What's new

Blackbird Razor - First Shave Impressions

This morning was my second shave with my Blackbird, and it did not disappoint. I did my two passes and struggled to find anyplace that needed touching up. As someone else pointed out, it provides the efficiency of an R41 with the comfort of an EJ89.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This morning was my second shave with my Blackbird, and it did not disappoint. I did my two passes and struggled to find anyplace that needed touching up. As someone else pointed out, it provides the efficiency of an R41 with the comfort of an EJ89.
My TiBird only needs two passes to get the job done. I could even stop after the first pass and get a really close shave.

Today I thought I would try a comparison shave with my Blackbird and Karve CB. I did two passes on the right side with the Karve and two passes on the left with the Blackbird. The most obvious and noticeable difference is the weight of the Karve vs the Blackbird; it's about 18% heavier and you notice that difference in agility right away. That said, there is something comforting about the solidity of the Karve, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable razor to use. In terms of blade feel and smoothness, I didn't feel much difference between the two. Maybe the Blackbird is a bit smoother, but any difference could just as easily be attributed to the fact that as a righty I find I shave my right side more easily and effectively. So too for the results an hour or two after the shave. Maybe the right side is smoother, but maybe not. If it is, I'm sure (from past razor side-by-side comparisons) that it's due to my right handedness, not the razors.

So, bottom line, I would say that these razors are both excellent at providing a very efficient shave with great smoothness. If you like brass, and the extra weight that comes with it, the Karve CB with the safety bar G plate is truly a bargain. The Blackbird in stainless, on the other hand, is my choice if I had to pick only one due to its greater agility. Also, all things considered, I would choose a stainless steel razor over brass due to the ease of maintenance. I don't like patina, so the Karve requires periodic polishing, unlilke a stainless steel razor. I haven't tried a side by side with the Dart, but I've had that razor for a while and can confidently say that it will match these two for efficiency but not smoothness.

@Steve_in_CT Sweet! If you think the Blackbird stainless is nimble, make sure you don’t try the Blackbird Titanium!
One day I probably will! For many years I believed that it was folly to spend as much as $100 on a razor. I used many different razors, finding many that were more than adequate, but none that I felt was just right. I finally moved up to the $100 razors and found several that were clearly better than what I had previously used. The first of those were the Dart and the Rocca. I subsequently added the Karve Christopher Bradley and thought that I would stop there. After all, how much better could a $200 razor be? And now that I have the Stainless Steel Blackbird, I have my answer. Is it twice as good as the Dart, Rocca or Karve? Probably not. But at this point in my life, I can afford it and I might as well enjoy it. So will I now go out and spend $300 for a titanium Blackbird? No, or at least not until the novelty of using the Stainless Steel Blackbird wears off (and it might be the Vecor and not the Blackbird in titanium).

Today I thought I would try a comparison shave with my Blackbird and Karve CB. I did two passes on the right side with the Karve and two passes on the left with the Blackbird. The most obvious and noticeable difference is the weight of the Karve vs the Blackbird; it's about 18% heavier and you notice that difference in agility right away. That said, there is something comforting about the solidity of the Karve, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable razor to use. In terms of blade feel and smoothness, I didn't feel much difference between the two. Maybe the Blackbird is a bit smoother, but any difference could just as easily be attributed to the fact that as a righty I find I shave my right side more easily and effectively. So too for the results an hour or two after the shave. Maybe the right side is smoother, but maybe not. If it is, I'm sure (from past razor side-by-side comparisons) that it's due to my right handedness, not the razors.

So, bottom line, I would say that these razors are both excellent at providing a very efficient shave with great smoothness. If you like brass, and the extra weight that comes with it, the Karve CB with the safety bar G plate is truly a bargain. The Blackbird in stainless, on the other hand, is my choice if I had to pick only one due to its greater agility. Also, all things considered, I would choose a stainless steel razor over brass due to the ease of maintenance. I don't like patina, so the Karve requires periodic polishing, unlilke a stainless steel razor. I haven't tried a side by side with the Dart, but I've had that razor for a while and can confidently say that it will match these two for efficiency but not smoothness.
Thanks for posting this!
I'd like to get a Karve aluminum just to add another aluminum to my growing collection. I have a Lupo aluminum and use it as my travel razor and like it. I just bought an Above the Tie Windsor SS with the .80 SSRH plate and it's got fantastic efficiency and good blade feel. The Blackbird was a runner up but I ended up liking the Windsor more. So I'd like to get the Karve aluminum with efficiency/blade feel to match the Windsor. But I'm confused on which one to get. They have a bunch!

Top Bottom