What's new

Blackbird Handle Options

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking at various offering on eBay, etsy, etc. just this afternoon, but hadn't gotten to Tibam (although I would have).

Thanks for the pointer.

Then there's the problem of picking just the right design and length.

Fortunately, I'm not in a rush. There are a few of his offerings I don't like (particularly the popular New York), and, if I buy one I want it to look just right with the Blackbird.

View attachment 1294759

I'd want a matching or compatible stand, too. Since I kinda like the look of the RR HALO, I might like the look of this model, which is called Radiator. It might be too busy?

I'm thinking 80 mm or 85 mm. Probably 80.

Again, I'm just tossing this around. There are other vendors who will also, from what I've heard, be happy to modify length and such, and at least one who does flat out custom work (but not inexpensively). There are several Tibam handles I like and his prices are significantly lower than some of the other guys.

Not that anybody giving 'em away. Nor should they.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Radiator is a cool looking handle. I find that it looks and feels good on a wide variety of razors. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have gotten in touch with the folks in Russia who make the handle I'm interested in for my Blackbird, a titanium handle fatter and shorter than Shane offers (not that his handles aren't beautiful you understand).

1626014463624.png

So, I have to supply a measurement for the top of the handle, the part which inserts into the small baseplate hole in the bottom of the Blackbird.

I've measured the hole with my calipers and also measured the Blackbird's top as well as the top of the RazoRock titanium HALO and another of my RR handles which will fit into the Blackbird's insertion point (hole in the baseplate) and tighten snuggly.

According to my measurements the top of the handle (is that what it is actually called, "the top of the handle?") is 8 mm. Maybe it's called the "neck?"

I'd appreciate having someone else do some measurements of their Blackbird and handle(s) to see if I'm reading my calipers right. I certainly don't want to order a custom handle which won't do the trick.

My calipers are not digital and are usually perfect for my uses, but I'm not 100% sure this time.

Shane @Blackland Razors, if you'd like to chime in here I can certainly use your help.

Thanks, gentlemen, for all your help with this project.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have gotten in touch with the folks in Russia who make the handle I'm interested in for my Blackbird, a titanium handle fatter and shorter than Shane offers (not that his handles aren't beautiful you understand).

View attachment 1295101

So, I have to supply a measurement for the top of the handle, the part which inserts into the small baseplate hole in the bottom of the Blackbird.

I've measured the hole with my calipers and also measured the Blackbird's top as well as the top of the RazoRock titanium HALO and another of my RR handles which will fit into the Blackbird's insertion point (hole in the baseplate) and tighten snuggly.

According to my measurements the top of the handle (is that what it is actually called, "the top of the handle?") is 8 mm. Maybe it's called the "neck?"

I'd appreciate having someone else do some measurements of their Blackbird and handle(s) to see if I'm reading my calipers right. I certainly don't want to order a custom handle which won't do the trick.

My calipers are not digital and are usually perfect for my uses, but I'm not 100% sure this time.

Shane @Blackland Razors, if you'd like to chime in here I can certainly use your help.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The batteries are dead in my digital calipers. I'll be out later on and will try to grab some new ones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not yet ordered the custom handle because I'm hoping to have more than just my measurements of the neck to go by before submitting the order.

I'm also still considering which Tibam handle or handles to buy. The radiator is #1 in my view at the moment, but there are other contenders. Maybe I'll buy two with one at 80 mm in length and the second at 85. Maybe two at 80 mm.

I'd thought about a 75 mm handle but then remembered that Blackland tried the 75 mm handle and abandoned it. I'm not sure why, but would guess there was a good reason. On the other hand, perhaps the reason was a lot of gentlemen like longer handles. Maybe few of us dig the short handles? I've used the Karve 3 inch handle and like it fine; vintage handles of that length or shorter, too, I think.

Gotta get the neck measurement right and be sure of it before ordering though, so any help would be appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm hoping somebody will help me with the neck measurement thing (see above) so I can order an aftermarket handle with some degree of certainty that I receive what I need.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping somebody will help me with the neck measurement thing (see above) so I can order an aftermarket handle with some degree of certainty that I receive what I need.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Been super busy this week and will be all weekend. Still trying to get over to the Batteries Plus store and hoping they have the correct battery for my caliper.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1295101

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim - Finally got to the battery store and grabbed the correct battery for my digital caliper. Measured the very end (where the handle fits into the recess in the Blackbird baseplate) of both the Stainless Blackbird and the RR Ti Halo handles. Both handles measure 8mm.

David

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim - Finally got to the battery store and grabbed the correct battery for my digital caliper. Measured the very end (where the handle fits into the recess in the Blackbird baseplate) of both the Stainless Blackbird and the RR Ti Halo handles. Both handles measure 8mm.

David

Thanks, David.

It's good to know my calipers which aren't digital and yours which are gave the exact same reading.

I'm glad your have batteries again. I find all sorts of reasons to measure various shaving related items with my calipers and have a pair at home and another at the office.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, David.

It's good to know my calipers which aren't digital and yours which are gave the exact same reading.

I'm glad your have batteries again. I find all sorts of reasons to measure various shaving related items with my calipers and have a pair at home and another at the office.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Believe me, I picked up a spare. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-1-21.tibamFor.B3.NY.640.Base:Stand..JPG

This is my custom ordered for the Blackbird's baseplate titanium Tibam NY handle, in a shorter than standard length.

The stand is also Tibam NY titanium of course.

Blackbird.OpenComb.Brass.Baseplate.Ti.NY.10-14-21.JPG

Here it's paired with my new brass Blackbird OC baseplate.

I've not used the OC yet, but it looks great. I don't like all mixed metal razors, but I like this one. (Its aesthetics I mean.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1345871

This is my custom ordered for the Blackbird's baseplate titanium Tibam NY handle, in a shorter than standard length.

The stand is also Tibam NY titanium of course.

View attachment 1345870

Here it's paired with my new brass Blackbird OC baseplate.

I've not used the OC yet, but it looks great. I don't like all mixed metal razors, but I like this one. (Its aesthetics I mean.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Be prepared for some blade feel, Jim! I love both plates, but the OC plate ‘feels’ more aggressive.

Your setup looks fantastic!

Top Bottom