What's new

Blackbird Lite vs Karve Overlander

I was sold on the Overlander brass from the first time I used it. I picked up the stainless steel version when it came out, which is almost as good. But, I do prefer the feel of the brass.

I tried the BB Lite for the first time about a week ago. I really liked it. It is an excellent razor that I plan to use regularly. That said, Overlander will remain in the top spot in my den. The sharper corners and guard edge on the BB Lite that I believe are to maintain the attractive appearance require extra attention I don’t deal with on the Overlander.

These are both fantastic razors in my book. Get both and enjoy!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do not get why people want to “feel” the “blade”.

Personally think reflection is just passing blade over bead, saturated in soap, rubbing area post shave, and feeling no beard or stubbles.

Find it interesting at party A, and B make comparison on a razor.

As one person could have sensitive skin, tough swirly beard, and other person beard skin condition could be total opposite.

Not even taking into consideration shave cream, soap, and blade used.

Think it like asking two people favorite BAGLE dhop in NYC. Most Bagels are great in Big Apple.
That’s why, to me, it’s important to find people here who share your likes as well as dislikes. I’ve been able to do that for the 3 basics: brushes, razors and soaps.

As I’ve mentioned, I just copied others for a select few DE blades and so far, all of them work, again, for me. There are only a handful of AC blades available, so sorting that out was relatively easy.

That’s why, to me, it’s important to find people here who share your likes as well as dislikes. I’ve been able to do that for the 3 basics: brushes, razors and soaps.

As I’ve mentioned, I just copied others for a select few DE blades and so far, all of them work, again, for me. There are only a handful of AC blades available, so sorting that out was relatively easy.

Sort of like exterminating based upon info, and people’s experence.

Nice thing about the Blackbirds, they do have 30 day return policy.

Nice for the company to offer, they must have confidence in product.

Think Timeless also has same policy.

I'm very interested in the Overlander in SS. I am leaning towards milder razors and this one has me fixated on it. It will likely be my next purchase. How do you like it compared to the AL?
It wouldn’t be a completely fair comparison because I exclusively use the SS at home, with Ethos Soaps and creams. On the road is when I use the Al with a non-tallow Ethos stick and different blades.

I like the nimbleness of the Al, but I know the SS would last forever.

I also like the CB handle over the Overlander handle.

In general, anything but Brass or Copper for me. I don’t like the upkeep.

I did buy my brother a Brass that was 24kt plated by black roads gold. It is beautiful, he says it’s a bit mild but he keeps using it.

Big picture - I can’t go more than 36 hours without shaving with either Overlander. BB Lite I can go 48 hours.

This with moderately coarse Italian descent hair, my beard doesn’t grow fast but it’s coarse enough that I can’t shave with a Henson Mild and be happy.

The Overlander is more efficient than a Henson Medium.

As far as the comments on blade feel, I like enough to know the razor is working and where I am shaving. Neutral to negative and I can cut my lip when finding the starting point. Too much is menacing.

There is a lot here, but it’s my opinion of the two.

I was curious about these two fellas. Finally I acquired both and compared.

Effectiveness and blade feel;

Blackbird Lite is much milder compared to its predecessor BB Standard. Using the same angle but way too much milder, I can say that the lite version no longer reflects the "efficient soul" of Blackbird.
On a daily shave at least two passes and some minor touch up is a must for me.
On the first pass it removes only 60%-65% of hairs.
Very light blade feel. Blade feels wise like a Karve CB "B"-"C" plate. Effectiveness wise Karve CB "B" plate.

Overlander is a well balanced daily driver. Two passes is more than enough for a decent BBS on a daily shave. On the first pass it removes 80%-85% of the hairs. So on the second pass you are not struggling too much.
Very light blade feel. Blade feels wise like Karve CB "C" plate, effectiveness wise like Karve CB "D" plate.

Looking

Blackbird Lite has the same handsome look of Blackbird Standard. You can pick either machined or polished finish.
Even a machined version has its own shine.

My Overlander has 3.25'' handled SS version. Overlander SS has a mat finish which looks like utilitarian tool. Handle shape is very good. But I may prefer a polished version if it is offered.

Verdict;

If I have to keep one I may keep BB Lite subject to trade lover plate with a decent Standard plate
or
without bothering myself with sell-trade issues I'll pick Overlander SS with 3.25'' handle and leave happily ever after

I'm with you. I don't like brass or copper for that reason. I hate patina. I would be cleaning and polishing more than shaving with those.
+1

I hate patina as well. I bought Karve CB SS in order to "upgrade" my brass Karve CB and get rid of patina.

This is not Sparta... This is PATINAAAA:a52:
1682855337180.jpeg

Yes for me its like "Do I want the patina or not" with the Brass Overlander? Not sure yet. @Timor1322 what are you using to take the patina off?
@purecro I apply metal polish with a make-up remover pads (that I stole from my wife closet)🤫
Do not apply pressure to avoid scratches.

Do not try ear cleaning sticks it is a bit harsh and cause micro scratches.

Top Bottom