What's new

Black Friday newbie haul

5th shave.

Gillette Silver Blue
Barrister and Mann Latha Lavanda (I got one of maggard's last samples for $0.50)
Nivea aftershave

I'm getting better at technique. Adam's apple area is difficult! My hair grows every which way there.

Barrister and Mann soap is great! It's on my short list to buy a full size container of.

7th shave.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box)
Maggard Barbershop
Nivea aftershave

Best shave yet (probably of my entire life)! The yellow 7 O'Clocks seem to really agree with my face.

1 technique error nick on my chin and some slight reddening on my adam's apple.

The patch of ingrown hairs on my neck that have been there for about 10 years are nearly healed.

Sounds like you've taken to this quicker than I did. It took a while for me to get past the "this whole process takes way too long" phase. At this point though I'll never go back.

Sounds like you've taken to this quicker than I did. It took a while for me to get past the "this whole process takes way too long" phase. At this point though I'll never go back.

It does take awhile. I've been shaving in the evening on days that I work. I'm on leave right now, so no worries of how long it takes. Its becoming a quicker process as I figure out technique, and I'm less scared of cutting myself.

8th and 9th shaves

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box)
Maggard Barbershop
Nivea aftershave

8th shave was an attempt at mapping my beard and going ATG on my neck. It failed miserably, and was the most irritated I've been since I started.

9th shave I just went S-N then N-S on my neck with some touchups. Additionally, I read some threads and watched some youtube focusing on neck shaving. It worked out much better.

Now the question is, with a deployment coming up, do I continue trying blades or cycle through what I've tried again (Astra SP, GSB, and 7O'Clock yellow) and buy a 100 pack of what works best so far? I want to leave with enough blades that I know I like to survive me through 6 months at least. I'll still bring my sample tucks and continue trying them.

Shave number... umm... I forgot.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box, 3rd shave)
Maggard V3/MR15
Declaraction Grooming Original
Alum block
Nivea aftershave

I went back through Astra SP, GSB, and back to 7 O'Clock yellow with little luck until today. I've been having irritation issues trying to figure out what I'm doing. I realized today I've just been applying pressure I didn't realize I was applying this whole time. I concentrated the entire shave on just trying to barely touch my face. I got my first completely blood free shave with only slight feedback from the alum block on my cheeks and adam's apple.

2 passes, then I bumped my bowl into the sink. :a36: I gave up a little upset, cleaned up, and realized I actually got the most comfortable shave I've ever had.

Shave number... umm... I forgot.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box, 3rd shave)
Maggard V3/MR15
Declaraction Grooming Original
Alum block
Nivea aftershave

I went back through Astra SP, GSB, and back to 7 O'Clock yellow with little luck until today. I've been having irritation issues trying to figure out what I'm doing. I realized today I've just been applying pressure I didn't realize I was applying this whole time. I concentrated the entire shave on just trying to barely touch my face. I got my first completely blood free shave with only slight feedback from the alum block on my cheeks and adam's apple.

2 passes, then I bumped my bowl into the sink. :a36: I gave up a little upset, cleaned up, and realized I actually got the most comfortable shave I've ever had.

Behind every cloud there is a silver lining :)

Just have to find out whether it is the sun, or a lightning strike :001_07:

Glad to hear about your great shave.

Now the question is, with a deployment coming up, do I continue trying blades or cycle through what I've tried again (Astra SP, GSB, and 7O'Clock yellow) and buy a 100 pack of what works best so far? I want to leave with enough blades that I know I like to survive me through 6 months at least.
Go with a 100 of what works best so far. The Astra SP seems to work for a lot of people. Your technique will get better.

Top Bottom