What's new

Black Badger Friday

In faux horn

0DAC485B-723A-4B37-862B-B006AB016AA7.jpeg
3150CBDD-FA0E-49A8-B120-24CEEBE2CA74.jpeg
60AE1BDB-AFEB-449F-92A0-ECDFD5E78F4D.jpeg

Thanks as always guys. I like a lot of different knot types unlike many folks, and appreciate most of them for what they are “good at”. Hate to admit black badger is probably one of the lower on my list though.......but I am down to only one other knot that I was saving.....so black badger it was :) I bought this one to do some experimenting with so maybe will be improved soon.

The handle was a slightly different shape for me and I had an idea and image in mind when I started. Time at the lathe can change things as you know....so after a couple of unexpected blowouts in the blank it has much less than the 4mm ring I planned and 2-3 mm shorter on the base too LOL. But all in all I was OK with final result. This is a much lighter colored “faux horn” than I used before and frankly more resembles marble or stone I’m my opinion.

Quality time on the lathe and more unique brushes on the shelf. Which....by the way.....anyone need some brushes LOL?!?! Fun hobby but I see I will quickly be on overload.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for your update @LJS ! Is lathe work relatively new to you? I haven't done any since high skool over 40 years ago. 45? You did a bang up job on that handle my friend.

No but yes as funny as that sounds. Grew up with family spending time woodworking and did basic wood lathe work up to salad bowls etc. And I think the last thing I turned was about 1988. So I later got into metal working and have a few metal lathes I spent plenty of time running....and again later then inherited the old wood lathes I grew up learning on. I got a more modern wood lathe (laguna 1216) because my wood lathes were from 1960s and 1930s. All that said, what I started doing recently is using these plastic materials - acrylic, resin, polyester. And with that came some new learning as well as holding a tool in my hands for the first time in over 30 years. Frankly, it has been new and that has been quite fun. Do it again for the first time as they say :) I like the results which is a plus. It feels rewarding to make something you like and are proud of the results. I’ve made some on my smallest metal lathe (in the air conditioned part of my shop) and I’ve made some on the laguna. The laguna is slick I gotta say. It will get a spot in the climate control and is the right size unlike my big ones so that it can happen :)

I lathered, washed, and dried this knot a few times just to clean it up and start to break it in. Tried to use it yesterday and decided to swap brushes for second pass lathering. Can use it yes. Do not like it though. Scratchy harsh tips. Interestingly washes out quickly and easily though.

Plan when I got this was to try bleaching the tips. There are few brushes I can’t or don’t like using. This one fits that small list sadly. Definitely worth potential sacrifice to experimentation. Home made Manchurian on the way :)

I only have one black badger brush. Not the best, but it it is a serviceable little thing that didn't break the bank.

My only brush for about a decade was a black badger. It broke in after some use and was a pretty decent brush. I have several brushes now so I don't really use it anymore but there's really nothing wrong with it. It may be worth trying a longer trial period with yours.

My only brush for about a decade was a black badger. It broke in after some use and was a pretty decent brush. I have several brushes now so I don't really use it anymore but there's really nothing wrong with it. It may be worth trying a longer trial period with yours.

I don’t doubt that one bit. My first was a “pure badger” as that sounded like quality to me and I didn’t know anything about the grades at the time. Still have it and it is soft as a puff as it was a daily driver for many years. But I admittedly expected this from the black badger. I bought it to play around with bleaching tips specifically and cheaply. I put it in this handle mainly because I’m pretty much out of knots :p

Top Bottom