What's new

Black Opal advice requested

I recently found this black "Opal" brand brush in an antique store and have it ready for a knot. I think it's needing a 24 mm. knot as a quarter almost fits inside it. If anyone knows that I'm wrong about the size, let me know (I don't have a caliper). What I'm really wanting to get are recommendations for a knot and where to shop for it. I guess I'd prefer a synthetic, something that would look good with a black handle... I'm thinking about a tuxedo knot, but open to suggestions. Any thoughts about the type of knot and good places to shop for it? Thanks!!

IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Beautiful restoration of the Opal handle. Love the solid black color and the shape.

Wikipedia says the US quarter diameter is 24.26 mm. Others recommend going down 1mm from the opening, but in the 4 reknots I have done, the exact size worked best. 24mm sounds right. You can always lightly sand the knot glue, or widen the handle if need be.

I have only purchased new SHD badger knots from Maggard’s, and they’re wonderful. Given site ratings and B&B reviews, I can only presume Maggard’s synthetics are equally wonderful. Also, I highly recommend their Hardman silicone adhesive over epoxy: more forgiving, and easy to reset if needed. I bought in bulk (10 packets) from a different retailer.

Best wishes on your decision. Please post pictures when you’re done!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice handle, I quite like the black for a handle colour. Looking for ward to seeing the finished brush.

OK, I'm trying to narrow it down. I think the tuxedo knot might look the best in this handle. I've noticed that the AS Shave site has a "Tuxedo" named knot, but Maggard's isn't named Tuxedo, just "black and white". Anyone tried both of those and know what could be the difference in them? I also like the look of Maggard's Timberwolf Grey knot and think it might look good in my handle. Anyone tried that one? Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Beautiful restoration of the Opal handle. Love the solid black color and the shape.

Wikipedia says the US quarter diameter is 24.26 mm. Others recommend going down 1mm from the opening, but in the 4 reknots I have done, the exact size worked best. 24mm sounds right. You can always lightly sand the knot glue, or widen the handle if need be.

I have only purchased new SHD badger knots from Maggard’s, and they’re wonderful. Given site ratings and B&B reviews, I can only presume Maggard’s synthetics are equally wonderful. Also, I highly recommend their Hardman silicone adhesive over epoxy: more forgiving, and easy to reset if needed. I bought in bulk (10 packets) from a different retailer.

Best wishes on your decision. Please post pictures when you’re done!

Okay, here it is. I cleaned and polished the handle and have installed a 24mm AP Shaving Tuxedo knot. I haven't used it yet, but I'm really pleased with how well it turned out for as rough as it looked when I found it at the antique shop. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, I appreciate it!
IMG_0918.JPG

Top Bottom