What's new

Blackbird Handle Options

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm looking at alternate handle options for my SS Blackland Blackbird.

7-9-21.Blackbird.Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

The handle I have is the long handle. I'd prefer shorter, but the big deal for me is the handle is thinner in girth than I like.

On another forum where a lot of guys shave ATG, there's discussion of using regular (not fitted to the hole in the Blackbird baseplate) handles with the Blackbird, handles such as the Timeless Ti. They say such handles work well enough with the BBB; I could certainly try it (using one of many handles).

What I'm wondering is this: What about trying the other Blackland handles (like the Sabre handle) with the Blackbird?
  • Will they fit the Blackbird handle (and go in the hole)?
  • How fat are the other Blackland handles (if you have one would you post the mm size)? They look fatter, but I don't know for sure.
  • Advice?
  • Opinions?

1625845923776.png

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at alternate handle options for my SS Blackland Blackbird.

View attachment 1294186

The handle I have is the long handle. I'd prefer shorter, but the big deal for me is the handle is thinner in girth than I like.

On another forum where a lot of guys shave ATG, there's discussion of using regular (not fitted to the hole in the Blackbird baseplate) handles with the Blackbird, handles such as the Timeless Ti. They say such handles work well enough with the BBB; I could certainly try it (using one of many handles).

What I'm wondering is this: What about trying the other Blackland handles (like the Sabre handle) with the Blackbird?
  • Will they fit the Blackbird handle (and go in the hole)?
  • How fat are the other Blackland handles (if you have one would you post the mm size)? They look fatter, but I don't know for sure.
  • Advice?
  • Opinions?

View attachment 1294195

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I can try some mix and match to see what fits.

Most handles work with the Blackbird. Just make sure either the top of the handle is wider than where the Blackbird handle inserts or is small enough to fit inside. The only time you can get in trouble is the in-between handles and that's pretty rare. Qualitatively, the vast majority of handles that I've run into, and maybe all, work well. So that's the good news. The bad news is that basically any non-Blackbird handle looks awkward on the Blackbird head. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Most handles work with the Blackbird. Just make sure either the top of the handle is wider than where the Blackbird handle inserts or is small enough to fit inside. The only time you can get in trouble is the in-between handles and that's pretty rare. Qualitatively, the vast majority of handles that I've run into, and maybe all, work well. So that's the good news. The bad news is that basically any non-Blackbird handle looks awkward on the Blackbird head. ;)

The Sabre handle looks pretty good. ;)

20210709_100811~2.jpg
20210709_100753~2.jpg
20210709_100830~2.jpg

Never tried this combination (I like the Blackbird handle just fine ;)), but it does look like it would work. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Thanks so much.

How fat is the Sabre handle? Would it work on the Blackbird? How would it look in your opinion.

The Sabre handle looks pretty good. ;)

Never tried this combination (I like the Blackbird handle just fine ;)), but it does look like it would work. :)

Oops, posted the first part of this post before seeing the previous post. Thanks for that one, too.

David, if you have calipers would you see how fat the Sabre handle is for me?

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks so much.

How fat is the Sabre handle? Would it work on the Blackbird? How would it look in your opinion.

Oops, posted the first part of this post before seeing the previous post. Thanks for that one, too.

David, if you have calipers would you see how fat the Sabre handle is for me?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I will do so over the weekend. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Rocca handle (R94) doesn't look bad on the BB head, imo.
View attachment 1294494

Your birch handle will fit, too. But it might look a bit strange...?!

However, I will stick with the original handle. It's just a visual pleasure to look at (and I adore the diameter/lenght ratio, 85mm here). Excellent razor @Blackland Razors ... I start to sound like a broken record.

View attachment 1294495

I like everything about the Blackbird handle except it's too skinny.

Too long I can fix by getting the shorter handle which is for sale or trade.

Some good suggestions and ideas so far. Thanks, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I tried several of my handles this morning and discovered to my great surprise that a number of them fit right snugly inside the Blackbird baseplate hole. Most don't, but several of the RR handles do, and perhaps others. As far as I can tell they tighten every bit as snuggly as the actual Blackbird handle.

I also measured my Blackbird handle and discovered I have the 85 mm handle. I thought mine was longer. Proves once again how little I actually know not that I had any doubts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Can you get a pic of where it meets the base plate? How's the balance?

Fayiz D.

Sure thing.

The balance seems okay to me. The RR handle weighs a few grams less than the Blackbird handle. To me, the head doesn't feel remotely top heavy with the Ti handle. To be fair, I'm easily satisfied when it comes to balance; unless it's way off one can adjust a mm or two, right? Not that I noticed any need to adjust anything.

Blackland.End.RR.End.640.JPG

I couldn't get the ends to line up in an apples to apples way as the diameters of the handles are different, but this ⬆ is pretty close, and should show you the ends are ~the same size. Visually and by feel they're the same size to my eye and hand.

Sorry the focus wasn't better, but I think it illustrates the point anyway.

Bkackbird,Baseplate.Ti.RR.HALO.640.JPG

In these ⬆ two photos ⬇ you should be able see that the RR Ti HALO handle easily inserts into the Blackbird baseplate. It screws down tight as does the Blackbird handle unless I'm greatly mistaken.

BlackbirdBaseplate.RR-Ti-HALO.640.JPG

Hope this answers your questions sufficiently.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you considered Tibam? He's made handles with an end shaped like Blackland's to fit a Blackbird head before, and he's pretty flexible about changing length and width on his handle designs.

Sure thing.

The balance seems okay to me. The RR handle weighs a few grams less than the Blackbird handle. To me, the head doesn't feel remotely top heavy with the Ti handle. To be fair, I'm easily satisfied when it comes to balance; unless it's way off one can adjust a mm or two, right? Not that I noticed any need to adjust anything.

View attachment 1294740

I couldn't get the ends to line up in an apples to apples way as the diameters of the handles are different, but this [emoji651] is pretty close, and should show you the ends are ~the same size. Visually and by feel they're the same size to my eye and hand.

Sorry the focus wasn't better, but I think it illustrates the point anyway.

View attachment 1294741

In these [emoji651] two photos [emoji652] you should be able see that the RR Ti HALO handle easily inserts into the Blackbird baseplate. It screws down tight as does the Blackbird handle unless I'm greatly mistaken.

View attachment 1294742

Hope this answers your questions sufficiently.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Very helpful! Thank you

Fayiz D.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Have you considered Tibam? He's made handles with an end shaped like Blackland's to fit a Blackbird head before, and he's pretty flexible about changing length and width on his handle designs.

I've been looking at various offering on eBay, etsy, etc. just this afternoon, but hadn't gotten to Tibam (although I would have).

Thanks for the pointer.

Then there's the problem of picking just the right design and length.

Fortunately, I'm not in a rush. There are a few of his offerings I don't like (particularly the popular New York), and, if I buy one I want it to look just right with the Blackbird.

Tibam Radiator Handle and Stand.480.jpg

I'd want a matching or compatible stand, too. Since I kinda like the look of the RR HALO, I might like the look of this model, which is called Radiator. It might be too busy?

I'm thinking 80 mm or 85 mm. Probably 80.

Again, I'm just tossing this around. There are other vendors who will also, from what I've heard, be happy to modify length and such, and at least one who does flat out custom work (but not inexpensively). There are several Tibam handles I like and his prices are significantly lower than some of the other guys.

Not that anybody's giving 'em away. Nor should they.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom