What's new

Black spots after 1st use

Hello,

I have found black stops in my blade after the first use and I wondered if somebody has experienced the same problem so soon and what you would recommend me to do, please.

I cleaned the blade just after finishing the shaving and I dried it very well.

Many thanks,
J

$blade.jpg

Those are water spots and they are normal. They can form very quickly on carbon steel, and it's not because of anything you did wrong. They will come off with a little polish.

Very carefully drying the blade will help; I use an alcohol spray before my final wipe of the blade. Stropping after shaving will help the edge as well. You also want to let it dry open. Oiling after shaving is bad because you can trap moisture on the blade; the razor needs to dry completely first.

Storing in the Sack-Ups moisture-wicking materials available at TSS or their website (sackups.com) helps a lot, probably more than oiling.

I realised about the spots when drying the blade after the shave and I am sure they were not there before starting it, so they definitely appeared when I was using the razor.

I dried the blade very well and I did not apply any oil after finishing but the spots where already visible and I could not remove them.

A bit of Maas polish on a cotton swab will get rid of them. It will also zap an edge, if you get too close.

Thank you. I will wait to see if the situation gets worse and use some polish if more spots appear.

Hi
Are you rubbing your fingers on alumn for more grip ? If yes, then this could generate almost instantaneous oxidation in case you touch your blade.

Remember to perfectly clean and dry it prior to storage. Also, strop it on suede or canvas and you'll be fine.

I have a few black spots on the satin finished Hart Steel razor I got in December. I keep it in the cloth storage sheath that came with it and store it in a nightstand. Mango's explanation of alum may apply because I did try it a couple times to dry my fingers. Won't be doing that again.

I think I'd really have to try to make the spots shinier, but is there any noticeable difference from spot polishing the black spots out? I like the clean look of a plain satin finish.

Spots erupting while shaving could be a localized water quality issue. Generally, after shaving, I rinse the blade and wipe it off with a bar towel. Then I strop the razor and leave it out opened to air-dry for 1-1/2 hrs. minimum. Before putting it away, I dip it in an alcohol-mineral oil solution and after a few minutes, when the alcohol has evaporated, I put it away until the next use.

Last edited:
I had a spot appear after my first straight shave. I had wiped off the blade and stropped it after shaving. What I had neglected was ensuring there was no water between the scales. Now I floss between the scales with some facial tissue or toilet paper before putting the razor in its silicone sleeve from TSS. Three years of no more spots

Top Bottom