What's new

Black Hole of Bourbon

Gents,

I have always favored scotch over just about any other spirit. Maybe about a decade ago I decided to give bourbons a go. Typically I would have a bottle in the cabinet. Elmer T. Lee was the normal choice but there could also be some bottom shelf stuff for mixing. Nothing special.

This has all changed. And it has changed because of the fine folks in this forum. I now have a budding collection of bourbons. Nothing too fancy just yet but enough variety to make things interesting. Currently I have bottles of Eagle Rare 10, Four Roses Small Batch, Weller 12, Benchmark 8, Evan Williams Single Batch and Bulliet. Slowly I have been able to work on developing my palette, scent and taste. Very much enjoying the experience, I must admit.

Thank you!

Your welcome. I would like to make a few suggestions...

-Old Pogue, this is more of a micro distillary in Maysville, Ky. By micro, I mean, exactly one guy working there!
-Jefferson's Reserve, a tad pricey but amazing.
-Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, what more can I say, its Woodford.
-Buffalo Trace, a good all around bourbon to keep on hand.
-Wild Turkey Rare Breed, again, a decent all around bourbon but it is a barrel aged and a combo blend of 6, 8, and 12 year bourbons.

Your welcome. I would like to make a few suggestions...

-Old Pogue, this is more of a micro distillary in Maysville, Ky. By micro, I mean, exactly one guy working there!
-Jefferson's Reserve, a tad pricey but amazing.
-Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, what more can I say, its Woodford.
-Buffalo Trace, a good all around bourbon to keep on hand.
-Wild Turkey Rare Breed, again, a decent all around bourbon but it is a barrel aged and a combo blend of 6, 8, and 12 year bourbons.

Thanks for the advice. I have had bottles of Woodford and Buffalo Trace through the years. Forgot to add a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 to my current stash. Really liking that 101.

You have some of my favorites.

I have been working in KY for the last year and have tried just about everything.

Pick up a bottle of the EH Taylor Small Batch (my current favorite "top-shelf") and a bottle of the Johnny Drum Black Label (current favorite "bargain).

-J

In the past couple of years I have gone from a single bottle of Knob Creek that I bought at the Beam distillery after a tour and tasting, to a full half of my liquor cabinet being dedicated to whiskeys, primarily bourbon & rye. With the exception of a couple of special bottles (Bulleit 10-yr & Old Rip Van Winkle), all are open and consumed regularly. That said, I have STILL not tried all of the bourbons that I want to try. It is indeed a black hole, and there are new ones entering the market every other day it seems. It is a great time to be a bourbon enthusiast!

Try some Basil Hayden next time you are looking for something new. At 80 proof is doesn't have quite the kick of some of the others but is a really nice "sipping" bourbon. Maker's Mark and Maker's Mark 46 also are very good IMHO.

Check out Russell's Reserve 10 and George Dickel 12. Both great bargains and can be had usually for less than $20.

Half Weller 12 and half Weller Antique is supposed to taste like Pappy 15 (it doesn't) but it's somewhat close and pretty dang good. I just happen to be drinking some right now.

Lots of good stuff here. Eagle Rare 10 is maybe my number one favorite. Russell's Reserve 10 - yes. Bulleit - awesome. Four Roses - I'm drinking it right now. I'm in agreement with everything here except maybe the Jefferson's. I found it too bitter.

Van Winkle's Lot B 12yo is really nice. Reeeeally nice. Elijah Craig 12yo is also worth a look.

If you want a whiskey that not only packs an alcohol wallop but an even bigger flavor wallop, try Bookers. It's like 126 proof, but somehow still tastes amazing. I believe it's full cask strength.

I love Scotch as well but you can get a top shelf Bourbon for almost 1/2 what an equivalent Scotch costs.

Top Bottom