What's new

Black Ship Grooming - Captain Joe Shave Soap!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone! Today I am reviewing Black Ship Grooming's, Captain Joe shave soap!

proxy.php

I am a huge coffee fan, I got to be drinking coffee everyday, otherwise I will go insane. I am sure many folks who post in the Cafe forum can relate. lol - So naturally, I went on the hunt for a shave soap that smelled like coffee.

Container:

This is your typical plastic container, with a flat top, bowl shaped on the bottom, uses a threaded lid, a plastic seal divider, and has loud and proud labeling. I guess if your voyage is on the ship of the flying Dutchman, tentacles might be your only reality, to enjoying your coffee regimen. While I may not take pride in humanity, I sure do appreciate our appendages. The side labeling also has some elegant flare, that grabs your attention as well.

proxy.php

Size:

This product is measured in weight ounces. Its listed on the container as 4OZ, but I measured 4OZ and 1/4 more. Its basically your standard small size puk container, not like the 5.8OZ big boys you get from Stirling.

proxy.php

Soap Type:

This is a soft based soap, not like your hard puks, so this is basically considered a croap. As you can see, for comical reasons, BSG includes a coffee bean in the soap, to re-iterate that this is a coffee scented soap. While highly unnecessary, I do find it funny. You could use your finger to scoop out some of this soap, or, do what I do, and use a bullion spoon.

SCENT:

My initial impressions of the scent were slight disappointment, as it didn't smell like the coffee grounds themselves. However, I can say, it does technically smell like brewed coffee that has creamer in it. So, in that way, the scent is not a total loss, just not what I thought it was going to be. The scent strength is not overly strong, infact, I'd say its a bit on the weak side, however, for some, they would see that as a good thing. The scent is slightly more developed after the soap has been bloomed into a lather.

PERFORMANCE:

The performance of the soap is not as good as many hard soaps that I've tried. Proraso shave soap is slicker, so is Captains Choice shave soaps, and Stirling shave soaps. Tabac completely outperforms CJ by miles! Having said that, the soap still provided some slickness, in order to perform the shave at hand. I did whip the lather into a yogurt consistency, in order to give the soap the best chance.

proxy.php

CONCLUSION:

Since I was looking for a coffee scented soap, I am not 100% satisfied with this soap, however, its not bad at all! If your looking for a coffee scented soap, go ahead and try this one out, you might like it! If your looking for a high performance soap, just avoid this one. My face feels good after using it though, and my goodness do I smell good right now! This is a good product, just not an amazing one. I am giving this soap a 🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.

Hello everyone! Today I am reviewing Black Ship Grooming's, Captain Joe shave soap!

proxy.php

I am a huge coffee fan, I got to be drinking coffee everyday, otherwise I will go insane. I am sure many folks who post in the Cafe forum can relate. lol - So naturally, I went on the hunt for a shave soap that smelled like coffee.

Container:

This is your typical plastic container, with a flat top, bowl shaped on the bottom, uses a threaded lid, a plastic seal divider, and has loud and proud labeling. I guess if your voyage is on the ship of the flying Dutchman, tentacles might be your only reality, to enjoying your coffee regimen. While I may not take pride in humanity, I sure do appreciate our appendages. The side labeling also has some elegant flare, that grabs your attention as well.

proxy.php

Size:

This product is measured in weight ounces. Its listed on the container as 4OZ, but I measured 4OZ and 1/4 more. Its basically your standard small size puk container, not like the 5.8OZ big boys you get from Stirling.

proxy.php

Soap Type:

This is a soft based soap, not like your hard puks, so this is basically considered a croap. As you can see, for comical reasons, BSG includes a coffee bean in the soap, to re-iterate that this is a coffee scented soap. While highly unnecessary, I do find it funny. You could use your finger to scoop out some of this soap, or, do what I do, and use a bullion spoon.

SCENT:

My initial impressions of the scent were slight disappointment, as it didn't smell like the coffee grounds themselves. However, I can say, it does technically smell like brewed coffee that has creamer in it. So, in that way, the scent is not a total loss, just not what I thought it was going to be. The scent strength is not overly strong, infact, I'd say its a bit on the weak side, however, for some, they would see that as a good thing. The scent is slightly more developed after the soap has been bloomed into a lather.

PERFORMANCE:

The performance of the soap is not as good as many hard soaps that I've tried. Proraso shave soap is slicker, so is Captains Choice shave soaps, and Stirling shave soaps. Tabac completely outperforms CJ by miles! Having said that, the soap still provided some slickness, in order to perform the shave at hand. I did whip the lather into a yogurt consistency, in order to give the soap the best chance.

proxy.php

CONCLUSION:

Since I was looking for a coffee scented soap, I am not 100% satisfied with this soap, however, its not bad at all! If your looking for a coffee scented soap, go ahead and try this one out, you might like it! If your looking for a high performance soap, just avoid this one. My face feels good after using it though, and my goodness do I smell good right now! This is a good product, just not an amazing one. I am giving this soap a 🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.
If you want a coffee scented soap, try Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee for a high performer. :)

If you want a coffee scented soap, try Catie's Bubbles Irish Coffee for a high performer. :)
I just bought this and looking forward to it.

I just shaved with Stirling Soaps seasonal 3 ounce container of Iced Coffee with the glacial tag on it. I’ve tried 4 other Stirling soaps (Obsidian, Lemon Chill, Black Ice and Iced Pineapple) with the glacial addition and they all have very pronounced cooling menthol feel. There was almost no menthol feeling in this Iced Coffee which was ac huge disappointment. I may even contact Stirling and see if this is normal as the scent is nice but I’m addicted to the menthol and bought it mainly for that reason.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I just bought this and looking forward to it.

I just shaved with Stirling Soaps seasonal 3 ounce container of Iced Coffee with the glacial tag on it. I’ve tried 4 other Stirling soaps (Obsidian, Lemon Chill, Black Ice and Iced Pineapple) with the glacial addition and they all have very pronounced cooling menthol feel. There was almost no menthol feeling in this Iced Coffee which was ac huge disappointment. I may even contact Stirling and see if this is normal as the scent is nice but I’m addicted to the menthol and bought it mainly for that reason.

Captain Joe is more of a croap soap, and as such, you will use more of it then you'd expect, and it lasted me 2-months. Its not a big container, and they don't even fill it all the way. In the end, I decided that I wouldn't be buying Captain Joe again, not after I had a try at Stirling Iced Coffee! FYI, Captain Joe is not glacial, so there is no menthol in it, just making sure you are aware of that.

I am a menthol head too, and I enjoy my glacial scents! The soaps that I have which are glacial are, Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill, Stirling Glacial Wintergreen, and Stirling Glacial Iced Coffee. For me, I felt that Stirling Iced Coffee was also low on the menthol amount, but at least the scent was closer to coffee, and thus in the end, is what I was looking for.

Stirling may consider Iced Coffee a summer limited run, but IMO, I think coffee scented soaps, are more of a cooler months seasonal soap to enjoy, rather then hot summer time months. I hope that you enjoy Captain Joe, but I ended up liking Stirling Iced Coffee more instead. Its very hard to do coffee scents for some reason, companies have a hard time matching the scent.

I remember once buying some essential oil that was supposed to be coffee scented, well I can tell you right now, that essential oil I bought didn't smell like coffee. It honestly had smelled more like cinnamon that was aged too long, down in the ground of mother earth. LOL! - Thanks for your comment!

Captain Joe is more of a croap soap, and as such, you will use more of it then you'd expect, and it lasted me 2-months. Its not a big container, and they don't even fill it all the way. In the end, I decided that I wouldn't be buying Captain Joe again, not after I had a try at Stirling Iced Coffee! FYI, Captain Joe is not glacial, so there is no menthol in it, just making sure you are aware of that.

I am a menthol head too, and I enjoy my glacial scents! The soaps that I have which are glacial are, Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill, Stirling Glacial Wintergreen, and Stirling Glacial Iced Coffee. For me, I felt that Stirling Iced Coffee was also low on the menthol amount, but at least the scent was closer to coffee, and thus in the end, is what I was looking for.

Stirling may consider Iced Coffee a summer limited run, but IMO, I think coffee scented soaps, are more of a cooler months seasonal soap to enjoy, rather then hot summer time months. I hope that you enjoy Captain Joe, but I ended up liking Stirling Iced Coffee more instead. Its very hard to do coffee scents for some reason, companies have a hard time matching the scent.

I remember once buying some essential oil that was supposed to be coffee scented, well I can tell you right now, that essential oil I bought didn't smell like coffee. It honestly had smelled more like cinnamon that was aged too long, down in the ground of mother earth. LOL! - Thanks for your comment!
I don’t have the Captain Joe, I have the Stirling Iced Coffee. I bought 2 of them based on the other glacial or Iced varieties I’ve tried. Just seems weird i had no, none, zilch feeling of menthol from Iced Coffee. I like the scent but really really disappointed about the lack of menthol.

I sent Stirling an email about it and maybe they can explain about the lack of menthol or maybe the 3 ounce sample was older and lost the menthol sensation due to age?

I also agree that Coffee is more of a fall and winter kind of drink but I confess I love coffee year round and I prefer Iced Coffee than regular hot coffee.

Maybe I’ll run Ice cubes on my face as shave prep before I lather up with Stirling’s glacial Iced Coffee next shave…

Top Bottom