What's new

Black replating that is durable

It seems that this is a challenge. Many of the plating vendors don't even touch black now. They are tired of the black wearing off or chipping.

Black Krome, black nickel seems to not last. And Rhodium has suddenly become very expensive.

Ruthenium? Recently heard about this. Seems to be very durable.

I am curious about black as I'd like to do two tone. Black handle and cap, with a gold base plate. But what is durable? And what goes well over brass or stainless?

Thoughts appreciated.

Black anodizing on aluminum seems like one of the more durable options but you were asking about brass and stainless. For brass, you might try Birchwood Casey Brass Black. It will wear off a bit but it's easy to redo as needed and doesn't look bad with a little wear. I've tried black krome and it was disappointing. Wore off in no time. I can't help much with stainless. I think you'd have to look at gunkote or something like that. That would work with any base metal and I hear it's pretty durable.

What I have heard is that black rhodium will turn lighter in time.

delta echo made some nice multicolor razors and it seems north shore does the same
Would like that for my birthday code slim adjustable which is now unshave able

but for me from Europe expensive to do! Just that return trip and customs hassle alone!

Some websites with examples would be appreciated by many maybe not for now but for later it is always good

The DLC looks interesting, and certainly is strong, but for cosmetic reasons I would not use it. It changes tone when dry vs oiled. Good for guns, as it's a reminder to keep them oiled, but I suspect it would end up looking variegated on a razor.

Although it's expensive, my research is showing me that Rhodium is likely the thing. Not black, but dark grey. But pretty cool looking.

What I'm doing now is having just the cap and guard gold plated. To save money, leave the handles the way they are, stainless, nickel, whatever. That metal silver look.

If I get a DE that is my absolute favourite, I may splurge and Rhodium plate it's handle as well. That dark grey wiht gold plates above it, would look great, I believe.

If dlc behaves like or is te same as pvd then it is widely used (oneblade genesis) as a clear or colored coat never seen anything on my genesis though.

It seems that this is a challenge. Many of the plating vendors don't even touch black now. They are tired of the black wearing off or chipping.

Black Krome, black nickel seems to not last. And Rhodium has suddenly become very expensive.

Ruthenium? Recently heard about this. Seems to be very durable.

I am curious about black as I'd like to do two tone. Black handle and cap, with a gold base plate. But what is durable? And what goes well over brass or stainless?

Thoughts appreciated.
I would look at North Shore Razors. Can do two tone and it's done on cerakote. He does awesome work!

If dlc behaves like or is te same as pvd then it is widely used (oneblade genesis) as a clear or colored coat never seen anything on my genesis though.

DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is applied by the PVD method. PVD is not actually a coating, but a deposition method for coatings. Stands for Physical Vapor Deposition. Basically you place the items you want coated into a chamber then apply vacuum. After this you heat the coating material until it vaporizes (several ways to do this, sputtering, electrical arc etc.) and coats everything in the vacuum chamber. DLC is black or purplish black. A clear coating will be something else.

BTW Rhodium is probably not the best idea either. It is prone to wear and will look pretty tatty in short order if used for a handle. Unless you plan on frequent replating around every year or two. Can't plate it thicker to compensate for wear either from what I understand, as it is prone to crack and flake if you do. DLC would be the far better choice IMO. I'm not familiar with ruthenium plating so can't comment on that one.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Cerakote, gunkote is your best option for black over brass. Blackening if it's steel.

Adam

Top Bottom