What's new

Blackbird TI Open Comb?

Has the blackbird titanium ever had a run with an open comb option? Their site only has SB option for titanium, but open comb would be my preference.

No. For the titanium version there is only solid bar and the shorter handle.

But while I normally prefer open comb razors, for my Blackbirds I find I much prefer the solid bar plates. Open comb is a little harsh on this razor and the solid bar still gives loads of blade feel and some welcome smoothness on the face.

I used to only buy open comb razors but I have owned both the OC and SB Blackbird. I would 100% agree with stinkykid on this. For the blackbird the best is the Ti SB.

Yea you’ll are probably right with the Blackbirds reputation. I guess it’s just me aesthetically being partial to open combs that pushes me in that direction, but aesthetic’s won’t matter if shave isn’t enjoyable.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
No reason you can’t just use the SS OC plate with the Ti handle and cap — a bit head heavy but a sublime shaver.

image.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
That’s a very logical solution that I didn’t even think of. Is there much of a noticeable difference appearance wise between say their polished titanium and polished steel?
The polished stainless is a bit shinier than the polished titanium, but they look fantastic together.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've tried the Stainless OC plate with the Ti Cap and Ti handle. Works together quite well. :)

Though I still prefer the Ti SB plate. ;) :001_wub:

I used to only buy open comb razors but I have owned both the OC and SB Blackbird. I would 100% agree with stinkykid on this. For the blackbird the best is the Ti SB.
I got a Blackbird OC last week and I'm somewhat relieved to hear this. I am really not a fan of the Blackbird - it is incredibly efficient, and the high blade exposure/small blade gap makes nicking yourself pretty much impossible. But the shave itself is really not at all smooth. I couldn't figure out what all the hype was about, until I realize the SB Ti is probably a completely different shaver. I think the reason is that the Blackbird likes a steeper angle, which typically isn't ideal with OC razors.

Compared to my Razorock Wunderbar, which is equally efficient, it is not nearly as smooth or enjoyable to shave with (although admittedly, the high blade gap of the Wunderbar does make nicks much easier, even though the shave is much smoother)

Top Bottom