What's new

Blackbird Quality Control

Well…for transparency in case some may be curious to what I meant by incomplete satin finish that triggered the first exchange (this copy didn’t have the horizontal grove on the safety bar, visibly). Again, this is subjective depends on what expectations one has for a $200+ razor. This, is what Shane had already explained about going light on the finish. You can judge it yourself, but Shane had confirmed this is “standard”. Everybody is different. You can call me being a picky person. But I’m not gonna look at that unfinished spot and tell myself “it’s okay and to be expected for spending justtt $200+ for a piece of metal.” Now, the horizontal grove is another problem on a different backplate. If I have to pick between two imperfections, I think I’d go with the grove to avoid any part on my razor being naked (missing satin finish).

Anyhow, like it or not you have the choice. Blackland has a very good 30-day satisfaction guarantee in case anybody is not aware. So, there’s nothing to lose as a customer. My intention of posting this thread is not to berate Blackland’s product. As I have said, I love the performance of this Ti Bird and also own the Ti Vector. I just want to see if this issue only occurs in the Ti Satin models or if it only occurs in the Black Friday batch 😁.

Attachments

• EA0C8D16-68F9-4CD3-87DD-9246EBC916C8.jpeg
    EA0C8D16-68F9-4CD3-87DD-9246EBC916C8.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Well…call me a fan of Blackland. I have a titanium satin Blackbird, and I have no problem with its finish. We get too hung up on finishes sometimes, IMO. These are tools ultimately—not jewelry.

Is it flawless? No. But to the naked eye, it looks fine to me.

Well….like I said, it’s subjective based on one’s perception of perfection, eyesight, and even wealth. A rich man’s $200 is a grain of sand in the desert while it means a lot to a poor man like me :) , which could be the reason that drove higher expectation from me.

I’ll weigh just to say I’m a happy Blackland (vector) owner.

Same here…The titanium vector has been flawless. It’ll be the one I’d take with me in an apocalypse.

So, today I’ve decided to send the titanium Blackbird back. I thought I could get over with the spots/groves. It turns out I’m more picky than I thought I am. Fortunately, Blackland support was very helpful in assisting me with the return - no questions asked. Hopefully Blackland will offer polished finish again in the future then may be I will consider giving it a try again.

Anyhow, my case is rested. I wasn’t happy with the product, cosmetically, and Blackland has no problem honoring their 30-days satisfaction guarantee. But what to take from this experience?

1.) Incomplete satin finish at the edges IS normal. Replacement does NOT guarantee the issue will be fixed (in my case the second copy had much better finish at the edges). If it bothers you, then you’re not treating it as a tool. 😊

2.) Horizontal grove on the safety bar IS normal. If you can see it, then you’re not looking at the razor at the right lighting conditions or angles 😉

If you consider a satin titanium Blackbird, please keep those facts in mind. I hope my thread/posting is not deleted so the information is available to those having similar concerns/questions so Blackland does not have to process unnecessary returns & exchanges, like in my case for instance.

2F4793C2-23CF-435C-B478-D2A847883BF5.jpeg

Last edited:
$320 razor that is not perfect in every way? Totally unacceptable. My $5 and $10 vintage Gillettes are flawless. My Schicks are perfect. My Lords are perfect. My Yuma is rough but it’s supposed to be.
Take a pass on Blackland.
From what I have read from the reviews, they shave absolutely perfectly. I get that they may have milling marks, but that just adds character.

Same here…The titanium vector has been flawless. It’ll be the one I’d take with me in an apocalypse.

So, today I’ve decided to send the titanium Blackbird back. I thought I could get over with the spots/groves. It turns out I’m more picky than I thought I am. Fortunately, Blackland support was very helpful in assisting me with the return - no questions asked. Hopefully Blackland will offer polished finish again in the future then may be I will consider giving it a try again.

Anyhow, my case is rested. I wasn’t happy with the product, cosmetically, and Blackland has no problem honoring their 30-days satisfaction guarantee. But what to take from this experience?

