What's new

Blackbird

The Greencult bends the blade a good bit, but maybe not as much as the Bird or Yates. I only use a steeper angle so I'm not certain how well it would work with a neutral to shallow angle. Maybe some Greencult owners can chime in. I just remember it irritating my skin with daily shaves where as the Blackbird and Yates H do not.

It's a very nice razor for the money though if it works for you. The handle is super long, but actually works well and has good grip when wet.
So I’m assuming it probably feels and shaves more like an R41 then? Which if it is still would make it probably more of an every other day shaver for me. But the handle as far as length and grip was something that I was worried about myself. Just because I like handles more around 80mm to 85mm generally speaking. I find them more maneuverable than longer handles. But the good praise of it will hopefully end being a good combination with that razor.

I had got my blackbird in yesterday morning before I had to go into work and finally got my first shave in with it tonight with a personna lab blue. I have to say not only is it a nice looking razor but it is also surprisingly really smooth and fairly efficient also. At least to me anyways. Only one really small nick under my nose when getting those last little hairs. Operator error, not the razors fault at all with that one. In the end it was a decent dfs. Which is fine with me. I feel like I could’ve gotten a little closer. But I’m still working through the different angles to see what I can get and how it feels. It’ll probably take a few shaves or so to find it. But pretty much any angle I used oddly was at least super comfortable. Maybe at some point I’ll get and try the open comb version and see if I like that.
I myself just shaved with my machined brass BB, also using a Personna lab blue and also nicking myself a tiny bit under my nose actually 😅

On the topic of the OC plate, having one myself, if you get yourself one it's probably one of the last razors you wanna apply any pressure to your face with since the teeth on the OC plate feel themselves to be an almost razor's edge and can cause a bit of discomfort otherwise, that being said it's crazy efficient though not much more than the standard SB plate

So I’m assuming it probably feels and shaves more like an R41 then? Which if it is still would make it probably more of an every other day shaver for me. But the handle as far as length and grip was something that I was worried about myself. Just because I like handles more around 80mm to 85mm generally speaking. I find them more maneuverable than longer handles. But the good praise of it will hopefully end being a good combination with that razor.
The Greencult is not as rough and/or tuggy as the R41....but I felt it to be more aggressive than my Blackbird. It would have been an every other day razor for me if I'd kept it. I shave daily so it wouldn't have gotten much use. The handle was a pleasant surprise.

I myself just shaved with my machined brass BB, also using a Personna lab blue and also nicking myself a tiny bit under my nose actually 😅

On the topic of the OC plate, having one myself, if you get yourself one it's probably one of the last razors you wanna apply any pressure to your face with since the teeth on the OC plate feel themselves to be an almost razor's edge and can cause a bit of discomfort otherwise, that being said it's crazy efficient though not much more than the standard SB plate
That’s crazy that we’d be using the same razor, with the same blade, and get nicked in the same spot. But I’ve read that some people have found the teeth on it somewhat uncomfortable. I’ll have to remember to keep the light pressure with it. But I do like efficient razors. So I’m hoping for a nice amount of efficiency out of it too like you said.

What's the Rocca like in terms of blade feel/gap/efficiency?
Let's say compared to the ATT Windsor SSRH!
That black stainless Rocca looks incredible!
I believe the Rocca has a larger blade gap with less blade feel compared to the SSRH. At least that’s the way it looks and feels to me.

I ended up returning my Windsor….just wasn’t quite as smooth as my other top performers.

May I ask how often you shave and what determines whether you pull out the BB or the Overlander?
I shave daily. I typically rotate razors when it’s time to change the blade which is usually 4-5 shaves. I use the Yates and Bird a little more often than the Rocca and Overlander, but I try to use them all regularly.

I also use a Henson Ti22 med as well with great results….very similar to the others but for some reason I reach for this one a little less often.

The Overlander is the mildest of the bunch but is pretty efficient. It’s my go to when I want something a little mellow. It’s my go to for travel as well.

Top Bottom