What's new

Blackland Blackbird "Lite"

Yes, I have both. They are very, very different razors and both are excellent. The Era has about the best blade clamping for the most rigid edge. The Blackbird is very efficient and surprisingly smooth for a razor with that much exposure. What are you looking for?
I have an Era, it's the best razor I've ever owned, use every shave. Probably shouldn't be looking for something any better.....

Yes, I agree with that, but I’m failing to state my point clearly/precisely/concisely enough. Oh well ….
No, you are communicating clearly, the Blackbird does bend the blade more than the Karve CB. The thing is that while most people would agree with your blade parings to the razors mentioned, it's possible that it's because of blade exposure instead of the angle of the blade in the razor. Shave angle does play a role because a sharper blade used at a steep shaving angle is going to be more difficult and higher risk. So the angle that you are using those two razors at may play more of a role in your preferences than the razor design itself. But the razor design may dictate a certain angle, which you may or may not follow. So everything comes down to too many variables to hone in on blade angle inside the razor. The Henson razors, most agree, work better with as sharp of a blade as can be tolerated. Yet they actually specify that the blade is bent 30° inside the razor. There are more factors at play, but there is something immediately noticeable when switching from a middle of the road blade to a Nacet, for example. So a razor with a lot of blade angle that really does need a sharper blade, partly because it has little blade exposure. The CB razors are known to have less blade exposure than the published numbers so I would be surprised if that didn't factor into this.

I just got home from vacation to meet my Blackbird Lite for the first time with a 3-day stubble. I would say my beard is medium-to-high thickness and moderate toughness.
I used the Personna super blade that came with it. I'm absolutely not an expert but...

What a phenomenal shave! The first pass WTG already cleared most of it and the second, ATG sealed the deal for a very smooth and comfortable shave. Super easy to find the proper angle and absolutely no irritation. This one is a keeper for sure! And it looks stunning on my counter!

Razor: Blackbird Lite
Blade: Personna
Brush: Fendrihan Super Badger
Soap: Razorock Green Label Stick
Aftershave: RR Alum and Natura Homen Copaiba balm (Brazil)

View attachment 1579174View attachment 1579175
Hello Chelko,

What stand razor is that? Where is the blackbird?

It is very nice stand razor. What diameter is the top port so that the blackbird fits perfectly and stays straight? thank you very much cheko

1680393541340.png

It is very nice stand razor. What diameter is the top port so that the blackbird fits perfectly and stays straight? thank you very much chelko
Sorry about the misinformation. I just checked my razors and I realized I mentioned my other stand. The Dedge stand is the one where the Timeless is on. The actual stand you asked me about is the RazoRock Stainless Steel Raised Inkwell Razor Stand.

Attachments

• 20230401_190142.jpg
    20230401_190142.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 67
Sorry about the misinformation. I just checked my razors and I realized I mentioned my other stand. The Dedge stand is the one where the Timeless is on. The actual stand you asked me about is the RazoRock Stainless Steel Raised Inkwell Razor Stand.
Thank you Chelko. Thank you muzichead. This stand of razorock for the blackbird is very nice. I like it more than the blackbird stand original. Thank you for the information. Regards.

Hate to be nitpicky here, but I do want to add clarity to this because it is confusing. Shaving angle refers to the angle between the blade and skin. So when the top cap is against the skin, the blade has a more acute angle relative to the skin surface. When the top cap is far away, the blade angle increases toward perpendicular. The handle angle follows from that and doesn’t really matter. So when we say “shallow angle”, we mean that the top cap should be closer to the skin or touching it.

None of this actually matters btw. If the razor is working well how you’re holding it then who cares how you’re “supposed” to do it?
So does the Lite shave at a different angle than the standard Blackbird?

I have been using the Blackbird Ti SB and have been getting very good results. However, the last couple of shaves I found the blade feel a bit uncomfortable. So, having caught RAD from the rest of you, I purchased the Lite plate. I used it for the first time today. I found it gave me much less blade feel, BUT not NO blade feel. It is not a neutral or negative blade exposure plate. That said, it was comfortable and smooth using the PermaSharp blade (3). I do believe it could have been better with a different blade. I will find out later this week. On to Efficiency. The Lite was not as efficient as the SB plate and it required me to do additional buffing and touchups. Again, that might have been the blade. The shave was definitely DFS+ but not as good as my shaves with the SB plate. Time and blade choice will tell if that changes.
Having both plates basically gives me an adjustable scenario, similar to Rockwell 6 series.
The razor is definitely a winner, plate and blade is YMMV, but worth the cost.

The Merkur 34C, Muhle R89 and Feather ASD2 have higher incidents of nicks or irritation. And they certainly don’t shave as closely or as smoothly as the Blackland Blackbird Lite.

The BB Lite is a keeper.
Just to recap, do you still think the BB lite is more efficient than the muhle r89, and feather SD2 ? I’m seriously considering to purchase, your honest reply very appreciated ✌️

Just to recap, do you still think the BB lite is more efficient than the muhle r89, and feather SD2 ? I’m seriously considering to purchase, your honest reply very appreciated ✌️
BB lite is 1000 times better than the razors listed above...a great razor with good efficiency "I see it as a daily razor, maximum 2 days"
My2Cent
Feather ASD-2 and R89 are really mild in everything... if you have very delicate skin or have recently shaved, then yes
Otherwise BB Lite or normal for life

Top Bottom