What's new

Black Badger

I never see anyone mention Black Badger when it comes to brushes, I know it is cheaper compared to the other grades so there must be a reason, but on the other hand it would make some pretty brushes. How does it compare?

It depends on what you want to compare? It is cheaper than so called higher grades of hair, but it will allow you to make a lather. It won't be as soft, and I don't think it will perform as well as higher grade hair. If you only have the budget for Black Badger then it will be perfect.

If you want Black Badger for looks then it's cheap enough and can look very good in some brushes.

Are you buying some?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I found black badger a bit too prickly for my taste, however, this was a grand idea.

attachment.php

Without a doubt, black badgers are far less soft than even a run-of-the-mill "best" badger knot, nevermind the silvertips and finests. Most people tend to pan black badgers pretty harshly. But I think they have their place. When dry, the black badgers are downright scratchy. When you get them wet, they soften up a slight bit, but you would still never describe it as soft. But if you don't mind some prickles in your brush, then black badgers can be quite nice. They will dig into any soap you throw at it, and release lather really well.

They do indeed make more striking aesthetics. But beyond just looks, they perform just fine. Is it luxurious? No. If you have sensitive skin, will you maybe feel like you are getting scraped a little? Yes. But if you have hardy skin and a coarse beard, sometimes really scrubbing up with a black badger feels quite nice.

All said, I think they are best for a "change-of-pace" knot. You aren't going to want to use it every day. And I think we are a bit spoiled by all the amazing knot choices that are out there, to the point that black badgers will seem useless to many people. But I'm not one of those people. I use my black badger once every couple weeks, and quite enjoy it.

In my limited experience, a black badger is great if you like a good bit of scritch in your brush. You don't get a luxury feel, but they work just fine and make a nice change from, say, a well broken in boar.

Black badger up to silver all have there place. Every man has a preference but at the same time a curiosity. I have silvers, finest's, best and am going to add a couple of black badgers and even a couple of horse hair too. Just got to try them all!!

Ray

It depends on what you want to compare? It is cheaper than so called higher grades of hair, but it will allow you to make a lather. It won't be as soft, and I don't think it will perform as well as higher grade hair. If you only have the budget for Black Badger then it will be perfect.

If you want Black Badger for looks then it's cheap enough and can look very good in some brushes.

Are you buying some?

No, I went with the super finest super 2 band and for my 2nd brush I am going with a Synthetic, I have a RV synthetic and it feels great just a little small. But the black would look good with Lucite.

Like others, I love the look of black badger, but find it just too prickly for my tastes. Maybe if I was going to restore or make a "show" brush . . .

CooncatBob made these some years ago on my assignment specifically for bowl lathering. He was very much into black badger and a long handle for bowl lathering. The man was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few Omega black badger brushes.I love these brushes,the quality is fantastic and they work well with creams or soaps.Not the gel-like tips of the Rooney Heritage or even the Simpsons ,but they are not "scratchy" at all to me,maybe for someone with really sensitive skin,but the average face,no !..If you want to try a black badger,Omega is a top choice.

A number of years ago I was placing an order for knots with Larry at whipped dog, he said "I'm sending you a black badger, if you like it pay for it" or something along those lines. Well he had never been wrong before so I paid for it with my order. They are a bit scratchy and I love if I haven't used anything else since, and the thing is I have it in a crappy handle. If you looked at all my brushes you might ask what is that ugly brush doing there? Well it is the one I use every day.

A number of years ago I was placing an order for knots with Larry at whipped dog, he said "I'm sending you a black badger, if you like it pay for it" or something along those lines. Well he had never been wrong before so I paid for it with my order. They are a bit scratchy and I love if I haven't used anything else since, and the thing is I have it in a crappy handle. If you looked at all my brushes you might ask what is that ugly brush doing there? Well it is the one I use every day.

I too have one from Larry--ordered silvertip, got sent a black one by mistake (he said to keep it and he sent my silvertip). I love it! It is more scritchy than best badger, but it loads like a vacuum on a puck and performs admirably all around.

Top Bottom