What's new

Blackbird transformed after changing shaving angle

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Use a shallow angle with the Blackbird. Start with the top of the cap on your skin and lower the handle until the angle is just right.

This is currently mentioned on another thread, but I think it's worth posting separately so that Blackbird owners (like me) are sure to see it.

The polished, stainless steel Blackbird with safety bar was my first premium razor. I bought it almost three years ago. I've always loved its look and feel. And there's no denying that it gave me the closest shaves of any razor. But even after I found the best blade for me in it (Gillette Silver Blue), it felt harsh. I would wait until I had a multi-day growth that needed to be mowed down, and my face would always be smooth afterwards. But I didn't enjoy the way it seemed to scrape across my face.

I had been using a relatively steep angle. But it got even steeper after I found out how to make my other favorite razor, the Charcoal Goods Level 2, work best. That was to put a Kai blade in it and use a very steep angle. It became my favorite razor after that, so my shaving angle with every razor became very steep.

Then I read two posts. @corlay wrote: "The Blackland website instructs to use a shallow (ride the cap) angle with this razor. Using it “steep” is a common advise in this Forum. I tend to use it about neutral or perhaps slighly shallow. This razor gives good audible feedback - so you know when you are “cutting” (vs “scraping”) efficiently."

And @Blackland Razors wrote about the Blackbird: "we always advise a shallow angle (top cap on the skin) rather than steep...Often, when people experience “drag” it’s because they’re using a steeper angle and allowing the angled safety bar to scrape off the lather before it gets to the blade...Shallow is the easiest place to start with the Blackbird. Once you adapt, then you can play with angle more."

I had been forcing my technique on the Blackbird, and the result was that the sharply-angled edge of the safety bar was simply dragging across my skin before the blade could get to it. Following the natural angle formed by the side of the cap this morning, I got all the closeness and none of the previous harshness. It was like getting a brand new razor! 🙂

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Use a shallow angle with the Blackbird. Start with the top of the cap on your skin and lower the handle until the angle is just right.

This is currently mentioned on another thread, but I think it's worth posting separately so that Blackbird owners (like me) are sure to see it.

The polished, stainless steel Blackbird with safety bar was my first premium razor. I bought it almost three years ago. I've always loved its look and feel. And there's no denying that it gave me the closest shaves of any razor. But even after I found the best blade for me in it (Gillette Silver Blue), it felt harsh. I would wait until I had a multi-day growth that needed to be mowed down, and my face would always be smooth afterwards. But I didn't enjoy the way it seemed to scrape across my face.

I had been using a relatively steep angle. But it got even steeper after I found out how to make my other favorite razor, the Charcoal Goods Level 2, work best. That was to put a Kai blade in it and use a very steep angle. It became my favorite razor after that, so my shaving angle with every razor became very steep.

Then I read two posts. @corlay wrote: "The Blackland website instructs to use a shallow (ride the cap) angle with this razor. Using it “steep” is a common advise in this Forum. I tend to use it about neutral or perhaps slighly shallow. This razor gives good audible feedback - so you know when you are “cutting” (vs “scraping”) efficiently."

And @Blackland Razors wrote about the Blackbird: "we always advise a shallow angle (top cap on the skin) rather than steep...Often, when people experience “drag” it’s because they’re using a steeper angle and allowing the angled safety bar to scrape off the lather before it gets to the blade...Shallow is the easiest place to start with the Blackbird. Once you adapt, then you can play with angle more."

I had been forcing my technique on the Blackbird, and the result was that the sharply-angled edge of the safety bar was simply dragging across my skin before the blade could get to it. Following the natural angle formed by the side of the cap this morning, I got all the closeness and none of the previous harshness. It was like getting a brand new razor! 🙂
Could you please attach some picture of that angle or may be describe it more? Thanks

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
What you have written is describe the process of shaving with ANY and every razor.
It amazes me that this is seen as esoteric knowledge.
For me (and millions, I suspect) it's purely intuitive.
For some reason, I do the opposite... not because I read that it was the "correct way to start shaving"... it just seemed natural to me.. so I start with the handle parallel to my face and lift until the blade engages. I guess that means I am more likely to end up shaving "steep" as opposed to shallow... but for me, with my limited experience, the razors I've used so far kind of communicate to me what angle works best for them... the blade feedback and feel. I don't try to shave "steep".... I don't or didn't pay much attention to where I end up. I wasn't even aware there was a term for it until I started reading about shave angles on B&B. So I take notice now.

From what Shane is saying... his Blackbird prefers a more shallow angle.

