What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Blackland Blackbird Opinion

I have been shaving every day for 2 weeks with my Blackbird and absolutely LOVE it!!!...For now I own a Rex ambassador,Timeless Ss,and CG Lv2 as a comparison...I have to say all my razor will give me an exceptional shave,but for me it's how they "Drive"....For me the Blackbird Drives perfect...Between the handle length and head balance it just feels Right...No nicks,cuts or irritation...So at the moment I have found my Razor Nirvana....But let's be Honest...There will always be a new girl to come along 😋

If I had to get rid of all but two of my de razors, the Blackbird and my Timeless SS .95OC would be the keepers. I think Shane hit a homerun with the Blackbird.

Reactions: AQU
The Blackbird is my favorite "Modern" razor. It's about as close as a person can get to a perfect razor. Shane can call it inspired by the SR-71 Blackbird, but to me it has an art deco styling that would not have been out of place in the 1920's. (Not comparing it to razors of that era, but rather architectural and artistic designs of that time).

It is one of the crown jewels of my collection.

If a person is lucky enough to be one of the few who got one, the wooden presentation case is a throwback to the Richwood and Big Fellow.

For you Blackbird lovers, there is a thread started here on B&B where you can join others and continue extolling the virtues of the BB :)

BigJ

Ambassador
I have been shaving every day for 2 weeks with my Blackbird and absolutely LOVE it!!!...For now I own a Rex ambassador,Timeless Ss,and CG Lv2 as a comparison...I have to say all my razor will give me an exceptional shave,but for me it's how they "Drive"....For me the Blackbird Drives perfect...Between the handle length and head balance it just feels Right...No nicks,cuts or irritation...So at the moment I have found my Razor Nirvana....But let's be Honest...There will always be a new girl to come along 😋
Excellent summary!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

For those with the black oxide version, do you see any downsides? I know the finish is a chemical reaction and wears off over time. Does cleaning with Scrubbing bubbles hasten this? Is there an increased/decreased risk of rust formation?

For those with the black oxide version, do you see any downsides? I know the finish is a chemical reaction and wears off over time. Does cleaning with Scrubbing bubbles hasten this? Is there an increased/decreased risk of rust formation?
I can help with this. The main downside (which is also a main upside) is that it gets worn over time and really shows its age. There is a slight increased risk of rust formation because black oxide is itself a form of controlled oxidation/rust. You want to avoid using anything abrasive or acidic. So not stiff bristles or vinegar. Aside from that, just wipe it down a bit more frequently and you’re set. I still have and use the very first Blackbird in black oxide.

Also, black oxide is going to be restocked within the next week. Release date TBA.

I can help with this. The main downside (which is also a main upside) is that it gets worn over time and really shows its age. There is a slight increased risk of rust formation because black oxide is itself a form of controlled oxidation/rust. You want to avoid using anything abrasive or acidic. So not stiff bristles or vinegar. Aside from that, just wipe it down a bit more frequently and you’re set. I still have and use the very first Blackbird in black oxide.

Also, black oxide is going to be restocked within the next week. Release date TBA.
Thanks for the great info and response!

I have not had any rust issues with my black oxide bird and I even leave the blade in it between shaves. One of my favorite things about it is that I don’t have to wipe it down after each use like my polished razors.
+1. The BB black oxide is my favorite finish of any razor I’ve owned.....which made it that much harder for me to part with it. Unfortunately, I just prefer a more mild feeling razor with less blade feel, so as undeniably awesome as the ‘Bird is, it just wasn’t for me.

I have not had any rust issues with my black oxide bird and I even leave the blade in it between shaves. One of my favorite things about it is that I don’t have to wipe it down after each use like my polished razors.
+1. The BB black oxide is my favorite finish of any razor I’ve owned.....which made it that much harder for me to part with it. Unfortunately, I just prefer a more mild feeling razor with less blade feel, so as undeniably awesome as the ‘Bird is, it just wasn’t for me.
Thanks guys!, I’ve had my eye on the black oxide bb for awhile. I like that’s it’s a unique finish. I’ve got other shiny razors.

Hola afeitadora Zen. También existe la opción del latón que también genera una pátina única para la navaja, siendo el latón mucho más resistente al acero inoxidable 303 y más cálido en la sensación al afeitarse. En otros foros mencionan que incluso el latón se desliza por la cara con mayor facilidad que la versión mecanizada de acero y óxido negro; muy parecido a la versión pulida.

Thanks Shane. Do you remove the blade between shaves?

Thanks Shane. Do you remove the blade between shaves?
That is the best way to care for a razor, but I personally just unscrew the handle a turn or so and leave the blade in. You want the blade to dry between shaves so letting air get to the blade is the most important thing, however you decide to do that.

Top Bottom