What's new

Black Tiger Razor " Gillette Tech Clone"

upload_2018-12-3_10-27-22.jpeg

After watching several Youtube video's including our own Mark Szorady I pulled the trigger on this pup. After several excellent close shaves I was impressed. I compared it to my 60's Gillette Tech & found the Black Tiger had more blade exposure & blade gap.The 4 tabs align the blade dead on every time. The Charcoal finish is pretty good as well. I don't know if its modeled after the British or Canadian pre war Tech's ? Its a Gillette Tech on steroids in my experience. I get close shaves without irritation. Its made by Global Shave Clubs International In Texas. So, for those looking for a close shave that won't break the budget its a very nice razor IMO. I ordered mine on Ebay for 10 bucks shipped & thats hard to pass up for me. P.S. Its a three Piece Razor.

Looking at some other photos of the razor online, I'd say that the head looks like a clone of a last-generation (1960s forward) Tech with the same handle that I've seen on some very cheap Chinese razors. The genuine 60s Tech head seems a bit more aggressive than the pre-War Techs and often the clones are even more aggressive.

Off-hand, I'd laughingly believe the "100% Solid Steel" claim but would not expect Stainless. Rather, I'd expect chromed regular steel. :)

This razor is very good indeed.

I have a few Chinese clones, many techs etc. This has become my go to razor for the past month or so. Frankly, I love it.

It is super efficient and is a very smooth shaver.

More aggressive than a garden variety tech, pretty well made, guaranteed for life and about $10 delivered. I am purchasing half a dozen to PIF at Christmas.

I bought one for the wife. She never shaved with a DE razor before,and she also loves it. One day she dropped it down a flight of stairs. It didn't break! Must be really made of steel!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for bringing this razor to my attention and thanks for your review of the razor. Makes me tempted.

Just watched the video, looks like the sweet spot is probably the same angle as my pre-war Tech. I ride the cap like he did in the video. Looks a lot like a later Tech. Don’t like the handle but for 10 bucks, who cares?

This looks like it would be a perfect DE razor for the new guys out there and also a good daily for the experienced guys to add to their rotation. Excellent price. I’m really tempted to get one for travel.

Thanks for posting!

Yep... It would make a good travel razor IMO also. If you manage to loose it its no big loss like a 200 buck razor.

Interesting razor, I like the black finish and the low head profile looks like it allows a more shallow cutting angle than most razors.
Is this a more rigid design like the post-war tech or is it more like the pre-war tech?
And can anyone confirm if it is steel? And what kind of steel, is it magnetic? If it isn't magnetic it could be stainless steel, or it may not be steel at all. If it is magnetic, I think it is probably steel, but it could still be stainless or it could be carbon steel.
And I wonder what the black finish is. Maybe it is carbon steel that is blued for corrosion protection?

Looking at some other photos of the razor online, I'd say that the head looks like a clone of a last-generation (1960s forward) Tech with the same handle that I've seen on some very cheap Chinese razors. The genuine 60s Tech head seems a bit more aggressive than the pre-War Techs and often the clones are even more aggressive.

Off-hand, I'd laughingly believe the "100% Solid Steel" claim but would not expect Stainless. Rather, I'd expect chromed regular steel. :)

I've used a 60's head on an old fat handle..nice setup actually.

Top Bottom