What's new

Black Handled Super Speed , are you a fan ?

My birth year razor is a U4 Black Handle SuperSpeed. I have some U dated french SuperSilver blades to go with it too.

I wouldn't call it my favourite but it comes out on my birthday each year and takes a turn with the suitably aged blades. It gives good service.

Thread resurrection time... Would any of you buy a NOS unopened and unused black handle SuperSpeed and shave with it? Or would you leave it unopened for posterity? And would you overpay for an unopened NOS example vs. a used one in good condition?

I have a birth year (1968) superspeed and when paired with a GSB gives a great shave. I don't think that I would pay extra for one that was NOS and if I got one for a good price, I would most definitely shave with it (it is, after all, a razor and designed for shaving). I see what others are saying, but I just shaved with mine last night and it performed beautifully. When I consider what I paid for it, it can't be beat.

I have a 1967 that was my dad's and the first shaver I ever used. After about the second shave he could tell I was using it and told me to buy my own. I remember the first time I used in 1969 I used his Noxzema blue jar as a cream and was amazed how smooth it was. Years ago I remember using it and opening it a little to make a more aggressive shave. I wouldn't do that today. It's mild and efficient and one of the few things I have that he owned.

Thread resurrection time... Would any of you buy a NOS unopened and unused black handle SuperSpeed and shave with it? Or would you leave it unopened for posterity? And would you overpay for an unopened NOS example vs. a used one in good condition?
There was one one Ebay unopened just a few days ago. Good question.

I have several Super Speeds including a VERY nice 1973 black handle. They are all good shavers but for me in the vintage stuff, nothing touches my ‘57 Red Tip....not the Slim or Fatboy either. The RT just feels “right”.

That said, I prefer slants as a daily driver.

If you get BBS shaves with your Super Speed, that’s all you need. It took me up until just recently to get my technique down to finally achieve 3 pass BBS shaves with my 53 and 57 Super Speeds. Up until that time and over many years, I got easy BBS shaves with all of my expensive, aggressive razors but it takes real technique to achieve this with one of the mildest. I always disagreed that it is a beginner razor because you need very good technique to master it.

If you get BBS shaves with your Super Speed, that’s all you need. It took me up until just recently to get my technique down to finally achieve 3 pass BBS shaves with my 53 and 57 Super Speeds. Up until that time and over many years, I got easy BBS shaves with all of my expensive, aggressive razors but it takes real technique to achieve this with one of the mildest. I always disagreed that it is a beginner razor because you need very good technique to master it.
Agreed. I used to get nasty chin cuts before I figured it out: Roll my lower lip into my teeth to stretch the skin then shave sideways.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My SS’s are my preferred DE razors. I have a 60’s black handle and it provides a close comfortable shave IMHO. For what I’m looking for in a shave, I’ve found the vintage Gillette’s to hit the sweet spot. Plus they just have a cool factor that appeals to me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have over a dozen modern and vintage razors, including virtually every incarnation of the Super Speed, and I have used a 70s version of the Super Speed nearly every day for the past 6 years. Ironically, starting today I'm rotating a 1920 New Improved and a Fatip Grande for the next month as I'm doing "Open Comb OCtober" here at B&B. Just 10 minutes ago I slipped the Super Speed into a warm water bath with some Dawn blue dish soap. It's been a while since she had a spa day.

It's a great razor that became my daily razor by default when one day 6 years ago I went to change razors and said to hell with it and just changed the blade in the Super Speed I had been using, and I've been doing the same thing ever since.

I have a black-handle Superspeed that looks like it has never been used (but it's not NOS, not in the packaging). I have actually never tried it. I have 60s superspeeds that I have shaved with and I like them pretty well.

I guess I figured the black-handle was probably pretty much like the other superspeeds, and also because it was in such amazing condition, that I would rather sell it than shave with it. Well, I've had it for about 6 years and I haven't sold it yet. Maybe I should fire it up for a shave? Or maybe I should finally get around to selling it?

I have a black-handle Superspeed that looks like it has never been used (but it's not NOS, not in the packaging). I have actually never tried it. I have 60s superspeeds that I have shaved with and I like them pretty well.

I guess I figured the black-handle was probably pretty much like the other superspeeds, and also because it was in such amazing condition, that I would rather sell it than shave with it. Well, I've had it for about 6 years and I haven't sold it yet. Maybe I should fire it up for a shave? Or maybe I should finally get around to selling it?
Get a blade in there and start shaving. An unused razor is, what?

I think all the Gillette TTOs take a back seat to their 3-piece razors personally. But I have a black-handled super speed that's a pretty decent shaver and I still break out a super speed once in a while. All the super speeds shave close enough to the same for me that there's no real point in trying to go too far into one generation vs another. The black handled ones may be very slightly more mild than the older ones which is fine with me and I use the black handled one about as often as the other super speeds. I think the black handles are probably aluminum which might mean they won't last quite as long as the brass ones. Still, they'll last long enough. There's not much to dislike but I do prefer the NEW and Tech over any of the TTOs including the adjustables.

I too have a black handled SS from my dad that I used for years when I decided to stop wasting money on disposable cartridges. Something about the Super Speeds, all the ones I've used, I've found them easy to get the right angle. Unlike the Rockwell Model T.

That SS got me on the path to collecting Gillette TTOs. I now have the black handled SS, a 1947 SS, an American Aristocrat Jr, a British Aristocrat Jr, a Rocket HD, and on its way, an Aristocrat #16. Think I'm done for now. :facep:

I have currently 4. 2 with the earlier diamond bottom plate (one still unused in the blister), and 2 from the 80s with the rectangular bottom plate - they have a bigger gap but less exposure. And I am waiting for a 5th one - a diamond bottom plate 1976.
I only have 2 US non-black Super Speeds from the 60s and one UK flare tip Rocket. That should tell you how much I like the black handled ones.

Top Bottom