What's new

Black Bear and Hog with a 30-30?

Reference: Black Bear with 30-30.
Is there any importance to bullet selection for black bear hunting?
I think bears are thick-skinned.
I have never hunted bears, I have never seen one in the woods in Oklahoma, Louisiana or Florida. There are bear crossing signs on the roads in Florida.

Bears are kind of scary when camping in Colorado.

Cheers - Jody

I do need to add a Marlin 30-30 to my collection! But if I get a 30-30, do I need a .444 or a .45-70? Or a .35 Remington? Of course I do! I'm a big fan of the .270 Winchester, had one back in the day, foolishly I sold it, but I was young and didn't know no better.
Personally I don't need or really want a Marlin 30-30. I have three 30-30 rifles, all "fancy" Win 94 models, a Canadian Centinneal, and a couple of 1894-1994 Centinneals, both of those with 26" half octagon, half round barrels, button magazines, that I think only hold 3 rounds, maybe 4, crescent buttplates and very fancy wood. I lucked into two NIB in a sporting goods store in Monroe, La, back about 2001 or 2002 and brought them home. Now I do have several Marlin rifles, my dads old 336 SC in 35 Rem, hence the no need or desire for a 30-30, Several 1895 models in 45-70, Guide Gun, 1894 Cowboy and standard, then a 336 cowboy in 38-55, and a couple of 1894 models, a 44mag Cowboy, and a little 1894cl in 32-20. I suppose you notice the Cowboy models, I like the long octagon barrels, and full blown rifles vs carbines.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Man! Y’all need to stop talking about lever guns! I have wanted this ever since I saw it on the SiCo website. Gonna have to build one!!!
8C856970-7C3B-4B70-868D-B2AE60E08540.jpeg

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Man! Y’all need to stop talking about lever guns! I have wanted this ever since I saw it on the SiCo website. Gonna have to build one!!!
View attachment 1369261
So I have it pieced together! In case anyone gets a wild hair...
Gonna need a Henry Lever Action X .45-70 (Or a Marlin 1895 Dark if they start showing up!)
A midwest Industries .45-70 M-Lok forend
2 sets of Black Wood USA wood AR-15 smooth rail pannels, Walnut (one set with hand stop, one set without)
A Boyd's wood butt stock in nutmeg laminate (or XX Walnut if you want pretty wood!)
Add a pic rail section (probbly EGW), a red dot or LVPO, and a suppressor and done! A Space Cowboy rifle!!! Where's muh wallet! Grand total... $1850-ish depending on the optic. Oh and some 410gr Honandy Subsonic ammo! Yeah... Havent seen that in ages :(

*Also shown so I can remember my resources! :lol:

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
🤔 It can't be stressed enough how well levers point, balance and carry. Cannot be beat for snap shooting or carry in heavy brush. 🙂IMO

AA

They are pretty agile when swinging and pointing. I picked up this Marlin 336Y youth model a few years back for the heavy brush we have in Oklahoma.

FB057748-A40B-49A1-AD19-F6DE51A8E720.jpeg

It’s so small and light it reminded me of a Trapper model type .30-.30. Have always used my Savage 110 .270 in a tree stand when deer hunting. I’d like to get that lever action back into the thickets one day before I get too old.

I’m gettin’ too skeered to hunt public land anymore, I need to find me a private lease one day somewhere.

Black bears are in a total different league than browns. Black bears are rather easily killed comparably speaking. They aren’t thick skinned and they aren’t known for being difficult. My family has shot several. They just tip over for the most part with a decent shot. Using a cannon won’t make a poor shot better. There is no need to use special bullets. Regular old core lock cheapies are perfect. The big bore gun has its allure though.

My brother bought a nice 336 in 444 Marlin long ago. I have used my trusty 336 in 30-30 for decades. He liked my 30-30 after he borrowed it one year and shot 2 nice bucks, one from a blind and one still hunting. He wanted something different in the same caliber because he wanted to black bear hunt. He was looking for a 45-70, but back then you had to pretty much handload to get hot 45-70 rounds. The factory rounds were anemic for use in old guns so it was suggested that a 444 would be more feasible. The guy selling him the gun asked him if he minded recoil. He told him it was for black bear so he’d deal with it. The salesman then told him the 30-30 was ample, but my young bro had his mind set. Fast forward a few decades and my brother cries every time we sight in hunting rifles at camp. My 12 year old son has my old 30-30 now and he shoots it for hours, but those big bore levers are brutal. The guns are substantially heavier and the rounds cost 2-3-4 times as much. There are few choices in factory ammunition as well for the 444. Luckily, the amazingly expensive Hornady ammo shoots great for him. He looks forward every year to shooting one group of 3 and calling it good. If he needs to adjust the scope, he starts to **** and moan. Mind you, we use a lead sled….

He complains yearly that he should have bought a 30-30, but if he ever goes for big or dangerous game at closer range, he’s prepared. I like his gun plenty, but it’s no fun to shoot more than a couple times. I can only imagine how a 45-70 loaded hot with a 300 grain bullet feels on the old shoulder. The boys who shoot that mule have my respect.

I just got back from deer camp. No shooters this trip, but great time with the family. I enjoyed rereading this thread.

nikonNUT

@Bhugo I'm picking up what you're putting down. There is a reason my .338LM weighs 33 pounds. I will say that there is a pretty neat felt recoil caluclator and I have checked. The .338? 16ft/lbs. The 45-70 in sub-sonic? 26 ft/lbs (Assuming 70gr of powder). A sub-sonic 30-30? 6.5 ft/lb. Might go that route. Same parts are available!

@Bhugo I'm picking up what you're putting down. There is a reason my .338LM weighs 33 pounds. I will say that there is a pretty neat felt recoil caluclator and I have checked. The .338? 16ft/lbs. The 45-70 in sub-sonic? 26 ft/lbs (Assuming 70gr of powder). A sub-sonic 30-30? 6.5 ft/lb. Might go that route. Same parts are available!
I’d like to see a 33# gun! Very cool

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've always wanted a .45-70 lever gun. I have a Thompson Center Encore .45-70 carbine. It is fairly brutal to shoot. It is surely lighter than a lever gun. I'd probably handload a reduced but still potent .45-70 with accuracy and shootability as primary goals. Even a moderate load would take out anything I'm liable to shoot.

Top Bottom