For some reason, I do the opposite... not because I read that it was the "correct way to start shaving"... it just seemed natural to me.. so I start with the handle parallel to my face and lift until the blade engages. I guess that means I am more likely to end up shaving "steep" as opposed to shallow... but for me, with my limited experience, the razors I've used so far kind of communicate to me what angle works best for them... the blade feedback and feel. I don't try to shave "steep".... I don't or didn't pay much attention to where I end up. I wasn't even aware there was a term for it until I started reading about shave angles on B&B. So I take notice now.

From what Shane is saying... his Blackbird prefers a more shallow angle.

Im not really reacting to "what Shane is saying"....I don't really care....Im reacting to what the OP said
about how a particular shaving action opened up a new vista in his perception
of a razor....Im saying that the particular stroke action the OP described is what ALL shavers go through
(barring you, of course)...it's nothing unique or special as moves go.

As to how and why you do the opposite...I think that's great. You should continue with whatever works for you.

I trust my process as what comes to me naturally... and you should trust yours.

Riding the cap actually works with some razors I found to be rough especially shaving against the grain, such as ATT Windsor SSRH/SSH1 and Timeless .95.

There is no necessity to force yourself to adopt to a different technique. My suggestion is to try something with smaller blade gap or better blade support. Or maybe something slanted:devil:?

Im not really reacting to "what Shane is saying"....I don't really care....Im reacting to what the OP said
of a razor....Im saying that the particular stroke action the OP described is what ALL shavers go through

As to how and why you do the opposite...I think that's great. You should continue with whatever works for you.

With respect, I think you’re missing the point. The way a razor shaves and feels can change a lot depending on the angle you use. Some razors work best with a shallow angle, some better steep, some in-between. Some work well both ways but will perform differently. It is something you can change and experiment with, to get possibly better results from a given razor. It’s not just a case of ensuring the blade is on your face.

The Blackbird feels like a completely different razor shaving shallow versus steep, and you will see wildly conflicting descriptions of how the Blackbird shaves here, because people are using different angles - often not aware that a shallow angle will make it shave much smoother.

So I think the point is you either adapt to the style that works best for a particular razor, or you choose razors that suit your prefered style. Either way, it’s important to understand that the angle you use has an effect, and sometimes a big effect.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I wasn't suggesting the way I'm doing it is "correct" or "right".... I think, no matter which way you start, each razor will perform the best at a range of angles... and from what I've read, some razors have a pretty narrow range.

I not expecting anyone to change how they approach things, certainly not because a relative novice like me uses this or that method. It was more of an anecdotal post.... an exchange of ideas and/or experiences.

Those with skin that has been toughened by the Florida, Texas, or Southern California sun or the winds of Wyoming and Montana, for example, might be able to use a steel shaving angle. For those who skin is tender and sensitive, shaving "off the cap" or at a neutral angle makes a lot more sense, especially with more aggressive razors. The steeper the blade angle, the more skin cells you will scrape off with every stroke.

Start with the top of the cap on your skin and lower the handle until the angle is just right.

With respect, I think you’re missing the point. The way a razor shaves and feels can change a lot depending on the angle you use. Some razors work best with a shallow angle, some better steep, some in-between. Some work well both ways but will perform differently. It is something you can change and experiment with, to get possibly better results from a given razor. It’s not just a case of ensuring the blade is on your face.

The Blackbird feels like a completely different razor shaving shallow versus steep, and you will see wildly conflicting descriptions of how the Blackbird shaves here, because people are using different angles - often not aware that a shallow angle will make it shave much smoother.

So I think the point is you either adapt to the style that works best for a particular razor, or you choose razors that suit your prefered style. Either way, it’s important to understand that the angle you use has an effect, and sometimes a big effect.

I don't understand the meaning of this long sermon, Shavington.
This is common and basic shaving knowledge. Without this grounding,
no one should pick up a DE razor.

I'm not questioning the blackbird or what angles work best.
Im not taking positions: shallow better than steep, or vice versa.

Im just saying that the instruction quoted above applies to ALL razors.
That's how 99% of the world shaves. Let us not pretend that this is a
special move that will suddenly unlock the allure of a particular razor,
this is how everyone shaves with every razor....at least I do.

Last edited:
Could you please attach some picture of that angle or may be describe it more? Thanks
Hi Felix, here is the angle that works for me.
BlackBird shaving angle.jpg

It's roughly the same angle as the side of the cap.

What you have written is describe the process of shaving with ANY and every razor.
It amazes me that this is seen as esoteric knowledge.
For me (and millions, I suspect) it's purely intuitive.
Totally agree. But it's something that's easy to forget, at least it was for me. Between work, family, and my other interests and hobbies, I forgot this basic principle. And, because a steep angle works so well for my Charcoal Goods razor, it didn't occur to me until I read another BlackBird thread that I was failing follow this process. I posted this thread in case others with the BlackBird had were similarly going too steep without trying to find its natural angle.

Yup!

Top Bottom