What's new

Black Thuri

I certainly did not pay Thuri money for it, but I took a chance as it was with this really nice Llyn. So I was banking on the fact that it may come from someone who knew a thing or two. In looking at the stone next to my Lune it has the same type of Microscopic glistening, you can see it in some of the pictures above. Is that glistening pretty common to any other types of stones? I am always curious to know what I have good stone or not.

Attachments

• 0521201433.jpg
    0521201433.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 31
I don't believe that the stone you show in your detailed pictures is a thuringian. Thuringians do normally not have sparkling in the surface.
As for black thuringians in general - they do exist. They are not coming from the old quarries where the yellow, green and blue stones came from. And also not from the quarry of the mottled black Schwedensteins. For a certain time in between the Escher company mined black stones in another quarry. They had been really black but with a typical slate mottling like modern slate hones.
Attached are some pictures of a black Escher labelled thuringian.

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Stone is exactly 12 inch long.

Regards Peter

Hi Slice,
no endlabel. The black stones weren't marked with an endlabel, they come from a different quarry and were clearly black. So no reason for a statement of color imho.
I think, the endlabels were only given for the thuringians coming from the old mines to distinguish the different qualities from yellow-green to blue. And I think this was mostly done not for (end)users but for the distributors, because the color determined the price in the past, from yellow-green being the most expensive to blue.

Regards Peter

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Peter have you seen or heard of the Green layer before? Like I said earlier I haven't looked in a long time but when I had it I scoured the internet and never did find another one like it

So if we have ruled out Thuris, does anyone have any general range of stones this might be? I may try and touch up a razor tonight with it to see how she does.

David,
if I remember correct, there was a distributor who sold Escher stones only in the classification green and blue, no further subdivision. I think I got somewhere a copy of a catalogue from the company where only blue and green thuringians are listed. Have to look for it, if I can find the copy I will post a picture.
Regards Peter

Looks like this LI. Is it hard like a Ark and slow or is it a fast cutting? You said it came with a Llyn, can you post a pic with them side by side please.
DSC01022.JPG
DSC01019.JPG

A black thuringian exists, but it comes from a known place - Thuringia region in Germany, not 'Eastern Europe'.
When The Escher Company was forced to set up their own quarry, they found a new location and that is where their black 'Escher' stones came from.
The Welsh Thuringian seller used to offer a black stone as being 'Escher Quality' and he said it was from 'Eastern Europe'. It may have been from eastern Europe, but I think it was from Wales, and it wasn't Escher Quality. On the other hand, one of the best slate stones I ever had did come from Eastern Europe and it was a pretty amazing chunk of slate.

I
The only way to know is to use them and see what they do. Idwals generally give great bang for the buck.
Finally got mine to produce a nice edge. I have a bad habit of judging stones too quickly but at least I don't give up on them. The problem was my lyn idwal goes after maxing out a non-polished trans ark, not before. It sits in the same spot as my SB ark, which in hand they feel about the same fineness. I love mystery stones. It looked kinda like an oil covered india when I got it. Definite win.

Hi Slice,
no endlabel. The black stones weren't marked with an endlabel, they come from a different quarry and were clearly black. So no reason for a statement of color imho.
I think, the endlabels were only given for the thuringians coming from the old mines to distinguish the different qualities from yellow-green to blue. And I think this was mostly done not for (end)users but for the distributors, because the color determined the price in the past, from yellow-green being the most expensive to blue.

Regards Peter
I have this "apex water hone" thuri and it looks black but the slurry dries kinda desert camo grey. What color thuri would that be? The are decent, in no fanboy of the stones but they are pretty good at what they do, just wish I could find one a decent bit finer. This is the only one I've used though so take any statements I make not about arkansas stones or coticules with a grain of salt.

20210814_152043.jpg20210814_173035.jpg

Attachments

• 20210814_152043.jpg
    20210814_152043.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
I have this "apex water hone" thuri and it looks black but the slurry dries kinda desert camo grey. What color thuri would that be? The are decent, in no fanboy of the stones but they are pretty good at what they do, just wish I could find one a decent bit finer. This is the only one I've used though so take any statements I make not about arkansas stones or coticules with a grain of salt.

View attachment 1328068View attachment 1328065

I'd have to see that Apex water hone in a different light, but the formatting seems identical to my "Genuine Water Hone." Were I not a participant on the forums, I might be inclined to describe it as "black," but usually the one I have is usually termed "dark blue." A.J.'s "Welsh Thuringian" appears more of a darker, more neutral black by way of comparison. I like A.J.'s "Welsh Thuringian," but the feel on his purple Welsh slate is better.

I'd have to see that Apex water hone in a different light, but the formatting seems identical to my "Genuine Water Hone." Were I not a participant on the forums, I might be inclined to describe it as "black," but usually the one I have is usually termed "dark blue." A.J.'s "Welsh Thuringian" appears more of a darker, more neutral black by way of comparison. I like A.J.'s "Welsh Thuringian," but the feel on his purple Welsh slate is better.
Yeah the lay out of the label if pretty similar to the "genuine water hone". I've got a purple one I haven't spent lots of time on. One day.

Top Bottom