1.) Incomplete satin finish at the edges IS normal. Replacement does NOT guarantee the issue will be fixed (in my case the second copy had much better finish at the edges). If it bothers you, then you’re not treating it as a tool. 😊

2.) Horizontal grove on the safety bar IS normal. If you can see it, then you’re not looking at the razor at the right lighting conditions or angles 😉

If you consider a satin titanium Blackbird, please keep those facts in mind. I hope my thread/posting is not deleted so the information is available to those having similar concerns/questions so Blackland does not have to process unnecessary returns & exchanges, like in my case for instance.

View attachment 1567791
I think you made the right decision. The quality of finish on a razor does matter and it is one of the selling points - particularly for premium priced razors. If you weren’t happy with it and you can return it you should.

From what I have read from the reviews, they shave absolutely perfectly. I get that they may have milling marks, but that just adds character.

There are milling marks on the top cap, and I agree with you - they’re unique. I like them, hence I never once complained about the top cap. But the horizontal line/grove on the safety bar….it’s different. I would be ashamed to call it intentionally designed or unique “character”.
So far I’ve received a lot of indirect references that my standard is so high, I’m being picky, etc. But I have yet to see ONE person shares his Ti Bird with similar problems and proudly say “mine has it too, it looks normal to me”. Not to prove anything, just curious how many “normal” cases like this out there….

There are milling marks on the top cap, and I agree with you - they’re unique. I like them, hence I never once complained about the top cap. But the horizontal line/grove on the safety bar….it’s different. I would be ashamed to call it intentionally designed or unique “character”.
So far I’ve received a lot of indirect references that my standard is so high, I’m being picky, etc. But I have yet to see ONE person shares his Ti Bird with similar problems and proudly say “mine has it too, it looks normal to me”. Not to prove anything, just curious how many “normal” cases like this out there….
I don't believe that you are being picky. It is a significant investment so you should be fully satisfied. There is nothing wrong with sending it back and waiting for the perfect razor for you.

Finishing / polishing seems to be the hardest and one of the most costly elements of razor manufacturing. Any razor maker that has access to a supplier who excels at it, at a reasonable cost, has a big advantage.

I look at the quality of the polishing on my Alpha Executive Shaving Claymore Evo, for example, and am amazed they could sell it for £115 (when I bought mine a year ago) and only £15 more than the matte finish. It is a high polish, no rounded edges or corners, no micro-scratches, no dull areas or machine marks when you look closely - pretty much perfect.

On the other hand I could name a bunch of promising razors that failed purely because of finishing issues, even in some cases rendering the razors unusable scrap metal.

And then, how ironic is it that my cheap Merkur Progress is more shiny than even my most expensive Wolfman, because it is chrome plated? Why don’t more manufacturers consider that?

None of this is pointed at Blackland, one way or the other. Just really a general comment on how important but supplier-dependent razor finishing seems to be. I really feel for any razor producer that ever has their good work diminished by finishing issues - serious or cosmetic, common or rare - or they lose a trusted supplier, or face large cost increases. It feels unfair but it’s part of the business that somehow needs to be managed continuously and consistently over the years, regardless of production volumes. I think sometimes we razor buyers take finishing for granted and don’t realise how hard and expensive it is.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree with @Mr. Shavington

Have a look at this, you know what this is? This is a Merkur 37C slant razor. The worth of this razor, is somewhere around 50+ US dollars. This razor is NOT made out of high end titanium whatsoever. If I remember correctly, its chrome plated brass. And have a look at that razor shine, it shines so much you could see yourself in it! Clearly Merkur knows how to do their polished finishing.

IMG_4253.JPG

FYI, for a razor that is not super high end like Timeless, Blackland, or Tatara, this Merkur 37C slant razor, shaves so smoothly, it would blow your mind how good it is. I went into testing this razor not expecting to like my first slant razor. I ended up loving it, and gave this razor 5 out of 5 stars. So that says a lot.

I also agree with previous statements, were not here to berate Shane at Blackland razors! Nobody can argue that Blackland doesn't make a quality razor, clearly they do, and people love them for how smooth they shave. Having said that however, when your spending 300+ dollars on a razor, you do expect the finish to be perfect, and when its not, it can be upsetting.

