What's new

Black Tea Recommendations

I was planning to make a swing by the local Whole Foods or Southern Seasons this weekend to celebrate the end of my Hell Week. I would love to hear suggestions for different types of black teas.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love tea. I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on teas, and have some nifty yixing pots to brew them in, but I can't help you here. I never, ever drink black tea.

I'm right there with you man, but I'm afraid I'm not much help. I buy my black tea at Teavana, which sells it loose-leaf. The closest one to you is in Charlotte.

I go for really dark black, though. Russian black. Irish Breakfast. English Breakfast.

If it's loose-leaf, stick your schnoz in the jar and give it a good smell.

A word of advice: keep your water temp down below 200° and steep for 3-4 minutes, no more. Otherwise bitterness sets in.

And if you add milk, sugar, or anything other that the tiniest spot of honey, I will personally come up there and...

:a11:

Happy drinking!

David

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i'm sure all those fancy teas are great but for me i'll stick to my english teabags. fly to england is my advice

flashback to those old Red Rose commercials ... "only in Canada you say? Pitty."

I'm fond of the local stuff from Murchie's, but you probably don't want to import from Canada. But I really like their Russian Caravan, which blends lapsang soochong with a few others ... hearty!

Asking for a general black tea recommendation is like asking for a general shave cream recommendation. There are too many choices without giving more specifics. What are you looking for?

Asking for a general black tea recommendation is like asking for a general shave cream recommendation. There are too many choices without giving more specifics. What are you looking for?

I suppose I was looking for something along the lines of a British type tea such as Earl Grey or English Breakfast, but a little bit stronger and more flavorful.

Get thee some good Keemun, then. Distinctive, winey black tea, great in the morning. If you like a more traditional, malty offering, look toward Assam.

I have just had a cup of "Late and Light" by Ronnenfeldt. A German tea - there is a wonderful tea shop on the High St five minutes walk from where I live in a small German town.

"Late and Light" is a light Celon Tea flavoured with vanilla. It is drunk without milk, of course.

I drink various Green Teas and a number of flavoured Roibosh Teas, which isn't Tea at all, but the leaves of the African Red Bush.

i'm sure all those fancy teas are great but for me i'll stick to my english teabags. fly to england is my advice

PG Tipps is the bomb!

Best bag tea I've had. I think it's the biggest brand in the UK (It was everywhere when I lived there) but it is still better than all the boutique brands I've tried.
Very strong and pungent with a unique fruity taste.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I suppose I was looking for something along the lines of a British type tea such as Earl Grey or English Breakfast, but a little bit stronger and more flavorful.

flashback to those old Red Rose commercials ... "only in Canada you say? Pitty."

I'm fond of the local stuff from Murchie's, but you probably don't want to import from Canada. But I really like their Russian Caravan, which blends lapsang soochong with a few others ... hearty!

In light of that, my suggestion of Russian Caravan is maybe not what you're looking for. (But still a great tea!)

The latest Earl Grey tea that I'm trying out is the Market District Earl Grey with Rose Petals, sold by Giant Eagle. The tea bags are the mesh style sachets. I'm pleasantly surprised with this tea, which I sweeten with some Blue Agave Sweetener.

Earl Grey is weak wimpy stuff but each to your own. i definately recommend just a decent teabag, eg PG Tips, typhoo or yorkshire as mentioned before. if you live a city you can get them in a lot of west indian stores or find them on the internet. good flavor and much more reasonable than loose leaf.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Well, my daughter peeked over my shoulder and reminded me that "I'm a big, fat liar".

During the warmer months, a huge jug of iced tea can always be found in the fridge. For the sake of my sanity (10 year olds are wild enough, as is) I use decaf Bromley and Splenda to produce a low stress concoction.

For straight tea drinking, it's still 95% oolong, with an occasional green.

Top Bottom