What's new

Blackland Blackbird "Lite"

I just got home from vacation to meet my Blackbird Lite for the first time with a 3-day stubble. I would say my beard is medium-to-high thickness and moderate toughness.
I used the Personna super blade that came with it. I'm absolutely not an expert but...

What a phenomenal shave! The first pass WTG already cleared most of it and the second, ATG sealed the deal for a very smooth and comfortable shave. Super easy to find the proper angle and absolutely no irritation. This one is a keeper for sure! And it looks stunning on my counter!

Razor: Blackbird Lite
Blade: Personna
Brush: Fendrihan Super Badger
Soap: Razorock Green Label Stick
Aftershave: RR Alum and Natura Homen Copaiba balm (Brazil)

20221228_163106.jpg
20221228_184253.jpg

Question for the members just now reporting results for the Blackbird lite please?? I have watched Shawns’s clip and read some of the reviews on the Blackland site, as well as some of you..
I keep seeing the same words/phrases:
Everyday shaver.
3-4 pass shaver.
Less efficient that original Blackbird.
Little to no blade feel.

How does this new razor compare, to say the EJ89, Merkur23 and 34, and even the Feather AS-D2 and Muhle89?? Thanks gentlemen.

After reviewing and reading as many different user's opinions over the last few months in my research of the different DE options out there, I registered a few minutes ago simply to voice my opinion that these Blackland razors are absolutely stunning, and simply works of art. The Blackbird, to my eye, is the most beautiful I've seen/come across...the Vector being a twin sister!
I've been trying different razors last few months in my search for something that not only works for me, but something I can pass down to my sons (I'm wired to think this way in just about all that I buy). This has not involved Blackland products due to my fear of being too aggressive, etc., but after reading about this "Lite" variant, I placed an order. Have my fingers crossed on this, as no hiding the fact I'm hoping it's a perfect fit.
As a side ramble...unfortunately I'm new to this DE thing. At the age of 55, I've battled ingrown hair issues using the different cartridge-based razors most of my life. I realize dealing with such is a small problem to have...especially within in the grand scheme, but I hate the d*** things. Have scars on my aging neck from years of battling. After it was suggested to get away from the multi-bladed options, I gave a Bevel Razor a shot. I was completely surprised at how easy it was to battle 2 days of growth...feeling no drag whatsoever...and with no ingrown encountered during this testing phase, to say I'm excited at the prospect of this moving forward is an understatement.
So far, besides the Bevel use, I've given the Timeless .68 and .95 a go. Again, very excited to try this Blackbird Lite. And it's very nice to see products like this being made, especially here in the US.
Yep. I finally discovered traditional de shaving in my later 50’s as well.. Gross- but I can’t remember now the last time I yanked an ingrown hair out of the blemish it caused with tweezers so it would heal and not cause a nick next time I shaved. Ingrown hairs have become a very, very rare occurrence since ditching the cartridge razors. At least I can get my son (still a couple years young to shave) started off correctly so he doesn’t have to deal with that aggravation on top of the skin blemishes that naturally come with puberty. My Dad was a Schick injector guy till carts took over, and I started with carts. I would suggest that us late baby boomers were the first generation to be raised with no knowledge of the benefits of a single blade and a brush. I’m keeping all the razors I’ve worked thru just so my son can try everything as decide what works best for him. After that, there will probably be a large sell off of razors and more than a few shotguns, lol.

Question for the members just now reporting results for the Blackbird lite please?? I have watched Shawns’s clip and read some of the reviews on the Blackland site, as well as some of you..
Everyday shaver.
3-4 pass shaver.
Little to no blade feel.

How does this new razor compare, to say the EJ89, Merkur23 and 34, and even the Feather AS-D2 and Muhle89?? Thanks gentlemen.
Similar but prob a litttle more blade feel than 34c but more efficient. I haven’t done a side by side yet with the 34c or any razor yet. Bottom line for me - It’s good. I intend to keep that along with the Reg blackbird.

Similar but prob a litttle more blade feel than 34c but more efficient. I haven’t done a side by side yet with the 34c or any razor yet. Bottom line for me - It’s good. I intend to keep that along with the Reg blackbird.
Thanks for your input cf1.😊👍💈

Reactions: cf1
Everyday shaver.
3-4 pass shaver.
Little to no blade feel.

The Merkur 34C, Muhle R89 and Feather ASD2 have higher incidents of nicks or irritation. And they certainly don’t shave as closely or as smoothly as the Blackland Blackbird Lite.

The BB Lite is a keeper.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday 20230108
20230108_180230~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird Lite (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey "The Favorite" (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

The Lite plate definitely has less blade feel. It prefers a more neutral to shallow angle to optimize efficiency. Personally, I like the blade feel (and the efficiency) of the original Blackbird plate but, if you don't, the Lite plate will fill the bill.
20230108_180230~4.jpg

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave and more:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12080826

Sunday 20230108
View attachment 1585423
Razor: @Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird Lite (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey "The Favorite" (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

The Lite plate definitely has less blade feel. It prefers a more neutral to shallow angle to optimize efficiency. Personally, I like the blade feel (and the efficiency) of the original Blackbird plate but, if you don't, the Lite plate will fill the bill.
View attachment 1585422
Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave and more:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12080826
Excellent👍😊💈

After receiving the email about the Ti version, I decided to check Shan's rating system for it since he claims it's the "smoothest, mildest Blackbird ever." Strangely, it says that the blade feel is higher and the smoothness lower than the SS version!?

If I extrapolate the change the lite plate made on the original, the titanium should be:
6.5/5.5/10

After receiving the email about the Ti version, I decided to check Shan's rating system for it since he claims it's the "smoothest, mildest Blackbird ever." Strangely, it says that the blade feel is higher and the smoothness lower than the SS version!?

If I extrapolate the change the lite plate made on the original, the titanium should be:
6.5/5.5/10

Yea we just screwed that up. Fixed it a while ago so all should be good now.

Well, I’m officially a Blackbird fanboy! Loved the Ti Blackbird so I had to try the OC plate. Loved the OC plate so now just pulled the plug on the Ti Lite! (Oh and did I mention I got a Dart during the limited release)? I feel like Al Pacino in Godfather 3 (“Just when I think I’m out…”)!

Top Bottom