What's new

Blackland Brotherhood - B³

I have been shaving every day for 2 weeks with my Blackbird and absolutely LOVE it!!!...For now I own a Rex ambassador,Timeless Ss,and CG Lv2 as a comparison...I have to say all my razor will give me an exceptional shave,but for me it's how they "Drive"....For me the Blackbird Drives perfect...Between the handle length and head balance it just feels Right...No nicks,cuts or irritation...So at the moment I have found my Razor Nirvana....But let's be Honest...There will always be a new girl to come along 😋

Excellent summary!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

For those with the black oxide version, do you see any downsides? I know the finish is a chemical reaction and wears off over time. Does cleaning with Scrubbing bubbles hasten this? Is there an increased/decreased risk of rust formation?

For those with the black oxide version, do you see any downsides? I know the finish is a chemical reaction and wears off over time. Does cleaning with Scrubbing bubbles hasten this? Is there an increased/decreased risk of rust formation?

I can help with this. The main downside (which is also a main upside) is that it gets worn over time and really shows its age. There is a slight increased risk of rust formation because black oxide is itself a form of controlled oxidation/rust. You want to avoid using anything abrasive or acidic. So not stiff bristles or vinegar. Aside from that, just wipe it down a bit more frequently and you’re set. I still have and use the very first Blackbird in black oxide.

Also, black oxide is going to be restocked within the next week. Release date TBA.

I can help with this. The main downside (which is also a main upside) is that it gets worn over time and really shows its age. There is a slight increased risk of rust formation because black oxide is itself a form of controlled oxidation/rust. You want to avoid using anything abrasive or acidic. So not stiff bristles or vinegar. Aside from that, just wipe it down a bit more frequently and you’re set. I still have and use the very first Blackbird in black oxide.

Also, black oxide is going to be restocked within the next week. Release date TBA.
Thanks for the great info and response!

I have not had any rust issues with my black oxide bird and I even leave the blade in it between shaves. One of my favorite things about it is that I don’t have to wipe it down after each use like my polished razors.
+1. The BB black oxide is my favorite finish of any razor I’ve owned.....which made it that much harder for me to part with it. Unfortunately, I just prefer a more mild feeling razor with less blade feel, so as undeniably awesome as the ‘Bird is, it just wasn’t for me.

I have not had any rust issues with my black oxide bird and I even leave the blade in it between shaves. One of my favorite things about it is that I don’t have to wipe it down after each use like my polished razors.
+1. The BB black oxide is my favorite finish of any razor I’ve owned.....which made it that much harder for me to part with it. Unfortunately, I just prefer a more mild feeling razor with less blade feel, so as undeniably awesome as the ‘Bird is, it just wasn’t for me.

Thanks guys!, I’ve had my eye on the black oxide bb for awhile. I like that’s it’s a unique finish. I’ve got other shiny razors.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@never-stop-learning , below is the message from the club founder himself. Your peerage have expressed having no problem with other Blackland finery here. I say this as an interested bystander who doesn’t yet own a Blackland Razor, but who has placed a Fatip Grande next to an R41 and nip bottle of 1800 in a dark drawer in hopes a baby Blackbird will show up

@nelamvr6 told me it was fine for Blackland Blackbird Brotherhood members to discuss other fine Blackland razors in the club.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning , below is the message from the club founder himself. Your peerage have expressed having no problem with other Blackland finery here. I say this as an interested bystander who doesn’t yet own a Blackland Razor, but who has placed a Fatip Grande next to an R41 and nip bottle of 1800 in a dark drawer in hopes a baby Blackbird will show up
Outstanding! :)

Thank you, Sir! :thumbup:

The BB is such a joy to use that I don’t want to shave with anything else. Knowing that, now I’m enjoying exploring what blades work well. At first, I was strictly using Wizamets but have had a Feather in it for the past 5-6 shaves and it’s been wonderful. Very smooth and comfortable.

View attachment 1137820

Feathers seem to work best with the BB with me as well. Other good pairings are the polsilver/wizamet you mentioned and also Nacets.

Reminded myself again this morning why the blackbird is still in my den. Not the smoothest razor, but I haven't shaved with anything else this efficient. After two passes, my face feel like glass. I've shaved with some pretty "efficient" razors recently and I get more irritation with less close of a shave. Traded my Sabre for a Brassbird, so ill need to post some pics once I get that cleaned up!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200826
20200826_150315~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Blackbird SB
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: TurnNShave (TNS 25mm Quartermoon Knot)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Close, comfortable and wonderful shave! :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For you gents that have an ink well stand with your BB ... does it fit firmly and sit straight up? Mine has some wobble in it.

Top Bottom