What's new

Black Handled Super Speed , are you a fan ?

My daily driver is a 1978 that belonged to my God father. I also have his 1976 as a back up. I also have a few birth year 1968 super speeds as well. I love hese razors. I always get bbs shaves and they feel quite good holding them . Anyone else here particularly enjoy using these ? Post photos if you can.

Attachments

• $20140721_145208.jpg
    $20140721_145208.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 217
It's okay as a beginner razor, but when I became more experienced I found that I did not like the Superspeeds, whichever handle. Unless you consider the Red Tip a Superspeed-this is an amazing razor.

I just cleaned up a 1970 P4. I used it last night, but didn't like it with the Dorco 300 blade. I am a newbie, so I may change my mind as my technique improves. On the other hand, a Dorco 300 worked very well in my el cheapo Chinese DE razor ("as seen on TV").

Here is mine:

I do not have a black handle superspeed, but have a blue tip B1, and a flare tip B3. I have not used the blue tip, but so far I am not in love with the flare tip. The one razor that I do love is a '53 British Aristocrat #66. I also have a German Parat, but it came broken and I have not repaired it yet. YMMV
Aristocrat
$20140528_224816.jpg
Blue tip & Flare tip
$20140530_223503.jpg

Last edited:
This morning i tried my (new to me) M4 Gillette Super Speed and Lord Classic. I see why people like the SS so much, almost DFS with 2 WTG and 1 XTG and virtually no sting from the alum block.

I've had a lot of Super Speeds come and go and currently have cut it down to just three. A '47 un-notched, a '58 TV Special and a '75 Black handle. Although there were a number of variations and changes, I feel that this gives me one from every major era of the Super Speed. All are excellent razors. I think the black handles can get overlooked and are a great razor at a totally reasonable price. Every time I shave with mine I am reminded how good it is.

I found one at an antique mall for $10. Cleaned it up and shaved with it. I found it a little too mild for my taste and I sold it to free up $$ for otuer stuff.

Just my 2 cents and glad it works so well for those who like it.

My first razor. Purchased new in 1973. Came with a pack of 5 blades. Cost 1.99 as I recall. I tried wet shaving w Williams and all but couldn’t get a good lather. I moved to canned shaving cream but I also took up the new Wilkinson Bonded system, the first cartridge razor. Stayed with that til I grew a beard in law school. Came back to wet shaving 10 years ago and who is waiting in the back of the drawer? My ‘73 Super Speed.

Inherited my father's. Love it. It's a great and far too often overlooked razor. I find mine to be just a bit more aggressive than other Superspeeds. Mine has held up well over the years, it pretty much looks new. I use it for touch ups all the time.

Yes. I have 5 of them. Oldest is late 60s and the newest is an 85. Yes they sell for very reasonable prices so lets keep this quiet so prices don't go up. ;)

I have a 1968, and it is a solid performer. Not the closest shave, but very respectable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had a birth year/quarter one but didn't get on with it, so I PIF's it. It was early in my DE journey, so it may have been user error. This thread makes me want to get one and try again.

Looking at getting a super speed. How different is the black handle versus the red tip? Is the red tip a lot more aggressive?

In a word, yes. The red tip is more aggressive. It is also a completely different razor. Much heavier, thicker handle, better made, better engineered.

The black handle is a razor that I love, but to be perfectly honest, it is not as well made as earlier superspeeds. The earlier ones in my collection, the late 1940's, the early to mid 1950's are all better quality. For the best engineered razors the British made Gillettes can't be beat. Great examples would be a British red tip, the Aristocrat Jr. or the Rocket HD 500 or any of the British "Rocket" razors are also candidates for my vote for quality engineering.

Don't get me wrong, the black handle is a very under-rated razor and I wouldn't part with mine, but it isn't the best example of the genius of the Gillette company. For the money they're selling for on the 'bay, they're well worth it and they really shouldn't disappoint. Again, I love mine and for the money, if you get one in good condition it's a very fine razor that you may well be using for the rest of your life. Mine has been in use since it was bought new and with pretty much no special care still looks new.

Top Bottom