What's new

Blackbird vs Dart

My Blackland Dart is my favorite razor to date. I consistently get 2 pass BBS shaves without any nicks, cuts or irritation. It is not the only razor I use, nor the only one that delivers a 2 pass BBS shave, but it is the one I reach for most often. Of course, I should just stop there, but lately I've been tempted by the Blackbird, particularly as I've seen some pop up on the BST. For those who have used both, how would you compare the two?

I find the blackbird as efficient but much smoother. As with anything in this hobby "ymmv" but I sold my first dart, bought another one later then sold that one. I've got 3 blackbirds (2 polished brass and a rhodium plated stainless steel).

I find the blackbird as efficient but much smoother. As with anything in this hobby "ymmv" but I sold my first dart, bought another one later then sold that one. I've got 3 blackbirds (2 polished brass and a rhodium plated stainless steel).
I’m almost in the same boat.

I own two blackbirds. Never sold one.

I’ve owned 3 darts. Still have one for the heck of it, but I never use it. I find it terribly aggressive, and I can’t use it every day.

I own both, but find my Dart to be quite a bit more agressive than the Blackbird. I love the smoothness, yet efficiency of the Blackbird. I don't use the Dart often at all anymore.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It took me a few shaves to tame the dart. But I haven’t touched it in a long while. I’ve been meaning to get it back in the rotation. I recently got the RR GC 85 out because I thought that was too aggressive but now I’m liking it very much. It will be interesting to try the dart again. Alas I can’t compare to the blackbird. It does look very similar though. I need another razor like a 🕳 in the head.

The blackbird was too aggressive for me to use at all. A beautiful piece, but no choice but to sell it.

The Dart is still in my inventory. It is less aggressive for me than the bird, but does sit just above my tolerance level.

After some experimentation, I found that riding the safety bar was the right way for me to bring the aggression down.

It's still got a scraper sound to it, though, so most of my other razor, being smoother, get more use.

I did try the Dart polished version when it came out. Gorgeous, but I had to return it to Shane. It was more aggressive than my machined one. Maybe the polishing gave it More gap.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have both. To me the Blackbird is smoother than the Dart. I wanted the Dart to work for me. I’ve tried many blades and varying technique. I just can’t get a DFS. I can get close enough, but not comfortable enough. The Dart is a heck of a deal. It just doesn’t work for me. I’m a daily shaver. Maybe with 2 or 3 days growth it might be a different story.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't own a Dart, but if you get a Blackbird: Machined might be pretty enough and beware that I found the two plates to be vastly different. The SB is very easygoing, the OC plate requires one much, much more to ride the cap and is way more aggressive. It is also more efficient, the difference seems much larger to me than Blackland's website suggests.

Top Bottom