What's new

Black Badger | Why Not? | There's Precious Little Info On Them

I have bought several black badger knots and scratchy due to clipping was what I got. Not scritch but scratch. Not all was lost as it was great opportunity to try bleaching and tip modifications which was pretty good actually. Strong back, cheap price and decent tips and feel if done right. But surely not the best of hair/knots to start with.

HAIR.JPG

Let me add that Pure Badger really means that there is nothing but badger. It is not mixed with boar or horse or synthetic or anything else. In the vintage years Pure Badger probably was reasonably good. I have an old Erskine that is identified a Pure Badger and it doesn't seem to have trimmed tips for example. Sometime Pure Badger is also used with a higher designation so in one place it is identified as Pure and somewhere else on the brush it is also designated as Best or even Finest. As posted above Pure Badger is often trimmed. My experience is that most of it is today.

I purchased a Olivina Premium Badger Brush. It is one of the worst shaving purchases I have ever made.

I guess the brush would fit the description of a black badger brush. I have sensitive skin and this brush felt like I was applying my lather with a steel wire brush. I guess someone might be able to use it, but it certainly is not suitable for me. Even when I purchase a silvertip badger, I have to go through and pluck out any black tipped hairs from the knot. If I did that with a black badger brush, there would be no hairs left.

Let me add that Pure Badger really means that there is nothing but badger. It is not mixed with boar or horse or synthetic or anything else. In the vintage years Pure Badger probably was reasonably good. I have an old Erskine that is identified a Pure Badger and it doesn't seem to have trimmed tips for example.

Until Kent recently stopped making badger brushes, they labeled all their badger brushes as "pure badger", even though they clearly weren't Pure Badger in the sense that, say, Simpson uses the term. I'd wager that the reason it got associated with low-end brushes was that it was probably a selling point for low-end brushes back in the day...i.e., if you're paying silvertip money, you wouldn't need reassurance that it's 100% badger, since that's a given at that point, but for low-end brushes the fact that something was all badger with no boar mixed in was probably something people were looking for.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I own Pure badger brushes made by Simpsons and Rooney. They are very good. They aren't silver tips, however. They have a lot of face feel. I would consider buying one by Shavemac, and possibly an Omega, though I doubt I will ever do so. There are many, many brushes sold as Pure badger that I wouldn't go near. I enjoy a light exfoliating brush, but I've no desire to harrow my face, and that's what cheap Pure brushes will do. May as well drag a rock rake across your face.

I own Pure badger brushes made by Simpsons and Rooney. They are very good. They aren't silver tips, however. They have a lot of face feel. I would consider buying one by Shavemac, and possibly an Omega, though I doubt I will ever do so. There are many, many brushes sold as Pure badger that I wouldn't go near. I enjoy a light exfoliating brush, but I've no desire to harrow my face, and that's what cheap Pure brushes will do. May as well drag a rock rake across your face.

Make no mistake, sir! The Omega, if you swirl, scratches. It doesn't only have "face feel". It scratches. If you paint only, then it is different. I swirl anyway! I have african skin. Having feathers also helps! :lol1:

Make no mistake, sir! The Omega, if you swirl, scratches. It doesn't only have "face feel". It scratches. If you paint only, then it is different. I swirl anyway! I have african skin. Having feathers also helps! :lol1:
All three of Omega's badger types are labelled Pure Badger (Puro Tasso) on their brush handles:

1618780136371.png

Simpson's Pure grade nor the shavemac Pure (I've had) are trimmed to shape. Cannot say anything about the new shavemac pure though.

This is a pic of Simpson Best on the left and Pure on the right.
You can see the Pure grade is more coarse. I have not counted or
sampled but I would say there's more off grade in the Pure as well.

Are those stout black hairs 'guard hairs' or just random hair that
makes it way into a batch?
View media item 65955

Simpson's Pure grade nor the shavemac Pure (I've had) are trimmed to shape. Cannot say anything about the new shavemac pure though.

This is a pic of Simpson Best on the left and Pure on the right.
You can see the Pure grade is more coarse. I have not counted or
sampled but I would say there's more off grade in the Pure as well.

Are those stout black hairs 'guard hairs' or just random hair that
makes it way into a batch?
View media item 65955

I have Simpson pure and although it is better than Omega's black badger in face feel, it is still a bit scratchy and prickly. I wouldn't recommend it to gentlemen that have often skin irritation. This said, i would say the Omega is more utilitarian, because i generally prefer higher lofts. I find it easier to build and to release lather. The Simpson is too dense and short, as usual. The Simpson best has very different feeling than the Simpson pure. It is much easier on your skin.

I have a TGN black badger knot I put into a handle, probably my favorite natural brush, put it around 46mm loft. In my opinion it would lose a lot of scrub with the lofts semogue, omega and others set the loft at.

Random bump...

I set my last Shave Forge black badger knot into a heavy, coal black, vintage Ever-Ready handle.
3A7B9765-219C-4569-8B70-BA7745CE8104.jpeg

Handle 51mm, loft 51mm

The only positive things about the black badger brush I had is that it's gone and it looked cool. Roughest brush I've ever used.

↕↕↕↕

Back in the 80s we had a guy turn up at the mill in his car and asked if we would buy a badger off him that he had just run over in his car and killed - he had loaded it into the boot(trunk) of his car and headed down to see us. We had to explain to him that we didn't use British badger hair as
  • it was protected and
  • it was too coarse to use for brushes.

We gave him a guided tour of the mill and then headed for the main door to walk him back to his car. As we all approached his car you could see the whole chassis rocking from side to side and coming from the boot was the sound of a pretty pi**ed off badger which had obviously come round from being knocked out from being hit by a car! Not much advice we could give the guy apart from trying to devise some method fo opening the boot from the safety of the roof of his car! To this day we still don't know what the outcome was...!:lol:

View attachment 1252974

He shaves with a chain saw.

EXCELLENT! Made my day!! :a29:

I'm still driving a Parker Black Badger brush I bought 7 years ago. I keep thinking I want to get something else, but there's nothing wrong with this brush at all. Being a face latherer, it had some "schritch" when it was new, but not enough to be irritating, and it quickly smoothed out. If your face is extra sensitive, it might not be a match for you. But for me, a Black Badger is a value.
'

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm still driving a Parker Black Badger brush I bought 7 years ago. I keep thinking I want to get something else, but there's nothing wrong with this brush at all. Being a face latherer, it had some "schritch" when it was new, but not enough to be irritating, and it quickly smoothed out. If your face is extra sensitive, it might not be a match for you. But for me, a Black Badger is a value.
'

Cool.

Thanks.

Top Bottom