) is that it gets worn over time and really shows its age. There is a slight increased risk of rust formation because black oxide is itself a form of controlled oxidation/rust. You want to avoid using anything abrasive or acidic. So not stiff bristles or vinegar. Aside from that, just wipe it down a bit more frequently and you’re set. I still have and use the very first Blackbird in black oxide.

Also, black oxide is going to be restocked within the next week. Release date TBA.
Thanks Shane. Do you remove the blade between shaves?

Thanks Shane. Do you remove the blade between shaves?

That is the best way to care for a razor, but I personally just unscrew the handle a turn or so and leave the blade in. You want the blade to dry between shaves so letting air get to the blade is the most important thing, however you decide to do that.

Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (3)
Soap: La Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap Stick
Rating: 9.8

Another super close shave with the BIC in the Blackbird, next time will be with a Nacet.
The soap I hadn't used for a few months but I really like it, lathers easily, slick and protective.
I found the balm in a local store at about half price and the performance for a budget product is very good indeed.
IMG_20200918_191013.jpg

Question for the group. I had a Dart a couple years ago but sold it when I bought another razor. I love the 'Bird, I've got the itch for the Dart again... Any comparisons? I like the efficiency of the 'Bird.

Question for the group. I had a Dart a couple years ago but sold it when I bought another razor. I love the 'Bird, I've got the itch for the Dart again... Any comparisons? I like the efficiency of the 'Bird.

@ShavingPanda I was in your same shoes a few weeks ago. I too love the ‘Bird and wanted to try the Dart. I tried the Dart recently and unfortunately did not have the immediate connection with it like I did the ‘Bird. I tried riding the cap and the safety bar, like I do with the BB, and just couldn’t get the same smooth and easy shaves like I get with the BB. I find the BB without comparison and hence it’s the only razor I use these days.

In the end, if your curiosity gets the best of you, don’t hesitate to buy new directly from Shane. The risk-free 30 day trial is a no brainer and the customer service is great.

@ShavingPanda I was in your same shoes a few weeks ago. I too love the ‘Bird and wanted to try the Dart. I tried the Dart recently and unfortunately did not have the immediate connection with it like I did the ‘Bird. I tried riding the cap and the safety bar, like I do with the BB, and just couldn’t get the same smooth and easy shaves like I get with the BB. I find the BB without comparison and hence it’s the only razor I use these days.

In the end, if your curiosity gets the best of you, don’t hesitate to buy new directly from Shane. The risk-free 30 day trial is a no brainer and the customer service is great.

Thanks! I recall it not providing me as good of a shave as the 'Bird. I will try to avoid temptation or perhaps trade a lesser used razor for one, if it pops up. Trying to reduce the den so I can have more time with my 'Bird and Wolfies :)

Top Bottom