What's new

Black bird

Blackland blackbird.....

Too aggressive or just right??

Its on my RAD radar [emoji341]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I have one on order. So many glowing reviews has part of me buzzing with anticipation. The other part of me is nervous that I won’t be able to handle it. Mixed feelings. Plus, I have my first Wolfman currently en route from Canada. Definitely torn over the BB.

The Blackbird is a wonderfully smooth shaver once you have your technique down. It's a bit on the aggressive side, but it's become one of my favorites. In fact, all of the Blackland razors are fantastic. I own and use all the time, the Dart, Blackbird and my newest favorite, the Sabre. When I first started with the Dart, my first Blackland razor, I nicked myself with every shave for a few shaves, but I've learned what makes it tick and now it's incredibly smooth. If you're like me, I've become so used to the Blackland razors that any others i have are too mild and not giving me the closeness of shave that I like. Those things will spoil you.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For as low a blade gap as the BB has, it is very efficient when driven steep with a Feather. It has become, perhaps, my favorite combination. That, or the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 with a Feather. These have not only butchered my RAD beyond identification, they’ve also destroyed my desire for any vintage razor. And some of you friends know just how enamored I was with vintage Gillettes. I’ve pif’d or sold them all save a Gillette Goodwill #160. And even it is paired with a CG hammered brass handle. My vintage journey was awesome; but these modern artisans are creating shaving masterpieces, and I’m simply enjoying them more.

For as low a blade gap as the BB has, it is very efficient when driven steep with a Feather. It has become, perhaps, my favorite combination. That, or the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 with a Feather. These have not only butchered my RAD beyond identification, they’ve also destroyed my desire for any vintage razor. And some of you friends know just how enamored I was with vintage Gillettes. I’ve pif’d or sold them all save a Gillette Goodwill #160. And even it is paired with a CG hammered brass handle. My vintage journey was awesome; but these modern artisans are creating shaving masterpieces, and I’m simply enjoying them more.

I hear what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree. But with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB and the BB scheduled to arrive in the very near future, I can’t help but feel some stress over what’s going to get culled. Right now, my rotation includes GC84, H&S N075, Karve SS, and Timeless SS .68 & .95. With the other two coming soon (WR2 currently en route), I feel like something will need to go. Just have no idea what it will be.

Edit: I do have a few vintage Gillettes that are worth much less than my modern razors monetarily, yet are worth more to me personally. For example, a birth quarter/year Super 84 and a beautifully replated NEW Short Comb. Those will be staying regardless, but I feel I’ll need to thin the herd of the moderns listed above.

The Blackbird is a top three razor for me, it shares the top three with my Wolfman WR1 and WR2. It's in good company.

I don't know how to explain the BB, it's an enigma. It shaves great, has blade feel, but is so smooth. I found the OC plate smoother than SB plate; I believe @Hannah's Dad observed the opposite. Oh and it looks cool!

This thread has some great info about the BB:

If this is the case, I think I’m going to like it. I just keep hearing that it has the tendency to bite, which makes me a little bit apprehensive.

The blade exposure could make it prone to nicks or weepers. The BB isn't a 'whip it around the face' razor for me. It takes some time and attention but delivers!

I have one and find it very efficient but smooth. Never nicked myself with it and shave my head and around my beard with it. Haven’t tried the OC plate yet but the SB is awesome.

I hear what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree. But with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB and the BB scheduled to arrive in the very near future, I can’t help but feel some stress over what’s going to get culled. Right now, my rotation includes GC84, H&S N075, Karve SS, and Timeless SS .68 & .95. With the other two coming soon (WR2 currently en route), I feel like something will need to go. Just have no idea what it will be.

Edit: I do have a few vintage Gillettes that are worth much less than my modern razors monetarily, yet are worth more to me personally. For example, a birth quarter/year Super 84 and a beautifully replated NEW Short Comb. Those will be staying regardless, but I feel I’ll need to thin the herd of the moderns listed above.

I feel your ‘pain!’ :straight::straight::straight:

Many of us went through a similar phase! In the end this allowed more room in the den for other ADs!!

Top Bottom