What's new

Blackbird Razor Open Comb

I have both the open comb and closed comb. As near as I can tell, the dimensions are identical; same blade exposure, gap, angle, etc.

So it will come down to personal preference. For me, I prefer the OC; I like the way it looks (really awesome), and I like that it doesn't scrape away all the lather before the blade does the work. Note that latter statement only applies if you rest the OC or SB against your face. This razor, for me, seems to shave best with the guard just a tick above the skin.

Keep in mind, I'm new to this razor in that I have only been shaving with it for about 4 weeks. I'm still dialing in my technique. Those are my impressions so far.

I'm also relatively new to OC razors. This is my second OC razor (First being a Merkur Classic). I've heard that with OC razors in general, the proper technique is to rest the guard against the skin, and tip the razor back until the blade starts cutting. This worked great with the Merkur.

With the Blackbird OC, the combs are "pointed" and feel sharp against the skin, so this technique doesn't work for me. I rest the head against my face and tip the razor forward until the blade starts cutting, just like with a SB razor. Considering both base plates seem to have identical dimensions, this technique makes sense to me. I have noticed that the "sharpness" from the combs is a non-issue when the razor is used at the proper angle, even with the combs touching the skin.

I hope that information makes sense... I have a head cold at the moment, and I could have just typed a racy adult novel instead of a Blackbird OC review. :)

Actually, I think ALL safety razors work better with the guard above the skin, but that's just me. I wouldn't think the Blackbird would be any different.

I have noted that many of the vintage razors I have show plating wear on the cap or doors on TTOs, a hint that they spent quite a bit of time riding on skin.

Peter

Actually, I think ALL safety razors work better with the guard above the skin, but that's just me. I wouldn't think the Blackbird would be any different.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

I was wondering about that. I will adjust my technique a bit and give this a try with other razors too.

Update ...

After about 6 weeks of trying various techniques, I finally figured out how to shave with this razor. (Blackbird OC)

While I was getting good shaves, I wasn't getting consistent shaves, and occasional razor burn. Also, I was experiencing "Drag" which is sometimes associated with the black oxide Blackbirds. The techniques discussed above of using a shallower angle, and not allowing the bar to touch the skin, just wasn't working for me, and my confidence was low.

It turns out I wasn't using a steep enough angle ... and by steep, I mean with the razor at less than 45 degrees to my face. Probably around 30 degrees or so seems to work well.

I figured out to try a steeper angle when I placed the razor on a flat surface as though I were shaving it, and looked at the angle relative to that surface.

So, after 3 or 4 really great, comfortable shaves using the steeper angle, I'm confident that this razor is now in my top 3 favorites, probably top 2 at this point.

Bonus: because I was so intent on figuring out my technique with this razor, I also figured out how to shave a spot on my lower neck where the hair goes all swirly without cutting myself. :)

Bonus 2: Learning to shave with new razors makes me better at shaving.

I'd like to bump this thread, I'm also curious. I already have the SB (love it) and debating if I should get the OC plate as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I got the original Blackbird during the crowd funding campaign. I do love it. I cant use it every day. But I break it out once in a while, then use it for a couple of shaves. I have been using it this week in fact. It gives me a super BBS result, but it is not very easy on my skin. So I cant use it all the time or else I get irritated. As soon as the OC base plate was announced, I preordered it. So Ive had it since it first came out. I think it looks cool. I have the black coated long handle version. If Darth Vader was going to use a razor, the OC Blackbird would be it. But the shave with the OC is quite a bit harsh on my skin. More so than the solid bar. Ive put the SB plate back in, and will shelve the OC plate for a while and revisit it again down the road. But ymmv. If you already have the Blackbird, I think its worth getting the OC plate. I dont regret getting it, and will try it again at some point.

If Darth Vader was going to use a razor, the OC Blackbird would be it.

Without any doubt, the Blackbird OC in black oxide is the go-to razor for Sith Lords. It is now my preferred razor, as well.

I switch back and forth between the SB and OC plates. The OC works awesome if I don't shave for a few days. For daily driving, the SB is just fine.

As near as I can tell, the specs of both plates are identical. The OC plate feels more aggressive on my face, but I don't think it really is. The SB plate is definitely a smoother shave. Neither plate causes any irritation for me.

Do I prefer shaving with one plate over the other? Depends on my mood, really. The OC plate looks really cool, and I have a greater sense of accomplishment shaving with it. But I also need to pay more attention and be a lot more deliberate.

Oh, I use Feather blades almost exclusively in this razor. I just received PolSilver blades and will be trying them soon.

Thanks for the answer gents, I appreciate it. The BlackBird is probably the best razor I've tried, I'm probably getting the plate just to complete the line up.

This thread needs a picture

proxy.php

Opening an old thread.

I read that the Black oxide would fade over time at places where it is used most. Would any Blackbird owners be able to share their experiences ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I read that the Black oxide would fade over time at places where it is used most. Would any Blackbird owners be able to share their experiences ?

I've been using my black oxide BB for over a year. It does fade a bit with use just as you say. The top cap seems to be fading the most, with the baseplate (OC) close behind. In my case, the handle not so much. I don't know if it matters or not, but I have VERY hard water, so that may be accelerating the effect.

But maybe "fade" is the wrong word. I consider this a "patina" and quite like the way it looks. The excellent shave quality is the same now as it was when it was new.

I've been using my black oxide BB for over a year. It does fade a bit with use just as you say. The top cap seems to be fading the most, with the baseplate (OC) close behind. In my case, the handle not so much. I don't know if it matters or not, but I have VERY hard water, so that may be accelerating the effect.

But maybe "fade" is the wrong word. I consider this a "patina" and quite like the way it looks. The excellent shave quality is the same now as it was when it was new.
Thank you. Would it be convenient for you to post photos of the razor patina ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I’ve had my blackbird in black oxide fore over a year now , I do have a water softener, and the dark black has lightened slightly on the edge of the top plate. I like the change, sort of like Darth Vader after his battle with Luke.

Top Bottom