What's new

Black flecks on shaving soap?

I've noticed that 2/3 of my tubs of Stubble Buster have what appear to be tiny <0.5mm solid dark flecks of varying size on the surface and I don't recall seeing them when the tubs were first opened.

I'm looking at everything I own and it doesn't seem like residue from brushes or stubble, plus these 2 soaps are the only two in my whole den that have the flecks. No rancid smell but the soaps are somewhat gooey on the surface despite me airing them to dryness before storage after every use.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be, or at least know if the flecks are part of the soap?

I got curious and stuck my finger down the middle of both tubs and found out that the flecks are present throughout the soap. Really strange. Don't think it's mold but unless it's the beeswax in the ingredients I'm at a loss as to what it is.

I sometimes had bits if my shaved off stubble get on the soap from my brush after putting on second lather. I solved this by rinsing my face after each pass.

I should be receiving a used tub of SB soonish. I'll let you know what mine looks like. Do you have a picture of what you're seeing?

sbbf.png

Excuse the poor quality. You can see the black spots speckled throughout the soap, not just the surface. The goopiness in the center is due to me covering up the hole I made (SB is very, very soft).

My initial reaction is mold as well, however I see they have Bentonite clay in a few of their soaps.

Most of the clay I have seen is a very fine powder, but its possible some larger pieces got in the mix somehow (yet another reason why clay has no place in a shaving soap .. :devil2: )

Top Bottom