What's new

"Black Swan in Australian Roses" Reformulation

I just saw a new post on Brian Goulet's "Ink Nouveau" blog announcing that Noodler's very-popular Black Swan in Australian Roses ink has been reformulated/modified to a more purple tint. Take a look at the samples and let me know what you think. I for one am disappointed, as I really liked the dark red/burgundy color of the original...the new purple...ehh, not so much! :001_huh: I can understand the reasons for it, but that doesn't mean I have to like the results. I will be coveting my half-empty bottle of BSIAR and guarding it carefully!

Here's a link to the post: http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/07/color-change-for-black-swan-in.html

I ordered a Noodler's sample set from Goulet a couple weeks ago and was told that they couldn't fill the Australian Roses order. They were nice enough to give me the English Roses as a replacement, but I guess this explains why they couldn't fill it. It's a shame I had wanted to try it out, maybe I'll just get a bottle from the local shop and hope it's the old hue.

Legion

Staff member
The original is my go to ink. I don't mind the new version, but there are a lot of other inks that shade. BSIAR was a bit unique.

The dye supplier could potentially get the dye back to the way it was and the color could change back in later batches... We shall see.

I'll be looking at other inks if my bottle ever runs out. I've been mostly using Pilot Cartridges as my go to so my bottled inks haven't changed much the last couple of months.

The dye supplier could potentially get the dye back to the way it was and the color could change back in later batches... We shall see.

I'll be looking at other inks if my bottle ever runs out. I've been mostly using Pilot Cartridges as my go to so my bottled inks haven't changed much the last couple of months.
I guess that's one of the dangers of "boutique" inks. They're low volume and don't have a lot of influence on the suppliers of raw materials/ingredients. I'm still a fan of Noodler's inks and am willing to accept the slight risk that a favorite product may someday change or no longer be available. Even the big boys sometimes drop product lines or reformulate.

I know the swab samples look completely different and the writing samples haven't changed much but I like the more black part of the old ink over the almost purple part of the new one.

I have 75%+ of a bottle... I just checked and filled an empty pen with it just because I wanted to write with it. Still moderately sad.

I guess that's one of the dangers of "boutique" inks. They're low volume and don't have a lot of influence on the suppliers of raw materials/ingredients. I'm still a fan of Noodler's inks and am willing to accept the slight risk that a favorite product may someday change or no longer be available. Even the big boys sometimes drop product lines or reformulate.

I see that as a plus actually...makes them a bit more unique and desirable. You never know if that shade will be made the same.

Well...this sucks....

I was planning on buying a bottle and it seemed to be out of stock when ever I looked. I really don't care for the new shade, far too purple for me.

So far most of the alternatives fall short of the original awesome color, maybe one day we will see a close second.

Brian is great to lay all of this out.

Looks like a very different shade to me. I like the original better. I highly doubt that the new version is going to be newly the hit that the original was. There are lots of nice purples around.

I would think the new version should be renamed and all extant bottles properly labelled. Otherwise the consumer may be mislead. Seems to me that should be a Nathan or his supplier problem. I bet Nathan is doing at least a test swap of every ink he is making now!

I use BSIAR in a Lamy Nexx M once in a great while. I like the color but don't trust any Noodler's ink in a nice (expensive) pen. I still have 90+% of a bottle left, and that's probably a lifetime supply for me.

To me the new BSIAR looks similar to Noodler's Cactus Fruit or Diamine Syrah (great ink).

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If the colour change is permanent, then I agree with changing the name ... Black Swan in New Zealand Roses? ... in Tasmanian Roses?

Top Bottom