What's new

Black handle no longer black

I have a black handle Super Speed that I cleaned by soaking in Oxiclean. Of course, when I pulled it out the handle was no longer black. After some reading, I now know that this dissolved the black resin Gillette used on the handles. I really like how good Oxiclean works on other razors, but won't use it on black handles again.

Now I've got two questions. First, what is the best way to redo the handle? Just paint it, or is there a better alternative? If I paint it, I am thinking a different color besides black. I've already ruined any collectible value it might have had, so might as well customize it somehow.

Now for the second question. I just received a black handled Super Adjustable from ebay, and I have a birth year and quarter black handle Super Speed on the way. I currently have the Super Adjustable soaking in hot water and Dawn. But is there another cleaner that works as well as Oxiclean that is safe for the black handles? I have used Scrubbing Bubbles on some razors, but saw a thread where someone used it on a black handle and it turned white. I would rather not make the same mistake a second time.

Enamel wont last and anything like Iso or chem-cleaners will dull or destroy the enamel. I'd write-off the Super Speed, it would cost more to send it out or replace the handle then what it is worth. Like above mentioned dish soap and a soft toothbrush or send them out to be cleaned and tuned-up, professionally.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it's not resin, aluminum parts were anodised black (like the pink, blue, champagne miladys).
You can paint or cerakote/gunkote it, will be black, but not exactly the same.

Thanks for the responses. I thought about powder coating as an option, as Whiterook mentioned, just not sure if I want to go that route.

I have the same fear about the longevity of enamel that maui life brought up, so probably won't go that route, either.

Romsita, I only thought it was resin because that is what I had read in another thread. It actually makes more sense (to me at least) that it would have been anodized. Maybe I could re-anodize it, possibly in a different color.

OhioBob, I have thought about getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but not sure which one would be best for cleaning razors. Any suggestions?

I picked up the recommended one on Amazon a couple years ago. Think it's a Magnasonic. Does the job well for me. Of course my excuse for getting it was to clean my wife's jewelry.

Do you also purchase the ultrasonic cleaning solution form Amazon, or do you use something more readily available?

Do you also purchase the ultrasonic cleaning solution form Amazon, or do you use something more readily available?
I did, but for razors I usually just use a small amount of Dawn. Sometimes I will use both, but normally just the Dawn. Then I will lightly polish with MAAS Polish or something similar then another run through the Ultrasonic cleaner just to remove any polish that got in small openings.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one. The birth year and quarter black handle Super Speed arrived today, so it will be the first to go in the ultrasonic cleaner when it is delivered. The razor is pretty filthy and reeks of cigarette smoke. Hopefully, the cleaner will get rid of the smell as well as the crud.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one. The birth year and quarter black handle Super Speed arrived today, so it will be the first to go in the ultrasonic cleaner when it is delivered. The razor is pretty filthy and reeks of cigarette smoke. Hopefully, the cleaner will get rid of the smell as well as the crud.
Do a soak in hot tap water with Dawn first & scrub with a soft toothbrush then run through the Ultrasonic Cleaner & repeat all steps if necessary.

Well, the ultrasonic cleaned arrived tonight while I was at work. I had already soaked the razor with Dawn and hot water yesterday. Didn't take off much of the gunk, but it did get rid of the smell. I put it int the ultrasonic cleaner tonight and ran it through three cycles. I would say at least %95 of the gunk or more came off. The doors wouldn't budge before, but they now move freely. There is still some stubborn stuff left in the grooves on the handle, so I will soak it some more tomorrow and then put it in the cleaner again.

I had thought about buying an ultrasonic cleaner in the past, but always talked myself out of it. Anyone on the fence about getting one should take the plunge. It makes cleaning razors so much easier.

That's the one. I'm sure the more expensive ones would work a lot better, but I think this one is fine for our purposes. You might just have to put it through a few cycles to get it as clean as you want, depending on how bad the gunk on the razor is. I got better results in two 8 minute cycles than I usually do with an overnight soak.

A word of warning... aluminum razors don't much like soaking either. If they're left too long they'll start developing a white residue, likely aluminum oxide, and they'll never be the same.

I got the razor that is no longer black disassembled. Can anyone tell me how to separate the handle from the neck? The attached picture is from one of Captain Murphy's threads. I have circled the part that I am talking about. If reusing someone else's picture in this way is against the rules I will remove it. I've tried every nondestructive way I can think of to pull the two pieces apart, but no luck so far.
20210729_184127.jpg

R

romsitsa

Don’t pull it. Make a jig for the handle from soft wood. Thats two pieces of wood with a shallow channel in their middle to accept the handle. Clamp the handle in a vice. Be gentle or you will crush the aluminum tube.
Take a wooden or metal rod that will fit into the bottom of the handle. Insert the rod and hammer out the head. If you can firmly grip the handle the vice can be skipped.

I thought about something like that, but wasn't sure if it was the best way to do it. Thanks for the advice.

Well, I tried a wooden dowel rod with no luck. Didn't use a vise, as I don't have one, but was able to hold it firmly in my hand. Instead of knocking the neck loose from the handle, the wood where it contacted the neck just compressed. I'll swing by Lowe's or Home Depot over the next day or two to get a metal rod to try instead.

Top Bottom