At the end of the day, we live in a free country, which has provided us the opportunity of choice. Thats right, we have the choice to choose which razor were going to buy, and from whom. The market is saturated with plenty of razors for us to choose from. Whats the old saying again, there's plenty fish in the sea kid?

OK good, let me open this can of chicken of the sea for my cat, cause he's whining at me. 😝

I don’t think it’s fair to compare a mass produced razor, cast from pot metal and plated with chrome, to one that is milled from solid steel or titanium and finished by hand in small batches. They are different products that offer different experiences at very different price points, although the end result is ultimately not much different.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare a mass produced razor, cast from pot metal and plated with chrome, to one that is milled from solid steel or titanium and finished by hand in small batches. They are different products that offer different experiences at very different price points, although the end result is ultimately not much different.
Yeah, but we’re paying a lot for that hand finishing. Why not avoid all the expensive, skilled labour and plate it? Get the same razor for $100 less and have it look beautiful. It’s like we are paying a big premium just for the intangible idea that some guy spent a day polishing it, when it doesn’t work or look any better. Actually a less than great polishing job will ruin the razor. Doesn’t have to be made of zamak. Gillette did plated brass razors forever.

Just a thought, anyway. Hand polishing has become an expectation and I don’t know why it would matter so much to us. You could say the plating will wear off eventually, but by then a mirror polished finish will be all scratched up as well.

Last edited:

Have a look at this, you know what this is? This is a Merkur 37C slant razor. The worth of this razor, is somewhere around 50+ US dollars. This razor is NOT made out of high end titanium whatsoever. If I remember correctly, its chrome plated brass. And have a look at that razor shine, it shines so much you could see yourself in it! Clearly Merkur knows how to do their polished finishing.

View attachment 1568152

FYI, for a razor that is not super high end like Timeless, Blackland, or Tatara, this Merkur 37C slant razor, shaves so smoothly, it would blow your mind how good it is. I went into testing this razor not expecting to like my first slant razor. I ended up loving it, and gave this razor 5 out of 5 stars. So that says a lot.

I also agree with previous statements, were not here to berate Shane at Blackland razors! Nobody can argue that Blackland doesn't make a quality razor, clearly they do, and people love them for how smooth they shave. Having said that however, when your spending 300+ dollars on a razor, you do expect the finish to be perfect, and when its not, it can be upsetting.

At the end of the day, we live in a free country, which has provided us the opportunity of choice. Thats right, we have the choice to choose which razor were going to buy, and from whom. The market is saturated with plenty of razors for us to choose from. Whats the old saying again, there's plenty fish in the sea kid?

OK good, let me open this can of chicken of the sea for my cat, cause he's whining at me. 😝
Very nice looking razor SWCT!! 😊👍💈

View attachment 1568152

That razor is actually made of chrome plated zamac and not brass, FYI.

Yeah, but we’re paying a lot for that hand finishing. Why not avoid all the expensive, skilled labour and plate it? Get the same razor for $100 less and have it look beautiful. It’s like we are paying a big premium just for the intangible idea that some guy spent a day polishing it, when it doesn’t work or look any better. Actually a less than great polishing job will ruin the razor. Doesn’t have to be made of zamak. Gillette did plated brass razors forever.

Just a thought, anyway. Hand polishing has become an expectation and I don’t know why it would matter so much to us. You could say the plating will wear off eventually, but by then a mirror polished finish will be all scratched up as well.
I can see where you are coming from. I can’t think of any current razor makers that offer a plated stainless option. I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe it doesn’t make sense to cover up such a durable material. A polished finish can be brought back to life if someone is a bit handy and patient. There was a post recently that a member showed a heavily scuffed RR lupo that he made better then new. A plated razor would have to be sent out to be refinished.
Personally I don’t have any polished razors in my very small collection aside from a chrome plated 34C, but I would like to. Blackland does their polishing in house, and all those razors are beautifully finished by all accounts. They run about $50 more then the machined versions, which is reasonable in my opinion.

Top Bottom